Drought and Survival

Well, I'm beginning to get that all too familiar ominous feeling about rainfall this year. We had our 2 year streak of no 2" rain broken a couple weeks ago and it has been been bad ever since. Windy most days, rain missing us again and again; I'm wondering if we will ever not have to worry about lack of rain again. This is not merely a weather cycle, cycles do not last 3 years. I'm at a loss as to why annual rainfall can be cut in half in less than a decade timeframe. My mind goes to wind farms, "global warming" -- polar jet moving north, El Niño, and La Niña seem to be afterthoughts for us at this point; what is going on? I cannot even imagine getting 42" of rain in a year at this point -- that's what we had averaged here since the records began to be kept.

Sprayed our main plot off the Massey 3 weeks ago with cleth. Trying hard to get motivated to plant, a buddy is willing to let me use his no-till drill to put in oats and clover. Rain continues to miss us to the N,S,E,&W. I’m wondering if plotting at this point is futile? I could save a lot of time if I just gave up. We’re missing the rain again today, I’ll be watering trees for the first time in ‘24 in a couple weeks if this persists. I remember Paul Knox saying spring planting is difficult because planting windows are small with spring rains; that seems like a few lifetimes ago for a variety of reasons. :(

Most of you have experienced drought at some time or another. At what point does it not become drought and it becomes a new climate? As I see rain is falling once again in Texas, and people in Southern California are again complaining about too much rain, I can’t help but wonder if the climate change people are right? We’ve been in severe drought for almost 3 years now. There hasn’t been a local soybean harvest since fall of 2020. We haven’t even come close to half of our annual rainfall for 3 years straight, last year we got a quarter of it. They say the polar jet is moving north because of warming. I’m not sure exactly what that means considering rain continues to fall not that far north of us and OK and TX aren’t experiencing drought like us. It will be 2 years this-coming May since we’ve had 2 consecutive days of rainfall. I cannot understand what’s going on. It’s either honest to goodness climate change on a relatively local level, or we’re simply cursed.

Of course the climate is changing. The planet is getting warmer - the air is warmer and the oceans are warmer. Our high tides on the coast are a foot higher than they were when I was growing up.

What’s causing it? Who knows? The planet has always gone through cycles and always will. 3 years is not enough of a data point to draw conclusions from, but the trend for your local weather patterns is definitely concerning. You aren’t the first person on the forum to go through a period like this and you won’t be the last. Our awful drought was in 2012 but thankfully only lasted that year.

Of course the climate is changing. The planet is getting warmer - the air is warmer and the oceans are warmer. Our high tides on the coast are a foot higher than they were when I was growing up.

What’s causing it? Who knows? The planet has always gone through cycles and always will. 3 years is not enough of a data point to draw conclusions from, but the trend for your local weather patterns is definitely concerning. You aren’t the first person on the forum to go through a period like this and you won’t be the last. Our awful drought was in 2012 but thankfully only lasted that year.
We were a part of that widespread drought in ‘11 & ’12. It was rough, but nothing like what we’re experiencing now.
When it comes to this forum, it sucks because I have nothing to contribute but complaining. When nothing grows, what can you say on a habitat forum?

We were a part of that widespread drought in ‘11 & ’12. It was rough, but nothing like what we’re experiencing now.
When it comes to this forum, it sucks because I have nothing to contribute but complaining. When nothing grows, what can you say on a habitat forum?
I always check your area when I’m watching the radar. You need a drought busting tropical system. With El Niño leaving and La Niña arriving, you have a better chance of getting one this year.

I always check your area when I’m watching the radar. You need a drought busting tropical system. With El Niño leaving and La Niña arriving, you have a better chance of getting one this year.
The mid summer to early fall outlook isn’t good, EXCEPT for the likelihood of a very active hurricane season. So I hope you’re right.

Yesterday the streak ended at 667 days. 2.15” at the farm!!
Good for you ! We got a good rain last night too, but I haven’t checked the gauge yet. I’m a little under the weather with a head cold, sinus infection, or both.

Good for you ! We got a good rain last night too, but I haven’t checked the gauge yet. I’m a little under the weather with a head cold, sinus infection, or both.
Glad you got some, I saw the radar dumping down your way. Hope you get feeling better. Allergies wreak havoc for me this time of year.

