BONIDE FRUIT SPRAY - BURNED UP TREES?

buckhunter10

Hello All,

I sprayed my trees a few weeks ago with the BONIDE Orchard Spray - I am now noticing that some of the trees if not all are showing some signs of being burnt. Leaves are brown and crinkled up. The tree itself seems healthy but not the leaves.

I mixed it per the instructions on the label......(I think this happened to me a few years ago)

Any tips? Are trees ruined? Just need time?

Thank you!

You're trees will be fine. When I first started planting apples I purchased a big bottle of the Bonide fruit tree spray and have uses it ever since. I occasionally see a slight burn but usually when I spray in mid day with warmer sunnier weather. I believe this happened to CrazyEd from the previous forum also and all his trees recovered just fine.

You're trees will be fine. When I first started planting apples I purchased a big bottle of the Bonide fruit tree spray and have uses it ever since. I occasionally see a slight burn but usually when I spray in mid day with warmer sunnier weather. I believe this happened to CrazyEd from the previous forum also and all his trees recovered just fine.

thank you for the good information! I sprayed on a warm sunny day, that is for sure.

I am certain I did this a few years back and I was very worried, however the trees bounced back just fine. That was on the old forum, not that I think about it.

I suppose just give them time and let nature take its course now.....hmmm

I noticed a few of the trees are very burned. Do you think I just need to give them time and see what happens? Should I pic the leaves off?

What causes the burn, just chemical burns but not actually killing the trees like GLY would or seomthing?

I noticed a few of the trees are very burned. Do you think I just need to give them time and see what happens? Should I pic the leaves off?

What causes the burn, just chemical burns but not actually killing the trees like GLY would or seomthing?
I'm curious to know what burned the leaves from Bonide. Is Orchard Spray different from their Fruit Tree Spray?
I quit using the stuff. Completely ineffective for my insect populations.

I'm curious to know what burned the leaves from Bonide. Is Orchard Spray different from their Fruit Tree Spray?
I quit using the stuff. Completely ineffective for my insect populations.

Orchard spray is what I meant. Idk leaves are burned/ black and only the leaves that got hit. Rest of trees looks healthy as all get out. I'm tossing this bull stuff. I don't like it

I sprayed some of that stuff on apples once that hadn't been touched by any pests. The next day the whole crop was eaten up by Jap Beetles, and I didn't find any dead ones on the ground. Seems like it drew them in.............

I sprayed some of that stuff on apples once that hadn't been touched by any pests. The next day the whole crop was eaten up by Jap Beetles, and I didn't find any dead ones on the ground. Seems like it drew them in.............
:D. I noticed the same thing with curculio. Bonide was like a steroid for them. Literally i watched them chew on fruitlets coated hours earlier in Bonide.

You using a clean sprayer? I use imidan and captan, simple and effective
Those are my workhorses now. Cant get Imidan shipped anymore. Thats gonna cost some bucks to replace.
Cleaning sprayer is a good point. I spray no insecticides through the herbicide sprayer.

:D. I noticed the same thing with curculio. Bonide was like a steroid for them. Literally i watched them chew on fruitlets coated hours earlier in Bonide.

LOL, now we have a use for Bondie - plant a Decoy tree and saturate with Bondie - that will draw all the vermin to it while you enjoy the fruit on the unsprayed tree......

LOL, now we have a use for Bondie - plant a Decoy tree and saturate with Bondie - that will draw all the vermin to it while you enjoy the fruit on the unsprayed tree......
I used to argue that the Sevin in that spray caused excessive fruit thinning in my trees. The Bonide folks disagreed. I still think they were wrong.:)
They basically admitted that their spray, when used as directed, was so weak, that thinning could not occur. They were right about the weak part.
Bonide fruit tree spray is not stout enough to do the job. And just doesnt cover a wide range of apple tree problems. From my experience......... ;)

Clean sprayer is a good point

I have separate 4 gallon sprayers.... one for herbicide and one for oils,fertilizer,etc

bill

ok well guys I know I cleaned this sprayer. I also ran water though it before I filled it. However, I think I might have killed several of my trees. A real bummer.

I will not be spraying this fruit tree spray again, thats for sure.

IMG_2740.JPG

Weird. I have used the Bonide exclusively for 5 years now and never had a problem. I will tell you that I never use any herbicides in my sprayer I use for spraying trees. I have used it on Apple's, pears, peaches, persimmons, plums, and many plants in the flower garden.
Sorry, I know that is depressing.

Interestingly enough I wrote to Bonide and got a fast response.

These trees are in shock from the spray and it being a hot day. They asked that I water them heavily and possibly even put a lite fertilizer on them. I am not confident they will come back but we will see what happens.

Also noticed a little of this burning after the second application but glad to hear its normal. Our apple trees were starting to be munched on pretty heavily by some caterpillars of some sort. Darn near ate all the foliage in our 45 plantings this year. Sprayed a couple weekends ago, came back the next weekend and it was like magic. The leafs were all coming back! After two weeks a couple were starting to come back so I sprayed again last weekend. Got a bunch of 7 dust this weekend and plan on putting that on so hopefully it will last longer. Excited becase some of the trees that didn't even have signs of live were even starting to bud out after two applications. So fingers crossed but so far so good.

Almost looks like roundup was sprayed. I used the bonide spray 3 times this spring. I didn't have any thing like that happen. Keep trying I also had horrible luck started seeds. Getting them to come up then what did the birds ate. Just keep trying.

ok well guys I know I cleaned this sprayer. I also ran water though it before I filled it. However, I think I might have killed several of my trees. A real bummer.

I will not be spraying this fruit tree spray again, thats for sure.

View attachment 7611
I do not believe that is the work of Bonide. Surely something else is going on. Have you checked the main trunk down low for fireblight?

I do not believe that is the work of Bonide. Surely something else is going on. Have you checked the main trunk down low for fireblight?
What is hard to believe? Don't spray your trees on warm sunny days, during the warmest part of the day. End of story.

Edit: label says
"Do Not Spray when temperature is greater than 85"
"Choose a cool, calm period, preferably early morning or evening, when trees will not be subjected to hot direct rays of the sun"

not sure the temperature of the day when original poster sprayed, but warm temperature does seem to cause this from multiple reports.

Last edited:
Back