Buried Fletchings

Had a decent opening weekend. My eagle bean experiment didn't work as all the deer were out in the yellow ag beans versus in front of me in the green eagles but at least I saw deer. Afternoon resulted in deer moving early as the first ones appeared in the small clover plot at 3:30, surprised I was even on stand yet. Next group of 4 came out about 5:30. I took the biggest doe and had her quartered and in a cooler before shooting light was over.
d1bb13d6e83c8945c4f5db555dd14098.jpg

37e14ae94421b61c99d5f05ab96a38c9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More reasons to hate bears! Because of several very late frost, this crab apple was the only tree I had with fruit this year.
14457283_1065996126831886_2858233696157803077_n.jpg

14522727_1065996130165219_2087732502392393168_n.jpg

Im with ya the bears around me do nothing but damage and are protected. Do yall have a hunting season for them?

Im with ya the bears around me do nothing but damage and are protected. Do yall have a hunting season for them?

Yes, all of archery and ML season and about a week in gun. We aren't allowed to bait bears and they roam so much, I've only seen them during the season twice.

If you hang around gator you need to get some trees on standard rootstock, may take longer to fruit but maybe they will be big enough to handle some bear pressure

If you hang around gator you need to get some trees on standard rootstock, may take longer to fruit but maybe they will be big enough to handle some bear pressure

Worst part is I have all the stuff to electric fence the orchard. I just didn't do it this year as there wasn't much fruit to protect. Guess having a single tree with fruit is a death warrant for that one tree tho.

Worst part is I have all the stuff to electric fence the orchard. I just didn't do it this year as there wasn't much fruit to protect. Guess having a single tree with fruit is a death warrant for that one tree tho.

Gator you must make friend with bear then he/she will not feel need to mark territory and show dominance. Seriously, only thing keep a bear from bee hives or trees is electric or lead.
Now you think I'm joking here, but bear do learn to accept you. My bear no longer give me any grief. Cameras and trees and stands have not been molested for years. They know my scent, and like a deer recognize me when I am near them . They wont even sniff a camera. Now a roamer, or new cubs are curious and can be and issue. Look where that tree sits, near you stand, and both porbably covered with your scent. Its more of a dominance action than after the few fruit they might obtain. I see my bear almost every week sometimes in very close quarters, and they are no diff than my resident deer anymore. Now I'm sure when I go to the farm tonight, my place will be destroyed by bear after saying all this. I feel your pain. Good lluck with them, they can certainly make life interesting, especially on a moonless night.

Last edited:
Since baiting is not legal and camping is I would set up a small tent that had been water proofed with bacon grease. Maybe a pot of baked beans left on a camp stove and a cooler full of your food for camping. Set up a tree stand within bow range of your camp:D

lol I like the way you think.

Since baiting is not legal and camping is I would set up a small tent that had been water proofed with bacon grease. Maybe a pot of baked beans left on a camp stove and a cooler full of your food for camping. Set up a tree stand within bow range of your camp:D

Back