2020 Live from the Stand

Was hunting the Massey this evening and ended the night by visiting with 3 deputes and a game warden. Seems like a deer was poached off a neighbor, and between my account and the accounts of a couple others, they should be knocking on a door right about now. I hope somebody gets busted; they popped off a shot right in my direction!

Was the perpetrator apprehended?

G

Morning of rest for me...I have been at it morning and evening for 8 days...heard a shot from the bedroom of my target deer so seeing what cameras show this afternoon...

Well, I took a picture this morning and planned to post live-in-the-stand but a buck walked out about that time......He walked out to the left of those two pine trees and there’s a small limb that I just didn’t know if I could clear .........1E79776A-6C93-4706-9669-DE058884BE79.jpeg

......for ten minutes or so he fed in the plot and in the pen, but he kept those two pine trees between us. I can’t rest my right elbow on anything at the angle he was so I was a little wobbly. Add to that I was feeling my heart beat like this was my first deer ever. I thought I was over that, apparently not !:D At any rate, he finally gave me a shot I could live with and I squeezed the trigger on my Alamo Precision .280 Remington. He mule kicked, jumped out of the pen and ran toward the neighbor, which is very close and very thick. To top it off, there’s a deep draw not too far from the property line. I shot for the high shoulder but being wobbly I had no idea if the shot was fatal, I just knew he didn’t drop at the shot.

So.....I texted the game warden who hunts the place next door and told him the buck went his way and asked if he was hunting. He texted back “no, go get him”. I’m thinking I may have to go and get Sarge because I have no idea about the shot so I began to gather my stuff up, but before I left I broke off the offending limb :) It took me maybe ten minutes to get back to my truck, shed my outer clothes, and drive around to my plot. As I was driving down the pipeline adjacent to my plot I saw two big hogs between the rows of planted pines between me and the plot. They were getting out of Dodge ! I drive up to my pen, stopping a little short so I can look for his tracks and possibly blood. The tracks were apparent as it rained from about 1:00 this morning to about thirty minutes after I got in the stand. As I was looking in the direction the tracks were heading something out of place caught my eye. I’m thinking it was an antler, took another couple steps and the buck just sort of materialized.:eek: Y’all have all been there, looking right at it but can’t see it. He was lying about 10 yards the other side of the old rotten fence that borders the two places. Right then I thanked God for being able to do what we do, for the venison that He provided for us to use, and most of all, that the buck died quickly (and not in that big draw):)

I judged him at 4.5 years when he was standing broadside in the plot, he’s a little over 15.5” wide, has decent mass, and was fairly heavy. I did run home, put on my hitch haul, and get Sarge and my wife. I’m a lucky guy to be able to put this boy in the freezer this year because between the timber cutters and the warm temps we haven’t been seeing much. B95D4188-CBBA-4F80-8ADB-41FE8F24F842.jpeg1301823A-2F13-4A2F-9A5F-4FF3A9869DBA.jpeg

......for ten minutes or so he fed in the plot and in the pen, but he kept those two pine trees between us. I can’t rest my right elbow on anything at the angle he was so I was a little wobbly. Add to that I was feeling my heart beat like this was my first deer ever. I thought I was over that, apparently not !:D At any rate, he finally gave me a shot I could live with and I squeezed the trigger on my Alamo Precision .280 Remington. He mule kicked, jumped out of the pen and ran toward the neighbor, which is very close and very thick. To top it off, there’s a deep draw not too far from the property line. I shot for the high shoulder but being wobbly I had no idea if the shot was fatal, I just knew he didn’t drop at the shot.

So.....I texted the game warden who hunts the place next door and told him the buck went his way and asked if he was hunting. He texted back “no, go get him”. I’m thinking I may have to go and get Sarge because I have no idea about the shot so I began to gather my stuff up, but before I left I broke off the offending limb :) It took me maybe ten minutes to get back to my truck, shed my outer clothes, and drive around to my plot. As I was driving down the pipeline adjacent to my plot I saw two big hogs between the rows of planted pines between me and the plot. They were getting out of Dodge ! I drive up to my pen, stopping a little short so I can look for his tracks and possibly blood. The tracks were apparent as it rained from about 1:00 this morning to about thirty minutes after I got in the stand. As I was looking in the direction the tracks were heading something out of place caught my eye. I’m thinking it was an antler, took another couple steps and the buck just sort of materialized.:eek: Y’all have all been there, looking right at it but can’t see it. He was lying about 10 yards the other side of the old rotten fence that borders the two places. Right then I thanked God for being able to do what we do, for the venison that He provided for us to use, and most of all, that the buck died quickly (and not in that big draw):)

I judged him at 4.5 years when he was standing broadside in the plot, he’s a little over 15.5” wide, has decent mass, and was fairly heavy. I did run home, put on my hitch haul, and get Sarge and my wife. I’m a lucky guy to be able to put this boy in the freezer this year because between the timber cutters and the warm temps we haven’t been seeing much. View attachment 20705View attachment 20706
Congratulations! Very nice!

