2020 Live from the Stand

Well, it was prety slow this morning with one big 9 point across the food plot, but this evening made up for it. Deer everywhere from the minute I climbed into the stand until I climbed out. Bunch of dinks chasing does around and right before dark a 5.5y/o buck known as Big 8 stepped out with a doe. If our freezer wasn't already full he'd be a perfect one to take since he's regressed a little bit this year. He's still a tank though. Looks like I'm mostly taking pictures this year unless a big stranger walks out. Heck of a first hunt to start off the season. Oh yeah, coyotes everywhere. Definitely need to do some thinning out after season.

8C408281-543A-4337-A776-2254CBDE176D.jpeg Six point in my feeder pen. I saw a nice eight point for a few minutes but he never was where I could get a shot at him. He was thrashing a sapling about a hundred yards from me but there was a little brush between him and me. I’m not sure I would have shot him anyway because I couldn’t get a good look at his body. I heard him grunt a couple times in the woods and then the same six came out and thrashed the same sapling. 8C408281-543A-4337-A776-2254CBDE176D.jpeg

Sitting in a rut stand at very back of our place. East wind is perfect for it. Sat here this AM and saw 2 dinks and 2 dogs...dinks were in range...

9f9da439dc2905f99e426228356adc26.jpg

Was seeing a little button buck about every trip to the woods but it looks like one of my lovely neighbors decided to mortally wound him I’m sure with one of the many rifle shots I have heard throughout archery season...

d97a4aa6d79eb9da7284f6793d42bd3f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sad to see.

While hunting up at my place I heard several "bows" going off at evening and morning time. Locals starting off early, seems to happen every year as Archery nears the end.

Live from the recliner... awoke at first gray light, watched doe and 2 fawns at backyard feeder. As the season wears on less and less deer come to the backyard. In September we had 9 coming like clockwork, 2 weeks into October that number dropped to 7...by last week in October it dropped to 5 and now I just see the 3. This is the reason we never kill a doe up here on our place...because the neighbors kill their share as well as ours...with rifles outside of gun season of course. We have 1 ranger in our county and he is very overworked. You have to actually catch someone doing it in person which I have in the past but the deer are actually being shot on neighboring properties and I only have permission to go on one of them so I just listen to the rifles at first and last light...

Yesterday afternoon I sat at the back of our place and at just before last light I heard a deer walking in the woods. It was a young basket 8 point and he walked right past me at 10 yards. I waited 5 minutes for him to get on up the trail and just as I was tying my bow off to get down I heard more steps coming but light was very poor and I could never make anything out. I wasn’t in a feeding area so after another 10 minutes without hearing anything I thought maybe the deer snuck off somehow so I got down and of course as soon as my feet hit the ground all heck broke loose...deer blowing, foot stomping, running...the whole 9 yards. Sometimes I see pics and vids of guys easing out to their shooting house on the hill and watching deer till dark and then just sneaking out with no worries. My place is almost solid woods and there is no sneaking...if I play it safe up close to the house I may only bust 1 or 2 deer coming out. If I go to my rut stands I am gonna bust many going in of the morning and many on the way out...

Got the office work done in warp speed and headed over to the old home place. Came in from the East instead of south and bumped a buck and doe from hay bale row. I really think I could have walked right towards the buck and shot him. Good thing is, he wouldn't let the doe head to the draw, the same draw I hope to see deer coming from after a while. I'm hoping there are other bucks in there.
B8DA8C1F-F559-4809-8096-65CEEA3F1FF7.jpeg
58 yards I ranged him

Last edited:
About 15 before last legal light, the above buck showed up in the plot alone. He apparently had good reason to try to keep the doe out of the draw. I’d like to see who stole his gal. I also got an idea of why the does aren’t showing up in the plot in daylight. They are getting harassed without mercy. A doe and fawn braved the plot right at last light and got chased all over, a couple bucks were still after her when I left. Made it easy to get out clean.

Back at it this afternoon. Are tractors good luck?:D
12CF1758-CA01-4105-BE2D-52AEC6190F73.jpeg

Got bullwinkle out of the barn for this hunt. 8E6AC596-558B-4FDA-A73B-FD6245319B5E.jpeg

Ended up having a pretty good evening. Apparently, tractors don’t bother deer at all indeed. Saw 11 does and fawns and 6 bucks. No shooters. Almost got. Shot off at a doe, but she just wouldn’t hold still enough.

0B116139-535F-44C8-AEB9-D815A57AB46A.jpeg 466C9F73-794F-4A38-9AF4-A04D2CAC17AD.jpeg FB1EA942-ADE6-49A9-B5E8-0805009F08F7.jpeg Well, it’s not quite live or from my upstate NY property, but I thought I’d share this hunting report. I made it back out to the eastern MT badlandsC925F9A1-2A0B-4AC0-BD5F-954937553E70.jpeg DC8717CB-3A49-45C4-8E53-2D22236CBB62.jpeg . This trip we struggled with adverse weather 4 of the 5 days. In addition, the rut was a week late kicking off. Still, I passed 4 or 5 160- 165” 24 to 28” wide deer looking for the rare monsters this country can produce (we chased a 220” buck last year and the stars never aligned). Although the photos show the country is nearly treeless, there are in innumerable ravines and even 6’ tall sage flats where the deer hide. We averaged 60+miles a day on this particular ranch from the SxS. We hunt by extensively glassing from high points regularly spotting deer from more than a mile a way. The bucks are either with the does, or bedded on high points watching the does. This buck was spotted from 900 yds and we were able to work into just under 200yds. One shot through the lungs from a 270wsm dropped him in his tracks. The guide estimated live weight at 280-300lbs. For perspective, the neck measured 34” in diameter. The buck was just over 31” wide.

Last edited:
Back