dbltree's hing cutting thread

Here is a point of view from a forester on the subject of hinging, obviously different but with some valid points that landowners show consider. Hinging offers instant cover regardless if the trees live or not but the "mess" it creates is a forester/loggers worst nightmare. It is important to not destroy valuable tree species and also important to recognize that properly done TSI (girdling cull trees) will also make a profound difference in the understory with a marked increase in cover and browse.

I share this article simply to offer another view (not my own) to help landowners understand the options, especially those who prefer not to have their timber look like a tornado went thru it as most of mine does....
icon_e_wink.gif

HINGING –

Hinging is the term used for the practice of partially cutting through a standing tree until the tree crown falls while leaving as much connective tissue intact as possible between stem’s portions above and below the cut. The objective of the practice is to develop quick cover while retaining a partially live crown resulting in a ‘green brush pile’. This is a useful tool for field edges, and when used in moderation and with knowledge aforethought, within the interior of woodlands. I have seen this practice misused so many times, though, that it makes me cringe. Believe me, any fool can buy a chainsaw and make a mess and this seems to happen most often when a landowner reads some magazine or other reference which refers to hinging as THE way to make cover. The real problem is that there is usually no foresight and little knowledge used when applying the practice.

Oftentimes, only a portion of the crown of a hinged tree remains alive because too small a percentage of tissue at the hinge remained intact and undamaged. Then only sprouts from the cut surface, bole and base of the tree remain. The sprouting capability of a tree stem decreases as it grows larger in diameter. The sprouting capability of a 3-inch diameter stem, for example, is roughly 3 times what it is for a 10-inch diameter stem of the same species. Also, sprouting vigor varies from one tree species to another. The sprouting properties of trees are used as a tool in some forestry applications. However, when sprouts are touted as browse material for deer, one important consideration is usually forgotten – with hinge cuts, the sprouts will soon grow above browse height unless the deer concentration is exceedingly high and the number of hinge cuts is low. Once above browse height, the sprouts present a problem. Sure, they’re still making a mess but they soon grow into larger stems which serve little purpose for any wildlife species and adversely affect any desirable tree regeneration which may develop. Sprouts growing from the edge of a cut surface are weakly attached and as they grow in diameter they are increasingly prone to breaking off. Any portion of a crown which does remain alive usually declines over time. The lifespan of these damaged trees is shortened by disease and breakage and seed production is undependable. A site which has been laid waste to hinged trees resembles an early succession stand of young trees and shrubs (thick cover) but it is much less likely to succeed into a desirable stand with desirable tree species. It is also difficult to go back into the hinged site and correct the situation.

Timber stand improvement is the term used for a collection of woodland management practices used to alter a woodland for a multiple of landowner objectives. Thinning, crop tree release, weed tree removal, site preparation for natural regeneration and crop tree pruning are the t.s.i. practices most commonly used in southern Iowa. Application of some or all of these practices is the alternative to making just hinge cuts when quick cover is an objective. T.s.i. will result in a greater variety of groundcover, a thicker understory (cover) resulting from increased exposure to sunlight, increased regeneration of desired tree species, increased mast production for wildlife, reduced regeneration of undesirable species, and increased income potential. An example of a t.s.i. practice: Selectively release desirable species, e.g. white oak, black oak, by deadening competing trees of less desirable species. Some of the smaller competing trees and weed trees could be hinged during the dormant season while others could be felled during the growing season to provide some thick cover for bedding and turkey nesting the following season. The rest of the trees to be deadened, especially ones larger than 10 inches d.b.h., could be double-girdled or frilled and left standing to serve as snags for woodpeckers as well as other insect-foraging birds and for secondary nesters which use excavated woodpecker holes such as nuthatches, chickadees and flying squirrels. These activities still result in thick cover but the t.s.i.-treated stands, as opposed to hinged stands, will continue to develop into desirable stands. Timber stand improvement practices, when coupled with a multiple of objectives including wildlife, benefit a lot more species of wildlife than just deer and turkey.

