Dove hunting

g squared 23

I've read enough about deer plots that I can grow something and have mild to moderate success. But I'm looking for something to hunt in September, and I have no idea how to plant a good dove plot.

Keep in mind the area I want to plant is one acre that has been primarily in weeds for years. I have "access" to a tractor, but not really. My father in law owns it, and it is his baby, and I can't drive it. He does have a 3pt mower, tiller, and single plow. Also has a pull-behind ATV spreader. So I basically would be 100% on his schedule, which isn't always convenient for both of us.

For these reasons I am interested in the "throw and mow" technique, as I can do the bulk of the work myself. Any suggestions would be welcome.

A little too late to get anything started for this year but can definitely be a good plan starting next spring. Just want to time your planting where the plants mature a few weeks before dove season. You want the birds to find it before shooting time starts. Mow about a third of it 2 weeks before season to get the seeds on the ground. Mow as low as possible. Then come in a few days before season and mow the rest. Some people will even spray the field to kill everything a week before planting.

Lots of options for seeds but hard to beat a milo/millet/sunflower plot.

Not sure where your located but it's late to try to have something ready for Sept. doves. For us the simplest cultivar for doves is brown top millet. Also matures quickly. With it's small seed should work with throw and mow. Deer don't eat it. Sunflowers are great but if you have deer it is just a matter of time till they will wipe them out.

I am no expert but you may have wanted to start that in the spring. If you were to plant sunflowers, milo, etc. Then you would have seeds to spread by mowing these down a week or so before the opener.

Actually, you can plant browntop millet. It sets seed in 60 days. According to when your season starts. What type weeds do you have in that field? Look around, if there are some weeds with seed heads those will attract dove's as well. Remember doves were eating way before we started planting things for them.

It may sound redundant but I would make my first priority be pulling a soil sample and amending the nutrients. Folks often have good intentions to do it but it often takes a back seat to "planting something".

Ok so what about planting dates?

I know I'm too late this year, will not try and rush something in as our season starts September 1st, and there's little chance I can get anything that will be ready before the surrounding corn comes out, which really scatters the birds.

I am no expert but you may have wanted to start that in the spring. If you were to plant sunflowers, milo, etc. Then you would have seeds to spread by mowing these down a week or so before the opener.
Wondering if that would be a violation of baiting laws since doves are considered a migratory bird? If you did that and hunted waterfowl over that field you could be ticketed for baiting.

Disc around it this year and burn it. Doves love weed seed and the smoke will actually attract them. It won't be as good as a sunflower plot, but you should have some fun. Next year, get your sunflower, milo, millet down by early June at latest mid May is better.

This!
Disc around it this year and burn it. Doves love weed seed and the smoke will actually attract them. It won't be as good as a sunflower plot, but you should have some fun. Next year, get your sunflower, milo, millet down by early June at latest mid May is better.

Update: well about 4 weeks ago as a last ditch effort, I along with my father in law and his equipment, attempted a last minute, hail mary try at a dove plot. Didn't do a soil test (on the agenda next year), but he mowed, plowed, then I fertilized with 100 lbs of 13-13-13, then he tilled.

Then I bought just regular old birdseed which contained mostly "white millet". Since this was a half-arsed, last minute, poorly planned effort, I wasn't going to spend a lot of money on seed. And I had read that others had tried it and it worked. So I spread ~30lbs of birdseed on this 3/4 acre plot, and my FIL and his friends proceeded to laugh at me wondering aloud why i had wasted my and his time.

Fast forward to today. We have had A LOT of rain, and it's been hot as the place those QDMA bigwigs can go. Looking at the plot, "something" has grown, and definitely outpaced the regular weeds/grass that he had mowed, but not planted anything. I've never grown nor seen baby millet, so I had no idea. I did see a few sunflowers and knew what those looked like because my uncle grows them every year.

Wasn't sure what I had growing until I saw this exceptional plant. If they keep growing like this, I might have a decent dove field. Who needs DOB (Dove on Bag) seed!

Millet and wild hemp (marijuana) are a huge draw around here. Though if you plant hemp you might get a visit from the local sheriff's office.

Back