Double throat patch

Deer Stuffer

I need help trying to identify a deer. Long story I shot a mature buck two years ago with bow and never found him. I diligently looked for that deer. I logged 34 hours looking just myself not counting friends and family even looked from horse back. That doesn't include shed hunting the property the following two springs. The deer never returned to the trail cameras that year or the next.
This year I got pics of a big bodied buck. I thought it might be the deer I shot two years ago that had a faint double throat patch. The second deer doesn't have a white patch. Can deer lose the patch with age?

I need help trying to identify a deer. Long story I shot a mature buck two years ago with bow and never found him. I diligently looked for that deer. I logged 34 hours looking just myself not counting friends and family even looked from horse back. That doesn't include shed hunting the property the following two springs. The deer never returned to the trail cameras that year or the next.
This year I got pics of a big bodied buck. I thought it might be the deer I shot two years ago that had a faint double throat patch. The second deer doesn't have a white patch. Can deer lose the patch with age?
No...never seen that happen. Watched a lot of deer get old and while the coat may get grayer the throat patches remain.

I don’t know the answer, but your question made me look around at the five shoulder mounts in my living room. Only one of them has a double throat patch. I would guess that they’re not too common.

Back