Just hit the biggest deer of my life. Used a crossbow and he was broadside. Heard a loud Crack and away he went. There's no blood and it's snowing hard. Waited an hour and went over the hill to try and find him. Still no blood, no arrow, found his tracks where he went down 2 flats and crossed a creek. It's too deep to cross right now. Please any suggestions would be so helpful!

It's a tough call in weather like that, but I wouldn't push him.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

If you are in for an all nighter I would push him. If you are getting heavy snow you will never find him. I would stay back as long as I could still see his tracks and go slow. If you have a good light you might be able to see him bedded and back out for a bit. Use the snow to your advantage he can't get away as long as tracks don't cover over.

How far? What kind of angle? What did the deer do after the shot? Do you have a reason to believe you hit the deer anywhere but where you aimed?
How much snow is forecasted? When is it quitting?

Mark the trail and here is why. It is the biggest deer and if the snow continues, you want that mark to pick up from later and it can be under a snow blanket. Mark the trail. I assume you know the lay of the land. Finding this deer may be a problem solving situation. The loud sound makes me think shoulder blade.

I mean no disrespect but you had to be breathing fire with your adrenaline level sky high. We don't think well under those conditions.

Make sure you are safe getting out in that weather. Hand warmers, compass and extra batteries for your lights. I would hope you have one person with you. Four eyes are better than two.

Avoid jumping on the worst conclusion - it may be a long journey to put your hands on his rack.

Blood can be slow to show in some hit until the body cavity gets full first.

Good luck and let us know how this story ends.

Wayne

I would at least track him to his first bed. If he hasn't laid down yet he isn't going to.

I agree with Chummer. Also I will say a loud crack and no blood sounds like a shoulder hit.

If you punched through to a lung there should be some blood within 100 yards. And a one lunger can take a long time to die, and may not. If you bump him, back out. It may be worth checking up and down the creek a ways.

I'd follow tracks until blood appears or until tracks disappear. If no blood will be tough. If tracks disappear will be tougher. If you find blood see if it follows a major trail. If it does, mark 3-4 spots to get general direction and back out. If it's cold like it is here he will bed down and die. Wait him out. If you have no clear direction it's tough to say. I'm usually in the "wait it out" camp. Snow is way better than rain.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

I had the same thing happen to me this year with my compound. I hit him broadside with a 2.0" rage. Upon entry, that rage entered horizontal dead center on a rib. It broke through, but it hit another rib on the way in also. I thought I hit a shoulder, the smack was so loud. The arrow stayed in him for a ways and he made it about 350 yards. My shot was a touch back. Tracking was tough with blood glow. We gave up and returned in the morning to last blood. I said ok, wait here I'm just going to look around the horizon a bit, then I spotted him stone dead laying 20 yards away. Wish we would have found him the day I shot him. Just a warning, from last spot of blood to where we found him was at least 25 yards and there wasn't a spot of blood in the ground in between. His cavity filled up with blood, we found a few spots he stood that the blood poured out of him, but it wasn't like the trails in tv. These big bucks can take a hit very well if it's not perfect.

Loud crack could also mean a leg or spine. Your profile doesn't say where you live. If tracking dogs are available I would use the phone right away! That's your best tool in this situation. If not, track away until you get some sort of confirmation.

35 yards. Broadside shot. He wheeled right around and went over the hill. His tail was tucked didn't flag. Couldn't cross the creek last night it was too high. 5 inches of snow are on the ground in SE Ohio. About 2 inches have fell since the shot was made. His front leg toward me was stepping forward and I let it fly right behind it. I was hoping the loud Crack was going in and hitting the opposite shoulder blade. The lack of blood is what concerns me the most. At this point tracking him is about out of the question. Going to have to find him laying. Doesn't look good. His sheds from last year scored 190+ this year I was guessing 200+ thanks for the suggestions

35 yards. Broadside shot. He wheeled right around and went over the hill. His tail was tucked didn't flag. Couldn't cross the creek last night it was too high. 5 inches of snow are on the ground in SE Ohio. About 2 inches have fell since the shot was made. His front leg toward me was stepping forward and I let it fly right behind it. I was hoping the loud Crack was going in and hitting the opposite shoulder blade. The lack of blood is what concerns me the most. At this point tracking him is about out of the question. Going to have to find him laying. Doesn't look good. His sheds from last year scored 190+ this year I was guessing 200+ thanks for the suggestions

You'd think you'd have seen the arrow sticking out if you drove it hard into a leg or shoulder (or find the arrow at the shot location)I bet that arrows in him and you'll find him. Good luck

Well if that is what his sheds score, he is the buck of a lifetime. What broad head do you shot?

My conclusion is you hit the deer good and he is dead. Finding him is another story. Putting your hands on his antler would be my goal. The meat I would think that is a no go. Coyotes just might be your friend now because they can help you find him.

DoctorBrady said find a tracker is that is allowed by state laws. The tracking dogs are superior to any other option you have.

I do have concern for your safety with a creek. Do you have a friend to track with you?

Truth is stranger than fiction. Hard to know what happened. Did you have a good shooting lane or was it a narrow shooting lane? I know that bolts and tree saplings can create sounds that might mimic a shoulder blade.

I think this story ends in your favor. You know many great deer have the most unusual harvest stories. Guess your harvest story is going to be another one. ;)

Wayne

Last edited:
It was a clear shooting lane. Wide open. Muzzy broadhead. Correct I'm not real concerned with the condition of the meat. I just want to recover the head. Tracking dogs are legal. Today I am going to go attempt to find him with a buddy. Hopefully the coyotes did find him. Should be easier to see. Sure hope you're right in finding him

Don't give up until every possible option is exhausted. It took me over a week of off and on grid searching to find a buck I shot 2 years ago. However I did find him. If you have a good hit on him you will find him. Hits that are high or have a lot of bone don't tend to bleed much. Normally a "crack" from a crossbow means you hit something solid. If dogs are legal use them as long as they are not hampering your efforts. As long as you have not further pushed him - IF he is mortally hit he should be in his first bed.....if yotes have not pushed him. Mine crossed a large stream in flood condition as well so I had to wait to go that far also. Use your head and think like a deer. Where can he travel and where are the thick nasty places to hide. Walk every deer trail you can find looking for sign. Look for any sign of blood or fresh snapped limbs and the like on trees, tall grass and shrubs. My deer was gut shot and bled very little except when bedded. Stay persistent, stay positive, stay safe and good luck.

Some times when a deer is hit and not bleeding a lot in a fresh snow the blood drops will melt into snow on contact. This makes it look like the deer is not bleeding but it really is. You said that you followed deer to creek, were there tracks on opposite side of creek? Also check creek the deer might of ended up in creek. You may have only got one lung and not a pass thru which will limit the amount of blood, might only have specks. When you get there this morning look for crows or ravens circling.

If I was you I would be in there looking for my deer especially if he is that caliber of a deer. I am assuming you gave him over night at this point. That deer is either dead within a couple hundred yards of the shot or he is on his feet.

Saw tracks on opposite side of creek last night. Due to flood conditions couldn't cross. I get off work at 3pm and going straight to last track. Hopefully able to cross creel 1 way or another. Will post results tonight. Thanks for all the comments

Back