Dough stage crimping

Drycreek

So…..a question about crimping in the dough stage. I have a couple of plots that I intend to broadcast into and crimp. One has a Green Cover blend with added rye, the other is solid rye. If I have interpreted correctly the dough stage is when the grain is fully formed, but not wet or milky, yet not hard. Is this correct ?

You can crimp it anytime after the flag leaf emerges. That can be kind of tricky to ID, but it’s possible. To get the most out of your rye, let it go to when you see the pollen dangling from the seed heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can crimp it anytime after the flag leaf emerges. That can be kind of tricky to ID, but it’s possible. To get the most out of your rye, let it go to when you see the pollen dangling from the seed heads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have never paid this much attention to the stages Mark, as I have always just terminated with gly before I got ready to plant. What does the flag leaf look like ? I’m ignorant !

You can see what dough stage is in in this video. I think of it as when the seed head is "juicy" when you squeeze it.

I googled it and I thought I learned exactly how to tell, but the video confirmed it. Thanks Grizzzz !

Back