Getting back to the subject of hinging, if you are going to make a hinge cut under any circumstance, be sure you know your tree species so that you retain those species which are of the greatest wildlife and commercial value. With that in mind, also be aware that a woodland with a good diversity of tree and shrub species is much more beneficial to a wide variety of both game and nongame species than one which is predominantly 2 or 3 tree species with a thin shrub understory. Don’t target a tree species for reduction or elimination unless it is a problem species such as ironwood or black locust. I commonly see shagbark hickory deadened through a woodland because the landowner ‘learned’ that hickories are worthless and that getting rid of hickory is the way to help out the oak resource. This rationale uses too broad a brush. Hickories serve a lot of wildlife species, too, though not so many as the oaks. Instead of targeting hickory in general, release oak crowns as they need it and make openings where less desirable species such as ash and elm dominate locations next to oak seed trees.

When making a hinge cut, the percent of stem circumference which remains intact will determine how much, if any, of the felled crown will remain alive. The greater the lean of the stem from a vertical plane, the greater the success because a greater percentage of the total circumference will remain intact and unruptured. The smaller the stem, the greater the success. Timing is important, too. The tree must be dormant. Mid to late winter is better than mid to late fall. Avoid making the cuts when the temperature is really cold because the tissue is more likely to fracture rather than bending at the ‘hinge’.

If you plan to hinge some trees along a woodland edge to favor upland game, consider a two-step approach. During the spring or summer before the winter in which you’ll do the hinging, identify the trees you plan to hinge. Identify where a tree’s crown will fall and then, using any glyphosate-based postemergent herbicide (e.g. Roundup, Cornerstone and others), spray an area at least 50% larger than the crown size. The resulting weed growth which will develop after the grass dies will be much more useful to quail and pheasant chicks than the dense grass cover would have been. Broadcasting some ladino or red clover seed into the sprayed areas would also benefit chicks because they require high-protein insects for early development and insects are attracted to legumes.

Duane Bedford
Retired District Forester
Chariton, Iowa

There are many reasons to hinge trees or open up canopy to increase the density of lower understory, but providing safe bedding is perhaps one of the more important reasons. Where then do deer like to bed? What common denominators are there that cause them to choose and particular spot to lie down?

Working on TSI projects across southern Iowa gives me a broader view of such things then we might normally get from just our own land and the following are beds I stumble upon while marking crop trees.

So what do all of those beds have in common?

Elevation and in almost every case they preferred to have their backs against either a tree or a small downed branch or log. A couple were under a cedar tree but I suspect they were more interested in the tree trunk itself rather then the overhanging branch.

Those are just natural beds and these deer did have plenty of other options. Observe the natural bedding habits on your property this winter to keep some perspective on your hinging projects and note their choices after you hinge as well. After years of observation and hinging trees I have found only one bed under the trunk of a hinged tree while all others (depending on the slope) were backed up to the downed tree or laying above it (overlooking the downed tree)

When confronted with danger deer must be able to leap to their feet and make a hasty and unimpeded escape, laying under something might be akin to us trying to escape from under the kitchen table....just food for thought but as always, make your own observations on your property and then make the habitat changes you feel will be most effective....
icon_e_wink.gif

On good soils with plenty of moisture regeneration can be rapid once canopy is opened up via hinging or TSI! These little red cedars are only a year old and popped up everywhere after I hinged the area quite radically.

in 8-10 years I'll have to thin these or they will end up being way to thick

Lacking seeding trees you can easily interplant conifers into your hinged areas to vastly improve your bedding areas

Oak regeneration is also rapid where seed trees are present

In many areas I go in and hand plant oaks among downed tops

These however are all naturally regenerated seedlings that will also have to be thinned every 10 years or so

The oaks will be heavily browsed when small so they are multipurpose when small and thinning should not be done to early. Open grown oaks will have poor timber value so once again follow a foresters advice and thin at the proper stages.

You can combine a couple EQIP/WHIP practices to thin weed trees (via hinging) and then plant/tube/herbicide seedlings in the thinned areas.

