Antler coloring and repair -1st trys

farmhunter

So this winter I learned how to color antlers that are old or bleached out. I fixed up some old sheds and learned what did and didn't work. I wanted to do this because I wanted to repair some antlers and such. I didn't care if I did perfect - but I knew I'd have to play around before I could make an honest attempt, so here's a look at some of it.

one of my big oldies
IMG_9716_zpsn09bvtx6.jpg

Big%20Shed2%20w%20linseed%20oil%202-11-17_zps1v00ejvz.jpg

IMG_9737%202_zps4e3bifc5.jpg

a smaller one
IMG_9673_zpssbpq9sca.jpg

IMG_9683_zpsap7qanlm.jpg

on to a couple repairs.

this is clyde - he was a nice 9 point - my buddy took him opening day 2015 rifle, we knew him well. Was sad he'd busted off - so John said, when you get good enough - try to fix it -

IMG_4439_zpszujm8lif.png

IMG_4569_zpsdhx68ct1.jpg

and after some repairs - I didn't try to fix the older brow break, I liked that character.
IMG_9866_zpspizal8cn.jpg

IMG_0161_zpskwpgvylf.png

and this is Gary - John took him this year -

John%20with%20Gary2%2012-3-16%20914x1280_zpsquaowtfv.jpg

and after the repair

IMG_0160_zpssb2x1m3n.png

If I can do it - anyone can. I just got over my fear that I had to make it perfect. Happy to offer advice to anyone thinking about it.

Last edited:
sure the antler stain is potassium permanganate that I got on Amazon. It goes on purple and dries a perfect shade of deer antler.
a little sanding and linseed oil makes the antler color and depth pop.

bleached%205%20point%20back_zpslfeaumj2.jpg

coloring%205%20point_zpstnxqcmw7.jpg

colored%205%20point%20back_zpswf3jybmn.jpg

A matte sealer like Kryklon stops it from scratching off.

the antler fix - I used real tines from fresh sheds - and measured and cut them to fit close. I pinned and glued the tines and used two part epoxy to bridge the joint. Then sanding and color/ and painting (that was the hardest part). There are some tricks you learn when you try.

see before painting joints
IMG_9857_zpscatqbvm8.jpg

Congratulations on figuring this out. Gary and Clyde came out very, very nice. And Thank You for sharing this Farmhunter. Brightening up sheds is something I thought about but just didn't know where to begin.

Back