Drought and Survival

Half inch at the farm, just heard from neighbor.
Nice...we are starting to get really dry again after our reprieve earlier in August. It’s so bad it’s hard to do the work I need to do because my air filter clogs so fast on the dozer...dust is horrible. No rain for us so far, hot, sunny, dry, and windy...

It LOOKS like our farm has been getting hit hard this morning! The system went right over the top and it’s moving SLOW. Hallelujah!
It’s not a big system though and I still feel for people 25 miles away who are hurting badly.
E4BD7F99-8618-4A3A-A48C-E1AC95F463A7.jpeg

We didn’t get freaking jack….Just drove 24 miles for nothing. I’d empty my checking account to see some puddles.
Hopefully something else builds. :(

Last edited:
A buddy just sent me a video from Bartlesville, OK. Keep in mind, that’s 32 miles south of our farm. That’s the place that has had over 6” of rain in the last month. It’s freaking POURING there again. The system that was heading our way took an abrupt turn to the SE. I cannot express how old this is getting. Widespread drought isn’t as hard to swallow as this.

On a positive note, I found out my little Hyundai Elantra can do 78 in the quarter. My car is feeling my anger. Lol

2.5 hours ago this entire freaking system was on track to give most of SEK Kansas a good soaking, we had a 100% chance for rain. It got right to us and went south 40 miles, then proceeded to turn straight east AGAIN and continue. I’m spitting bullets right now. Enjoy it once again NE OK!!!!!
6869417F-6F28-46F7-B4A2-A0F097B50295.jpeg

2.5 hours ago this entire freaking system was on track to give most of SEK Kansas a good soaking, we had a 100% chance for rain. It got right to us and went south 40 miles, then proceeded to turn straight east AGAIN and continue. I’m spitting bullets right now. Enjoy it once again NE OK!!!!!
View attachment 24448
If it’s any consolation it missed both my farms...I drove down to the other farm in mid Cherokee county to do more clearing with my dozer and on the way I picked up 6 paper 50 lb bags of corn at the COOP. About 3:45 pm I noticed it getting really dark north of my position which would be our 90 acre home place and I remembered I had left my power tools out this morning after working on the chicken coop so I made a dash for the house. When I got on Moody road it started pouring on me and I had all those paper bags of corn in the bed of my truck. I figured my tools were getting soaked at home so I hurried and when I got 1/2 mile from the house it abruptly stopped and I was in the dry again. Hit the dirt road and dust was just boiling and got here and as I suspected, not a drop. Our next shot is A 30% chance September 8th :(

If it’s any consolation it missed both my farms...I drove down to the other farm in mid Cherokee county to do more clearing with my dozer and on the way I picked up 6 paper 50 lb bags of corn at the COOP. About 3:45 pm I noticed it getting really dark north of my position which would be our 90 acre home place and I remembered I had left my power tools out this morning after working on the chicken coop so I made a dash for the house. When I got on Moody road it started pouring on me and I had all those paper bags of corn in the bed of my truck. I figured my tools were getting soaked at home so I hurried and when I got 1/2 mile from the house it abruptly stopped and I was in the dry again. Hit the dirt road and dust was just boiling and got here and as I suspected, not a drop. Our next shot is A 30% chance September 8th :(
I hear ya Okie…

Brassicas are pretty resilient in my experience, but if they pop up after the 1/2” this weekend, they’ll be put to the test.

My farm received 1/8" from that storm you were showing. We are 20-30 min drive east of Dr Woods - he received almost 3" from that same system. We feel your pain - my uncle is back on the sidexside today watering our Ozark Chinquapins.

My farm received 1/8" from that storm you were showing. We are 20-30 min drive east of Dr Woods - he received almost 3" from that same system. We feel your pain - my uncle is back on the sidexside today watering our Ozark Chinquapins.
Yep, I've seen the SW corner of MO miss rain after rain. The drought monitor map I use just shows KS, and it covers the bottom 5 SE counties all in extreme drought red, I'm sure it extends over to you.:( Meanwhile, my brother-in-law up in Bolivar has gotten rain, after rain, after rain, and the same for Northern AR.

Back