FOREST STAND IMPROVEMENT-Practice Code 666-Manual control of undesirable woody species (weed tree removal or weeding) on forest land. $113.00 per acre
TREE / SHRUB ESTABLISHMENT-Practice Code 612- Field planted to trees and shrubs for wildlife habitat
and/or timber production. $270 an acre (canopy cannot be greater then 25%)

Here's a series of pics from a stand of mostly shingle oak a year after hinging...

Tremendous amount of screening cover and browse

The stumps send up new growth that is really more valuable then the hinged tree

and the opened/reduced canopy allows the whole area to explode with new cover and browse, while the adjacent oaks acts as seed trees to encourage oak regeneration.

The whole place is full of tracks and beds where there was little activity previous to hinging

You can see the young red cedars coming up as a result of the open canopy

We have 2 feet of snow and a week ahead with temps dropping near minus 10 every morning so browse is essential this time of year!

Each tree species reacts differently to hinging and not all will produce the kind of growth you see on those shingle oaks. Maple trees don't hold their leaves but do send up plenty of high protein browse so each has advantages. Those species that do not hold their leaves only make adding conifers even more important, so give some thought to inter-planting some cedars or spruce trees if your timber is lacking this element....
icon_e_wink.gif

The little red saw has been getting a work out!

The knee deep snow has been tiring to work in and I'm grateful for the warm weather!

How many trees can one hinge in a year...in a lifetime? I'm not sure but thousands in a year I am certain, all of them cut on an angle like this

Cutting on an angle has proven to be the safest and most effective means of hinging for me. The tree can only go one way and if it tries to tip the wrong way it simply comes to rest against the bevel and I let the wind take it on over.

This is a solid 12"+ tree easily and safely hinged

I have completed over 130 acres of TSI/hinging this winter alone not including my own and I have nearly 50 acres yet to do so it stands to reason I would not be foolish enough to work all day alone hinging trees by any method other then the safest one.

Working on different farms with different species on everything from low lands to steep ridges gives me a unique perspective that few will ever experience

Any time we so much as fire up the chainsaw there is inherent danger, so there is no such thing as "safe", only methods developed over decades of hinging trees that give me confidence that I am using the method safest for me.

Severe cold weather is the #1 reason trees break off so whenever possible work on hinging on warm days during the winter months

Working during the summer and fall months increases the likelihood of infections such as oak wilt so winter and very early spring is best and all it takes is a sliver to keep the tree alive...note the white oak that I released and protected with the hinged tree.

When you can work with a friend, then using a push pole can be helpful but there are also dangers involved with two people. The person cutting can simply step aside and is intimately familiar with the "feel" or "reaction" of the tree to the saw. In a split second I can move safely aside but a second person attempting to push the tree and concentrating on that can be at risk, so just be cautious in these situations not to "bite off more then you can chew".

Hinging professionally gives me the opportunity to share many facets of hinging and timber management and there is no better time to share pictures and information then winter, so I'll try to post more pics each day. TSI, blocking, funneling, stand setups, browse, hinging red cedars and more will be shared so...stay tuned...
icon_e_wink.gif

Trail Blocking

Used as part of creating or enhancing a funnel, trees can be hinged to literally block off runways you don't want them to use. These are a few examples.

Before

After

Before

After...large shingle oaks and small red cedars hinged

Before

After...note hinged trees beyond the edge

No better time to check for "extra" runways then winter when snow cover makes things very obvious and easy to block off!

Hinging cedars

Haven't tried it before so I decided to give it a shot

Not sure what the long term result will be but I'll keep you posted!

Red cedars often get too thick and need to be thinned so I'm curious how these trees will react to being hinged?

Timber Edge Feathering

Edge Feathering in an excellent way to block runways, increase screening and browse as well

Tipping over cull trees along the timber edge blocks off runways immediately

Not real important if they are hinged or not

The tree will block runways for years and new growth will explode all along the edge

This is 4 year old growth

Heavy blackberry growth makes a gnarly and impassible mess that helps funnel deer to the runway left open.

Federal cost share is available to boot! Block the excess runways, feed deer and screen their bedding areas and get paid to do it...sweet!

