Gravity Feeders

I know you guys have bears. How do you keep bear out of them. No way would one survive more than a few wks here.

I have had a few bears visit the feeder but didn’t cause damage. Boss buck makes a product called sharks teeth for their feeders. I covered the 6x6 with them (keeps the coons off the feeder) and modified the strips to mount to the top of the feed ports to keep the bears from grabbing them. I’ve been lucky so far but like everything else it’s only a matter of time before Mother Nature shows me what I did wrong haha

We had a lease in central Georgia that was COVERED up in them. I killed thirty something in one deer season. The deer hunting sucked but the hog hunting made up for it in spades---no size limit, no sex limit, no trophies, taste great, no season, and plenty of them. Greatest game around. It's like I always say, I LOVE hogs---on someone else's land.

I just rid myself of my biggest hog problem when I sold my 217 acres. Here at home, they don't bother me quite as much, and on my lease they are just a nuisance.

My big place though, they were a constant source of irritation. It's a wet natured place and they rooted great craters in the ground, wash tub sized craters. It was a pain in the butt to mow, or travel in my golf cart around the perimeter. I got so tired of discing and dragging the areas that they liked to root. Everybody wants hogs until they get a bunch of them, and I got a BUNCH of them.
yes they suck. I can't stand them. You will have a beautiful plot one day and the next it looks like hand grenades were tossed all in it. For those that always say "I wished we had some hogs to give us something else to shoot at" no you don't. The single most destructive force I know of lol. I put 100 pounds of corn down to get a kid a deer and it was gone the next morning, checked the camera and hogs ate it all in 4 hours. That is with it broadcasted over a big area, not just poured out. Did I mention I hate the things yet? I went after the preggos I had going to a feeder that another member had out and they have not been there this week which I was afraid off. Looks like they are laid up which means they probably popped.

We had a lease in central Georgia that was COVERED up in them. I killed thirty something in one deer season. The deer hunting sucked but the hog hunting made up for it in spades---no size limit, no sex limit, no trophies, taste great, no season, and plenty of them. Greatest game around. It's like I always say, I LOVE hogs---on someone else's land.
Lol yes on someone else's land. I have killed 25 since mid Turkey season in Dooly.

I also have the small redneck feeders, they work great cept u gotta fill them so often, i too may get a banks 300 for next year.

Take 10 hog panels and make a round pen. I cut my T posts off to be flush with the top of the panels when the plate is buried on the T post. We have to pen all our feeders here unless you want the hogs lounging around all day. After doing this, my deer pics doubled and hogs virtually disappeared off my game cam pics. I've never had a hog in the pens. What won't keep them in will keep them out !

A ten foot radius will be too small IMO. Eight to ten hog panels will be enough room that they won't feel crowded.
View attachment 14057

thanks for the heads up on the size of the "exclusion cage".

here is some of what they have done to my banks feeders and this was in 60 days, i still really like the products, but damn the hogs. you can see my drill bit set in the back ground, thanks to Triple C i added the wood screws.

20181128_112815.jpg
20181128_113624.jpg
THE LLC, you would be welcome, i think we are but a few hours drive, but my hogs are so transient, thick as thieves for 1-3 months, then no where to be found for the next 1-3 months. they are so unpredictable that i hate to attempt to put money into any effort to eliminate them. i quit baiting early august, and haven't seen one (more than 50 yards off the river) since October first.

i refilled the feeders yesterday, we will see what happens.

On a side note we did serve 2 smoked hams at thanksgiving and not much was left. I did it more to irritate my mom since she swore she would attend dinner if there was wild hog meat on the table!

i dont mean to hijack your thread, but here is an interesting pic. I shot this sow in the face at 30 yards with my .357 magnum. I thought i made a good shot, i was shocked to watch her run off as though i missed. 90 days later i was hunting and i see a sow and piglets come out, i kill this pig in the picture (and 2 little ones). as i approach her i notice she has a facial injury.....it was the same hog i shot in the face. i tied her to a tree and let nature take care of the rest......

they are tough!

20181017_103411.jpg 20180921_192438.jpg

Attachments

• 20181017_103411.jpg
    20181017_103411.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20180921_192438.jpg
    20180921_192438.jpg
    214.6 KB · Views: 0
THE LLC, you would be welcome, i think we are but a few hours drive, but my hogs are so transient, thick as thieves for 1-3 months, then no where to be found for the next 1-3 months. they are so unpredictable that i hate to attempt to put money into any effort to eliminate them. i quit baiting early august, and haven't seen one (more than 50 yards off the river) since October first.

Corral trap, cell-based camera, and guillotine door. Trust me.

I have a cell phone camera....I can build the trap and door......how do I drop the door? (With out hiring jager pro or a competitor)

Go watch these videos. We built ours EXACTLY like this and we wear them out. By putting just a small amount of corn under the trigger, the runt will always come in last and go to the bait under the trigger and catch them all. Fun as CRAP!!!

Alright, I'm interested. So it's not a remote trigger. It's a remote camera that informs me of what has happened?

I can usually visit the farm 1-2 times a week if needed.

So I build, bait, and eventually set the trap. Then my cell camera tells me what I caught?

I've been hesitant to trap, although I'm gonna dispatch them, it didn't sit easy with me thinking about having a trap full of hogs sit for a week. Just got the cellular camera a few weeks ago.

This might just work.

Alright, I'm interested. So it's not a remote trigger. It's a remote camera that informs me of what has happened?

I can usually visit the farm 1-2 times a week if needed.

So I build, bait, and eventually set the trap. Then my cell camera tells me what I caught?

Yep. Our place is an hour and a half from here so it was getting expensive to set the trap, wait a couple days, then go check only to have an empty trap. We bought the camera, and when the trap is sprung, we go kill 'em. We have caught a TON.3-11-18 Boars.jpg

I've been hesitant to trap, although I'm gonna dispatch them, it didn't sit easy with me thinking about having a trap full of hogs sit for a week. Just got the cellular camera a few weeks ago.

This might just work.

We've let them stay longer than that. Long as they got feed they get comfortable quick. That's what the spin feeder is really good for.

If your a member at Sportsman Guide they have the banks feeder for 233.99 and if you enter coupon code TAKE50 you will get a additional 50.00 off.

Back