Earliest brassica planting date?

Chipdasqrrl

Last year I planted my turnips in mid to late July, and they got off to a great start. The problem was, deer started hitting the plot very hard in the middle of August. As a result, I had no green left in late fall and smaller than ideal bulbs (though they did provide winter food.)
So my question is, when is the earliest you could (should) plant brassicas? I’m in northern Michigan and people say you can plant after the 4th of July.
Mainly what I’m looking for here is for people to share their past experience of an early brassica planting.

I've planted July 4th in Northern Michigan with good success. Got good sized bulbs that lasted into winter. At the time I was worried about it being too early, but didn't find anything negative about planting this early.

I plant them in central WI first week of July

Bulbs get a little bigger than an egg. I plant them thick to choke out weekd and get a lot of leaf growth

Last year was perfect

Chip- how big is your plot of Turnips you intend to do and how’s how deer density? The reason I ask because maybe in Sept, you can save some room for Cereal Rye, Oats to take some pressure off the Turnips. My deer also hit Turnips prior to a frost.

Chip- how big is your plot of Turnips you intend to do and how’s how deer density? The reason I ask because maybe in Sept, you can save some room for Cereal Rye, Oats to take some pressure off the Turnips. My deer also hit Turnips prior to a frost.

Whoops I forgot to mention, it’s a 1/2 acre plot with 10-15 deer visiting each day. Not exactly big enough to save room, but maybe throwing some seed right into the brassicas would work. Good point

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

If you plant in early July (Turnips) , you don’t want to plant Winter Rye until Sept. That’s almost 2 months. Your turnips could be mature by then especially if you hit them with a dose of Urea before a rain (early on in the planting rather than later is better) so throwing Rye over the plot during this time, might be hard to get good germination rates. But again, Rye will grow on your head. I myself would save a decent size strip for Rye but don’t underestimate the Rye. The deer can’t kill it, it grows on your head and will grow in VERY low temps. Something to think about. A 1/2 acre plot is decent size but 10-15 deer is a lot. In my honest opinion, I’d plant something that tolerates browse pressure more ( Aka Winter Cereal Rye, not Rye grass). Nothing wrong with the LC Mix either. Good luck.

If you plant in early July (Turnips) , you don’t want to plant Winter Rye until Sept. That’s almost 2 months. Your turnips could be mature by then especially if you hit them with a dose of Urea before a rain (early on in the planting rather than later is better) so throwing Rye over the plot during this time, might be hard to get good germination rates. But again, Rye will grow on your head. I myself would save a decent size strip for Rye but don’t underestimate the Rye. The deer can’t kill it, it grows on your head and will grow in VERY low temps. Something to think about. A 1/2 acre plot is decent size but 10-15 deer is a lot. In my honest opinion, I’d plant something that tolerates browse pressure more ( Aka Winter Cereal Rye, not Rye grass). Nothing wrong with the LC Mix either. Good luck.

Good info. I’m thinking I’ll want to throw some rye and red clover into it right around the first of September (The clover for Spring). Fortunately there are other plots close by to take a bit of pressure off of the turnips.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Back