EARLY SUCCESSIONAL HABITAT DEVELOPMENT MANAGEMENT
Practice Code 647
Timber Edge Feathering:
Management for early plant succession to benefit
desired wildlife communities and increase structural
diversity/habitat using timber edge feathering as the
primary management tool.

$145.50 acre EQIP/WHIP

Funnels

This sketch shows how I laid out a funnel and perhaps the following pictures will make sense after looking at it. The brown line is the path I use, not the lines where deer use to travel and the only one left that they are forced to use now.

The first pics are of the north fence line and show fence crossings and runways I blocked off

I had this blocked off last year but a few deer started slipping through the cracks so to speak

I severely hinged shingle oaks to create a living fence and close off any remaining spots they might slip through

This leads along the fence line to the main runway that leads under my stand and creates the -L- shaped funnel

My stand on the funnel, note the trees left standing behind it so I am not silhouetted

Base of the stand tree with runway to the far left

"Mess" behind the stand tree to keep deer from traveling behind me

Main fence crossing

Main runway leading past tree stand

Elevated cam to monitor runway.

Few late winter bucks using the funnel

and boat loads of deer

Eventually deer adapt to using the funnels and the need for complicated hunting strategies vanishes, hunt the wind and kill em when the walk by. Simple and effective!
thumbup.gif

Overhead cover

As I have shared with pictures of natural bedding choices, whitetails may or may not choose overhead cover for various reasons. When the can, they often choose to lay under the overhanging branches of red cedars or shrubs in my area but at the same time some prefer open ridge tops where they can see danger approaching, using little more then a downed log or branch as cover.

When hinging I find it's hard not to create some overhead cover if there is enough trees to hinge, but that varies widely with the type of trees, soils and maturity of the timber. The following are from two different farms that I have done TSI or Weed Tree Removal (via hinging).

I typically hinge trees at waist to shoulder height depending on the situation, because often the ground is very steep and getting around on slippery snow/mud covered slopes can be treacherous.

Where there are lot's of trees the hinged trees will land on uncut trees forming an overhead canopy

Often deer use hinged trees as a screen rather then overhead cover and I found this shed

In a bed on this side of this old log where he was able to lay in the sun and see down the slope

These pictures are from a friend who killed a 191" buck this winter that had spend the past several years living in these hinge cuts

There is little if any overhead cover but the downed trees and subsequent re-growth provide cover in an otherwise wide open, very mature oak wood lot

Every timber is different and each landowner may have different species and terrain to work with but even if the place is clear cut, the resulting regrowth will attract and hold whitetails.

Adding conifers to hinged areas can increase screening and thermal cover and make a huge difference in holding deer. When possible hinge trees high enough that they provide overhead cover as well as screening but use caution and put safety first!

Recent pictures from the weed tree removal job I'm, working on now...plan calls for all weed trees (virtually everything but oaks and walnuts or trees over 14" DBH) to be felled...perfect situation for hinging! Some trees will be treated but others will be left to re-sprout but in either case it's also a great time to do some fantastic trail blocking!

Clumps of American Basswood...

Shagbark and shellbark hickories

Some areas are almost solely shingle oak that looked like this

But I can completely block off multiple runways by hinging all these shingles

You can also see how this screens the deer bedding on the back side from the landowner entering via a trail thru the timber

The terrain varies of course and the large white and red oaks tend to be up higher on the ridges, so killing the understory will encourage oak regeneration. Deer love to feed on and bed in young oaks so this is a win win for both whitetails and the timber itself.

Skip wondered why I cut a black walnut in a previous picture and here's an example of why...can you pick out the black walnuts and the burr oak??

We have two black walnuts and a nice burr oak in a spot you could cover with a coat! Always we are releasing crop trees and in most cases we choose oaks over BW or better BW's over ones with poor form. In this case the burr gets the nod because both BW's have not the greatest form and in this area, there are BW's a plenty but very few burrs....all things to consider

Black walnut

Burr Oak...note that you have to be able to identify species even at young ages and without leaves!

Can you see the shed?