We have gotten less than .5” in over a month now but of course we have a big camping trip with a bunch of friends who are coming down for the Red Feen Festival in Tahlequah scheduled for this coming weekend on Lake Tenkiller here near home Thursday-Monday and the weatherman is saying buckets of rain...everyday...maybe you should set up a big outdoors event?

We have gotten less than .5” in over a month now but of course we have a big camping trip with a bunch of friends who are coming down for the Red Feen Festival in Tahlequah scheduled for this coming weekend on Lake Tenkiller here near home Thursday-Monday and the weatherman is saying buckets of rain...everyday...maybe you should set up a big outdoors event?

We've tried everything. Only tactic that has worked in the last couple years was taking my car to the gym 3 weeks ago.:rolleyes::D That was the best rain we'd gotten in a long time; unfortunately, it was very short-lived.

We've tried everything. Only tactic that has worked in the last couple years was taking my car to the gym 3 weeks ago.:rolleyes::D That was the best rain we'd gotten in a long time; unfortunately, it was very short-lived.
I was watching the weather channel a couple nights ago and they were certain you were going to get rain this week. I was wondering if that materialized yet.

I feel your pain. We're entering year 4 on our drought. I spent years getting my property raised and ditched and ponds dug to utilize all my water. Soon as I had made enough progress to grow rye without it sitting in 4" of water come spring, it quit raining. I used to have full ponds all year and clover busting out my ears. Now, I've got dry ponds when the frost goes out, and I'm drier than I've ever seen. We had zero snow this past winter, which was great for deer, but I didn't even get spring puddles. For the first five years, I couldn't even drive on my trails until August. Now I have two weeks when the frost is going out, otherwise, they're rock hard.

I got 18 yards of mulch delivered last fall. I'm moving as quickly as I can to get as much as I can mulched knowing it's highly likely we'll continue in the drought. Frankly, until it changes, I have to assume it continues, or I'll lose what I've worked so hard to get this far. The one benefit I've got going for me is the first batch of mulch is about half way to being fully decomposed, and I'm adding more on top of it. I hope that keeps the biology high, the moisture retention high, and I can count of the fungal network to move moisture up the soil column.

I was watching the weather channel a couple nights ago and they were certain you were going to get rain this week. I was wondering if that materialized yet.

I feel your pain. We're entering year 4 on our drought. I spent years getting my property raised and ditched and ponds dug to utilize all my water. Soon as I had made enough progress to grow rye without it sitting in 4" of water come spring, it quit raining. I used to have full ponds all year and clover busting out my ears. Now, I've got dry ponds when the frost goes out, and I'm drier than I've ever seen. We had zero snow this past winter, which was great for deer, but I didn't even get spring puddles. For the first five years, I couldn't even drive on my trails until August. Now I have two weeks when the frost is going out, otherwise, they're rock hard.

I got 18 yards of mulch delivered last fall. I'm moving as quickly as I can to get as much as I can mulched knowing it's highly likely we'll continue in the drought. Frankly, until it changes, I have to assume it continues, or I'll lose what I've worked so hard to get this far. The one benefit I've got going for me is the first batch of mulch is about half way to being fully decomposed, and I'm adding more on top of it. I hope that keeps the biology high, the moisture retention high, and I can count of the fungal network to move moisture up the soil column.
We are supposed to get rain beginning tomorrow for several days. We’re praying the forecast is right!
How much should you average annually up that way?

We are supposed to get rain beginning tomorrow for several days. We’re praying the forecast is right!
How much should you average annually up that way?

Supposed to be 27” of rain, and another 3” as snow. It only rained once last year that could penetrate the surface crust, and that didn’t come until August. I’m all in for another frying pan this year. I’m spreading mulch again next time I’m up. Got more trees to do, and I want to get my gardens up to 6”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Supposed to be 27” of rain, and another 3” as snow. It only rained once last year that could penetrate the surface crust, and that didn’t come until August. I’m all in for another frying pan this year. I’m spreading mulch again next time I’m up. Got more trees to do, and I want to get my gardens up to 6”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
How far away is your property from your home?

Back