Age this buck..northeastern SC

I don't think I could give an accurate age with those pics. Big bodied. Some great mass on those horns. I think he is a good 4 years old.

As a fellow SC hunter, I'm going to break a cardinal rule and say that in my opinion he's at least 4 based on the mass of the rack. They don't get mass like that down here until they mature.

On second thought, is he still in velvet? I'm having a hard time seeing it on my phone. If he's out of velvet, I think a possibility of 4.5. If in velvet, 3.5.

I can't tell, Cutman. But you're the fourth person who's seen this and said so. Looks pretty dry if it is. Shadowy woods and cheap-o camera makes it difficult to see distinctly.

Broadside view. Cutman, a buddy of mine said I'm an idiot, and he's definitely in velvet, and it won't last another week. LOL.

Attachments

• buck2.JPG
    buck2.JPG
    630 KB · Views: 0
Can be challenging aging deer from unfamiliar parts of the country especially in summer and the pics aren't the best. Body looks 3. However the head looks like it could be on older deer. Doesn't look full grown.

We hunted hard this weekend and will return to the woods in tha AM. I have enjoyed seeing does with bow in hand but so far, no sign of this buck. Lol. That is why it is called hunting and i absolutely love the process of that.

I think this is the same guy, now out of velvet. We set my cam over one scrape, but there's a scrape on this road every forty yards or less.

Attachments

• nice 8 on scrape.jpg
    nice 8 on scrape.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 0
Back