I leave whatever I find for the landowner but it's always fun to spot them!

Every day, every property it's something new, the same only different and I thoroughly enjoy enhancing the landowners timber and habitat at the same time...
thumbup.gif

I'm often asked how long before deer start using newly hinged areas...usually over night! When I work in a large area day after day however they often choose to move over the ridge where there is less commotion until I leave the area for a day or so. I was at the Iowa Deer Classic for 3 days and when I returned to the TSI job I have been working on for several weeks, the place literally exploded with deer as I rode the ATV in to work.

I could see them get up from the ridge tops and the snow was littered with tracks and I noticed a number of beds where I left off.

The screening alone makes them feel safe bedding and many still choose downed logs or branches

Plenty of shagbarks to drop in this project!

This is a funnel I have been working on for the landowner and it's working like a charm!

The ATV trail will become a funnel in itself as I block off runways that crossed it

Tracks littered the area where I had previously worked

Didn't seem to bother them to use this "tunnel" that I have to finish blocking off

When we combine the plethora of new bedding and browse with year around food sources on this farm the funnels will be a busy places this fall!
thumbup.gif

Few more pics of the "mayhem" from a TSI (weed tree removal) project where I have been hinging everything but oaks, walnuts and trees above 14" with good form.

Looks like a mess to the forester...

but heaven to whitetails

Steep country

Some of the ridges are more open but these are not and will be a jungle of cover for a long time to come

Couple natural beds I ran across while working

They often choose pretty subtle backdrops

180 acres of TSI work so far this winter...thankful for a "rain day" to rest up a bit....
icon_e_wink.gif

Ran across this naturally "hinged" elm last week

and this is what it looks like after growing sideways for who knows how long...safe to say a long while!

Every tree species is different and ash seems the most likely to send up pretty strong, stout sprouts either from the horizontal tree or stump and maple is pretty "lively" as well.

Most hinged trees however will not have anywhere near the canopy that they had when vertical yet still have enough to provide cover and browse. This allows them to remain alive yet not compete with neighboring crop trees and new oak regeneration.

I'll share pics of other species as i run across them to give you an idea what to expect after 2-4 years.

This is natural oak regeneration at a farm I have been working on...

but you can see how heavily the young oaks are browsed

Two points here...oak regeneration is valuable for more then just regenerating oaks! Deer love to feed on the young oaks and as they grow they will use them for bedding cover.

The trick is to keep them from getting completely destroyed and hinging some weed trees into the young oaks helps protect them

Not always a lot to hinge in an oak stand

but every weed tree you can drop helps provide some screening and reduces canopy to encourage young oak regeneration.

Edge Feathering

Typically timber edge feathering involves tipping over cull trees along the edge, into a field or meadow

and more of the same for 50-80' within the interior edge of the timber to block runways, create browse and screening

In many cases of course, the field edge is not ours, so dropping them in that direction is not an option. In this case we just reverse and tip them inward creating a funnel effect along the fence line

We still create a screening/blocking effect in that 50-80' path

In all cases we are still doing a form of Crop Tree Release as we leave the best oaks and walnuts standing while making a "mess" of the rest and...with cost share (EQIP/WHIP 647) getting paid to create great whitetail and quail habitat to boot...
thumbup.gif

Edge feathering and trail blocking

Some recent pics of how easy it is to block off multiple runways AND...screen deer from field activity.

This runway paralleled another so I blocked it off and funneled them to another (also funneled) runway

View of stand down the (now) main funneled runway..notice how heavily it's used

Barbed wire fence...lifted up to encourage them to use the main runway

Regrowth/sprouts from hinged and cut trees

Ash

Shingle oak

Locust - right, shingle oak left and behind

Hickory

Browse

Notice that in most cases the re-growth is "shrubby" and not in the form of canopy that typically interferes with oak regeneration. There may be little if any new sprouts along the horizontal tree although it varies by species and they tend to be short and stubby. Just right for browsing but in no way comparable to the canopy of a standing tree.

The trees pictured are 2-3 years after being hinged or cut....
icon_e_wink.gif

Back