Cleth works good on Scribner's Panic Grass

Native Hunter

I had some SPG come up in a clover plot and was coming on pretty strong. This is about 10 days after treating with cleth. Seems to be really taking care of it quickly. I sprayed another small plot that had fescue the same day, and it looks about the same.

Last edited:
Don't you just love how good your clover looks after that application! On a small shooting plot I often add 6 oz. of thunder for broadleaf control. I feel it's too expensive to treat large fields unless there's a specific weed or area I want to target. And I often add a few ozs. of Roundup, it makes the mix more potent and doesn't affect the clover much.

I never had any luck with cleth against that stuff in my clover plot....Must have been doing something wrong.

I never had any luck with cleth against that stuff in my clover plot....Must have been doing something wrong.
How many oz/acre are you using? Do you have a boom sprayer? I usually use ammonium sulfate and crop oil with clethodim on clover. It makes the mix more potent.

Last edited:
How many oz/acre are you using? Do you have a boom sprayer? I usually use ammonium sulfate and crop oil with clethodium on clover. It makes the mix more potent.

I used a hand sprayer with a 25 gallon tank and calibrated it by spraying just water and measuring the square footage. I have it written down in the basement but just going by memory I was doing like 50 gallons to the acre. So, I used the ounces shown on the label for a strong dose and added crop oil as recommended.

I looked at it again today and the Scribner's is now totally cooked. It has turned a deep purple and dead as a hammer.

How many oz/acre are you using? Do you have a boom sprayer? I usually use ammonium sulfate and crop oil with clethodium on clover. It makes the mix more potent.

Boom sprayer. Mixed according to label with some type of oil added (maybe wrong stuff here too) but I didn't add the ammonium sulfate either. That clover field is someone else's problem now but I'll keep this in mind once I get my next one going...

Boom sprayer. Mixed according to label with some type of oil added (maybe wrong stuff here too) but I didn't add the ammonium sulfate either. That clover field is someone else's problem now but I'll keep this in mind once I get my next one going...
AMS is a cheap way to make clethodim more effective, clethodim actually suggests adding AMS on the label to make it more effective on certain weeds, also notes that it might be too strong for clover, but generally food plot guys don't mind if the clover leaves get burned a bit like hay people would. Just remember that it's critical that you put the ammonium sulfate in the water first.

Last edited:
Back