I judged him at 4.5 years when he was standing broadside in the plot, he’s a little over 15.5” wide, has decent mass, and was fairly heavy. I did run home, put on my hitch haul, and get Sarge and my wife. I’m a lucky guy to be able to put this boy in the freezer this year because between the timber cutters and the warm temps we haven’t been seeing much. View attachment 20705View attachment 20706
Congrats! I really like those dark antlers!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks so much everyone for the great comments. I will update my habitat thread with more pics and the story ASAP - hopefully tonight but tomorrow for sure. Two different scorers have measured his net typical score the same, so he is going to be a Boone and Crocket, even with a little shrinkage from drying. His gross score is 186+ and his net typical score is 174+. He had 14 scorable points and was a mainframe 12.
awesome Native and that is an amazing beast.

I saw a bunch of deer last night on the Massey, including a shooter, but nothing close. The lower barn plot was full of deer well before dark, the wind should be right for me to give the square bale blind a try this evening. I’m going to run to Orschelns and get a little burlap for more concealment. There were a lot of eyes on that plot yesterday!

Here’s my brother’s buck from yesterday
2EC33A5C-056A-4E40-81C5-BD96FBD39C53.jpeg

Back on stand...haven’t hunted since Saturday evening. Somebody on neighbors place killed something Saturday afternoon about 3:10 pm. I heard them drive up and load whatever it was...It appeared they were less than 100 yards from our fence right in the area my target used as a bedroom. My target had been on camera every night up until that time. I did not hunt Sunday so I could wait till midday and check cams...nothing but every other buck...
I did not hunt Monday so I could check cams midday...all other bucks accounted for except my target and it had been low 20’s overnight so I was sure he would have come for a bite if he was still upright. Told wife I thought my season was over so this morning I started getting the dozer and truck ready to start a new job that I was originally going to start next week. I decided at 1:15 today to check cams 1 more time...glad I did! He was here last night and at 8 am this morning.
f73a891a07b6ab25386b98220ba109da.jpg

How is this for a walking trail to my stands?

a700651bdfb996ba660d3ab0d77484df.jpg

7f463cc823162d55dfa453dfccc59e06.jpg

dc410051ffebc96ca538a79c1e05f1be.jpg

d0e912ce3c8bc7f078f3997b07fb5528.jpg

Wind is *almost* wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back on stand...haven’t hunted since Saturday evening. Somebody on neighbors place killed something Saturday afternoon about 3:10 pm. I heard them drive up and load whatever it was...It appeared they were less than 100 yards from our fence right in the area my target used as a bedroom. My target had been on camera every night up until that time. I did not hunt Sunday so I could wait till midday and check cams...nothing but every other buck...
I did not hunt Monday so I could check cams midday...all other bucks accounted for except my target and it had been low 20’s overnight so I was sure he would have come for a bite if he was still upright. Told wife I thought my season was over so this morning I started getting the dozer and truck ready to start a new job that I was originally going to start next week. I decided at 1:15 today to check cams 1 more time...glad I did! He was here last night and at 8 am this morning.
f73a891a07b6ab25386b98220ba109da.jpg

How is this for a walking trail to my stands?

a700651bdfb996ba660d3ab0d77484df.jpg

7f463cc823162d55dfa453dfccc59e06.jpg

dc410051ffebc96ca538a79c1e05f1be.jpg

d0e912ce3c8bc7f078f3997b07fb5528.jpg

Wind is *almost* wrong...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnny, I like that road. Attention to detail eventually pays off.

Johnny, I like that road. Attention to detail eventually pays off.
Quiet access to me is critical. I know 2 things this dirt path does...quiet approach and departure and deer do not seem to smell where I have walked when I am on bare dirt...as soon as I hit leaves they seem to be able to smell where I walk even though I am wearing rubber boots with scent eliminating spray on all of it and my boots stay outside and never go inside nor do I wear them while driving.

I read an article one time that said a good wind to hunt is almost wrong...I have moved this stand I am in 75 yards west of my favorite stand. Wind is SE. I expect deer from NNW...I have a window. The consensus is mature deer are more likely to come in when the wind is mostly in their favor...we will see...

Quiet access to me is critical. I know 2 things this dirt path does...quiet approach and departure and deer do not seem to smell where I have walked when I am on bare dirt...as soon as I hit leaves they seem to be able to smell where I walk even though I am wearing rubber boots with scent eliminating spray on all of it and my boots stay outside and never go inside nor do I wear them while driving.

I read an article one time that said a good wind to hunt is almost wrong...I have moved this stand I am in 75 yards west of my favorite stand. Wind is SE. I expect deer from NNW...I have a window. The consensus is mature deer are more likely to come in when the wind is mostly in their favor...we will see...

Good thinking right there. Even if it doesn't work this time, it will work sometime.....

Back