Bull Pen, Mandy Hollow and Cari's Corner

Just getting caught up. What type of bulbs do you use for your tomatoes to grow?

Not sure if I fully understand your question, buckhunter, but I start the tomatoes from seed, most of which I have saved from the previous year tomatoes.

1LUk6J9.jpg

I was a firefighter for 23 years. You sure have to take alot of precautions before you light one off. Always burn down hill and not up. Make sure you know where your fire will go once you light it and make sure your fire breaks are solid. I always burn against the wind but prefer no wind at all. I still need to take a prescribed burn class from MDC just to CYA in case one does get away. Due diligence.

RChPSCI.jpg

Somehow missed all these updates Lak. Cow pic cracked me up but I'm not sure you are as thrilled with your calving success as D would be. Kid pics awesome and Ninja course… I want to play. Pretty place you have with house and really like the transition of edge from field to wood in the bloom pics you showed. Congrats on a great family fun.

What is burning in that photo?
It is just trees on a peninsula.. They did prescribed burn on several acres east of me, and wind was out of the east at warp speed. This peninsula probably had dead trees fuel and air supply on both sides.

Somehow missed all these updates Lak. Cow pic cracked me up but I'm not sure you are as thrilled with your calving success as D would be. Kid pics awesome and Ninja course… I want to play. Pretty place you have with house and really like the transition of edge from field to wood in the bloom pics you showed. Congrats on a great family fun.

Thanks dogghr. I need to do a little habitat work but it is fun to do all the grand kid stuff too. Someone asked me recently how was retirement after four years. My reply was "Very busy, or maybe I am just getting slow!"

Update - March 2017
I enjoyed a couple of half days at the farm this week. The new life concept of springtime keeps us going.

Really excited about finding some new blooms on my largest pear tree. Seems the trees I started from seed have different bloom dates, which can be a good thing.

JdYrnJt.jpg

e4ma3BM.jpg

7pfrm65.jpg

Sawtooth trees are coming alive.

ta38Fvl.jpg

I decided to let the Mandy Hollow food plot merge into the nearby woods because (1) there is some good soil there and (2) it may give the deer a little sense of security to begin their browsing in the woods. I think Mandy Hollow is the best spot for the grand kids to score on a whitetail, so I want to do what I can to make that happen.

Here are some shots of the newly cleared area"

DFfmaDZ.jpg

UlqPKLy.jpg

How does one clear out the area? With the trust Box-Blade-Dozier. Just drop the box blade and drive backwards.

EnuHkKt.jpg

Here is how the new plot area looks from shooting house
ViBaZdY.jpg

Excellent tip! Do you lose much top soil?
i have done the same thing with the box scrape....i don't loose any top soil. my box scrape has a "blade" on the back which is not enough to engage the ground. As the debris piles up when you are pushing it, a "slide" effect is created. Translation....it really pushes the debris well, without taking any soil.

if i want to remove soil, i have to pull it forward first. then push it backwards. the inner blade is much more aggressive than the back blade.
20170315_120042.jpg

Excellent tip! Do you lose much top soil?

Exactly as David says above. The boxblade is one useful piece of equipment. (1) The blade can be tilted so "smooth" stage instead of "dig" and the slide effect is there. Great for sticker bushes, vines and loose debris. (2) Going downhill helps even more to keep from digging.
You can see in this picture that the soil has not been damaged much at all. Some but not much.

UlqPKLy.jpg

The pear trees continue to bloom away. Maybe, just maybe I can show Native Hunter a tree fulll of Ol' timey globe shaped pears this year.

X7esm6b.jpg

AVQiAwu.jpg

zuGV1Ic.jpg

And you all know what I have been looking for.....the first tomato bloom of the spring.

UQL5Yo3.jpg

But the most fun of all was when Little Bit hooked a fish almost her size. It took the help of Poppa and both brothers to land this one. She was excited!

mOjFlO1.jpg

Last edited:
Pear trees look great. Looks like I'm going to be hooking up the box blade. Do tomatoes always grow true to seed?

Back