A Soil Test

11528743-large.jpg

This picture is from http://www.al.com/living/index.ssf/2012/09/senna_or_sicklepod_is_interest.html
Am I missing something? This does not look like the plant above to me.

This is indeed sicklepod. Not sure what is in Crimsons pic above.

Still stumped on what that last specie may be. I'm gonna keep watching it and see if it flowers to give us another clue. I welcome any guesses......

Looks more like a woody specie....Rhus genus.

Good call. I'm thinking maybe poison sumac......or some type of sumac. Hmmmm.....I wonder where that came from?? I suppose the sicklepod is gone now. I'm gonna go back and look to see if I have some old pics of the sicklepod because I remember the yellow flowers and bean pods. I guess I just eliminated one and allowed the other to establish. Maybe the reason its in the exact same spot was due to me spot spraying the area.

Specie # 14: Ragweed

A good bit of ragweed is coming in. I’ve got a buffer around the edge of my field that’s full of it so I’m sure that’s helped it to encroach. I forget the exact numbers but if you’ll look back in that link on the nutritive value of field weeds I think you’ll find it to be one that’s pretty high on the list from a protein and digestible matter perspective.

IKWMdIW.jpg

Check this one out that’s growing near a common entry trail. This part of my field really gets hammered hard and makes it even that much tougher to get things growing in this particular part of the plot.

lbbwq4y.jpg

In the last few months, I've dug 2 small waterholes. Ragweed has come up on the banks of both holes. For some reason, deer are hitting this ragweed much harder than they are browsing ragweed in other areas on our land.
804cb873e9a7dc32fc41bbbf8602ed70.jpg
c41e87ca98f8c18b25a3d9f2c0f1677f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

In the last few months, I've dug 2 small waterholes. Ragweed has come up on the banks of both holes. For some reason, deer are hitting this ragweed much harder than they are browsing ragweed in other areas on our land.

It's likely due to the watering hole concentrating the deer in the area. There's a lot of browsing around my mineral licks. I attribute that to lots of deer concentrating on that small area. Another spot where I see excessive browsing due to concentration is where deer enter my field in the same spot. That corner of the field has much more browsing pressure put on it.

Updated pic……The field is growing like a weed. :D The durana is also still doing well. We’ve been pretty wet so far this summer so that helps a lot. That’s just a regular ol’ shovel to show how the clover is getting deeper….I’m very pleased with the biomass that’s being produced so far. Everything is filling in nicely.

2knUO33.jpg

IAniJ1Q.jpg

It's likely due to the watering hole concentrating the deer in the area. There's a lot of browsing around my mineral licks. I attribute that to lots of deer concentrating on that small area. Another spot where I see excessive browsing due to concentration is where deer enter my field in the same spot. That corner of the field has much more browsing pressure put on it.

No doubt, the waterholes are concentrating deer. Both of them are next to clover food plo--uhhh, I mean weedy clover patches (grin). What I'm wondering about though, plants that are growing in the dirt piles are getting worn out, while the same plants literally just a few feet away aren't getting touched.

0da1c2452c3f3913b06c1ae117cef530.jpg

8fe7fe422f3306e328383f7611e05ad4.jpg

ac359217b05528cd9831defcf80c6a73.jpg

14d0bf27e75e95a8f58856101f18564a.jpg
65bac074e24b826e52726cfafdb34603.jpg
353f37c3d24fd3eee2392e260f992912.jpg

Last edited:
The deer are hammering the mineral licks right now…..They use ‘em pretty much all spring and summer down here. Not so much during fall and winter……This is just off the edge of my field I’ve been showing. I’ve found I get better pics If I just set my camera up on mineral licks instead of on the field itself.

YfPA2ci.jpg

Nice pic... but what about our QDM fantasy football league?!? Not enough players yet! :)

Sent from my iPad using Deer Hunter Forum

Well, our mystery specie is still a mystery. Here's the flowers that's blooming out now. It's not poison sumac.

07TCH22.jpg

Last edited:
804cb873e9a7dc32fc41bbbf8602ed70.jpg
c41e87ca98f8c18b25a3d9f2c0f1677f.jpg

This mystery was solved one day this past week. I would never have figured it out without seeing it for myself.
The other evening, a doe came into the clover plot by the waterhole in the pics. She had twin fawns with her. The twins started this game where one of them would climb up on the dirt pile and start eating, then the other fawn would climb up on the dirt pile, chasing the first one off. The first one would then circle back around and chase the second one away. They did this routine a few times. Sometimes they would disappear into the cedars for several seconds, then they would come back and start all over.
The doe stayed in the clover/weeds and never got very close to the waterhole.
It almost seemed like the fawns were competing to see who got to stay on the dirt pile. It was really cool to see. If I had figured out what was happening quicker, I would have tried to get a video.

Exposed mineral rich subsoil.....vegetative forbs.....selective use of higher quality plant than average in the area. Soil disturbance begets high plant quality....hence, the focused animal attraction. This is why deer follow the cow herd by 2-4 weeks....many new lush growing points for easy pickings!

Back