Question on planting standard size apple trees .

Worm

Ive got a question for all of you apple tree gurus .
For the past 10 years or so , Ive been planting my apple trees on semi dwarf rootstock ( m111 ).
I want to start planting some standard size trees . Im currently considering Antonovka rootstock .
I keep seeing conflicting advice on planting depth . Some nurseries say plant the graft an inch or two above soil line . Others say standard size rootstock should be planting below the soil line .
Im confused !
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
John

With a semi dwarf rootstock such as m111 if you plant below the graft union then you will eventually get rotting from the scion which will result in a full size tree. IMO it wouldn't really matter with a full size rootstock whether you did it or not.

I agree with dogdoc, and I think you are wise for wanting some full sized trees.

I really like a lot of my semi dwarfs, but in the future I will be planting mostly full sized trees. Last year I planted some semi dwarfs but put the graft unions nearly a foot below grade on purpose so that the scions would root and develop into full sized trees. Those trees are looking outstanding this year. I did the same thing this year with some Golden Hornet Crabs. I planted 2 deep and 3 with the graft above grade. This is kind of an experiment for me to watch in the future.

I know you probably don't want to get into a bunch of long reading, but if you ever want to delve into the many reasons that trees on their own roots have many positive attributes, look at my thread:

http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/the-forbidden-apple-tree-knowledge-thread.2478/

Best Wishes

I agree with dogdoc, and I think you are wise for wanting some full sized trees.

I really like a lot of my semi dwarfs, but in the future I will be planting mostly full sized trees. Last year I planted some semi dwarfs but put the graft unions nearly a foot below grade on purpose so that the scions would root and develop into full sized trees. Those trees are looking outstanding this year. I did the same thing this year with some Golden Hornet Crabs. I planted 2 deep and 3 with the graft above grade. This is kind of an experiment for me to watch in the future.

I know you probably don't want to get into a bunch of long reading, but if you ever want to delve into the many reasons that trees on their own roots have many positive attributes, look at my thread:

http://deerhunterforum.com/index.php?threads/the-forbidden-apple-tree-knowledge-thread.2478/

Best Wishes

Thanks dogdoc and Native Hunter
I know that I wont be planting any trees until next year , but Ive been thinking about it lately . I get a little "crazy " about apple and pear trees Some kind of weird addiction , I guess . Just ask my wife .
My farm is in Central Virginia, not too far from Charlottesville . Lots of clay and very rocky . Some of my sites get hit pretty hard with wind . I try not to stake trees but have had to stake a few of them for 1 season , or so .
Some trees have thrived , others, not so much . Ive learned to plant only disease resistant varieties .
Some of my better producers are Hewes crabapple, liberty , blacktwig and dolgo crab . Im now concentrating on more late season varieties .
I also starting planting native persimmon seedlings a couple of years ago. I realize that they wont be producing for a long time . I will read your link , native Hunter
I know that Im getting long winded and starting to ramble .
Thanks again
Worm

Back