April Fools

Bowman

Here we go again. The avatar was last year. Two more weeks to go, if the weatherman is right. I was getting ready to get started with some frost seeding, but that is on hold and I have to cut some wood. Now I am looking at 5-8 inches on Tuesday. I am really thinking about winter carryover. I have not yet grown great brassicas yet, but that is a priority now. I have some alfalfa started and thought that a thick stand would help. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• April Fools 2018.jpg
    April Fools 2018.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 0
Here we go again. The avatar was last year. Two more weeks to go, if the weatherman is right. I was getting ready to get started with some frost seeding, but that is on hold and I have to cut some wood. Now I am looking at 5-8 inches on Tuesday. I am really thinking about winter carryover. I have not yet grown great brassicas yet, but that is a priority now. I have some alfalfa started and thought that a thick stand would help. Any suggestions?

Not sure your location Bowman but as much as I like my alfalfa it is not a great winter food source. Deer do stay in it and the clover but you would do better with brassica and winter grains as a backup which is what I depend on. The other thing I do is hingecutting jan and feb to give pockets of browse for the deer for easy feed. Good luck. Our spring weather should be here by June.
We got our typical Easter snow last week.
8cf95d67cf0a45ec61994bfef6a589f2.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dropping poplars feeds them quickly; Hinge cut them up high. They don't live but half of them stay connected and help to protect some of the ground shoots that are likely to occur over the summer. I hinge by cutting them half thru or a little more and let the wind take care of them the rest of the way down; otherwise they split and kick back in all sorts of unpredictable ways. Turnips work great here but once the snow gets hard packed or even if it hits three or four feet they sometimes give up on them. That's where the high hinge cut poplar takes over. I ration them cutting only small sections a year so we won't run out. It feeds them the winter you cut them with the top and the next two winters with ground shoots and some of the hinged poplars even become bedding spots.

Hope the coming thaw jolts your property into bare ground. After this very cold winter, that much snow this late is pretty tough to counteract.

5" in NEMO, on April 1. Wow, one positive, I think the winter rye may be short enough in 3 weeks to be real good turkey hunting!

Back