Another reason to not plant non-native species

There was to my knowledge one MFR plant here twenty-five years ago; today there are enough so that I kill what I find each spring for a day or so. However until the then over population of deer ate everything in sight the one MFR for many, many years was the only one here seen. I'm not so afraid of named invasive plants as long as the deer do not exceed the property's carrying capacity. For so called invasives like japanese honeysuckle vine that many here report that deer love I could easily give them a pass if they were here. If the deer are eating the honeysuckle vine especially in the winter then they are paying their space. For others that the deer do not consume thus giving them complete advantage over all other plants it's kill whenever time permits.

Bush honeysuckle for example are not eaten by the deer on this property; so they are on the kill as time permits list even though there is not a stupid amount of them here. I have seen them take over on others properties. Common buckthorn is a bad one here that I'm work at containing--not totally eradicating. It does provide some benefits to the deer here.

Pawlonia (tree of heaven?) is another disaster. Tough to kill too.
I really like sterile Miscanthus Giganteus for road screening under power lines. Miscanthus Sinensis is another matter. It has escaped my landscaping and i am finding more and more clumps of it in open woodland locations on the Home 10.
The "bradford pear" is also a problem. But it dies easily with herbicides.

The good part about the Bradford pears is they can be bark grafted to other pears atleast that's what I like to do.

Back