Hope You Are Proud of What You've Done

dogghr

Was at a big box store today, and as usual, checked out the content of the multiple bags of food plot seed taking up an entire aisle. Now I'm all for our capitalistic society, and nothing against those who manage to make money with an idea. And in reality, I think many of the food plot seed marketers are at least partly responsible for changing the attitude of many that land and animal management can make a difference in the quality of the deer herd anywhere in the country and is not limited to certain midwestern states.

But.....dang it I get aggravated. New sales gimmic is to use sq ft in add as oppossed to acreage, i.e., one said plants 11000sq ft, and we all know that is not quite 1/4 and ac. Add to that, 89% of that bag was annual rye grass/not rye grain. One of the good ingredients in one bag was 1% of the bag!! Get that?? Your 1/4 ac plot is to have 1% of really good stuff growing. And its costing you the equivalent of nearly 76$ /ac. Are you ** kidding me?

My point is, that you people on here are freely sharing knowledge to plant effectively, and at minimal cost, minimal effort, and all the whilst improving not only the deer herd but the soils and the associated plant and animal life. And its free! Be proud. Be very proud as to what you are accomplishing for others one step at a time. Most will never know how your help will mushroom over several generations to come. Congratulations, just my little rant for the day.

I like to hit the sales at the tale end of deer season on all the seed products that didn't sell and pick up a few bags at a greatly reduced cost. I used a couple bags of one of those products last fall and I was mighty impressed in how well it did in the small less than 10,000 square foot area I put it in. I think it fits a niche but if you are planting any sizable amount of ground at all your best bet is the local Co-op or seed and feed or whatever... No rye grass in what I picked up...it was all brassicas and clover...$3 a 2.5 lb bag :)

I do the same thing Okie. Big box stores will put that 40 dollar bag of seed on sale for 7 or 8 bucks at the end of the season. Its all about the clearance isle!

Honestly some of the best bob mixes I have seen have been cabelas mixes. Prices are high but mixes are good and they are on sales a lot.

I hate seeing rye grass being used. Darn shame

Amazing how many BOB's contain rye grass. But it greens up fast and looks good. Makes people feel good to look at it and see it nice and green quick. I can't help but look at the bags as well and see what all kind of seed it contains, %'s, etc. I always end up shaking my head at what they charge.

I taught motorcycle safety for 10 years. Was trained by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. I also taught Rider's Edge for 7 of those years. I taught with some great coaches. I also taught with a few that had no business teaching. The Rider's Edge classes cost about 3x the cost of the class being offered at the local community college. The Rider's Edge class was a great marketing tool of a motorcycle manufacture. Not once did we have a negative complaint from a student.Regardless of how horrible I thought it was going or how it wasn't going "right". I mention all that to say this.For most of the population If a person perceives something as a positive experience it doesn't matter how ineffective or expensive it is. That always comes to mind when I read about BOB products and mineral mix conversations.

Last edited:
I look at the labels all the time. That was why I tend to go to my co-op and get only what I am looking for as well. My wife finds me in the seed aisle all the time and my kids say, "Dad's getting his deer nerd on again!" Oh and you do this long enough and you know without thinking that an acre is 43,560 square feet. That is roughly 208 feet square and there are 640 acres in a square mile!!!!!

Yes - lots of "filler" in those BOB bags as well......That is why I posted the labels off the bags of the BOB seed I just bought, I figure if everyone did this we wouldn't have to watch the dang labels anymore! Those seed companies simply want something to grow.....and well rye grass will grow!

Was at a big box store today, and as usual, checked out the content of the multiple bags of food plot seed taking up an entire aisle. Now I'm all for our capitalistic society, and nothing against those who manage to make money with an idea. And in reality, I think many of the food plot seed marketers are at least partly responsible for changing the attitude of many that land and animal management can make a difference in the quality of the deer herd anywhere in the country and is not limited to certain midwestern states.

But.....dang it I get aggravated. New sales gimmic is to use sq ft in add as oppossed to acreage, i.e., one said plants 11000sq ft, and we all know that is not quite 1/4 and ac. Add to that, 89% of that bag was annual rye grass/not rye grain. One of the good ingredients in one bag was 1% of the bag!! Get that?? Your 1/4 ac plot is to have 1% of really good stuff growing. And its costing you the equivalent of nearly 76$ /ac. Are you ** kidding me?

My point is, that you people on here are freely sharing knowledge to plant effectively, and at minimal cost, minimal effort, and all the whilst improving not only the deer herd but the soils and the associated plant and animal life. And its free! Be proud. Be very proud as to what you are accomplishing for others one step at a time. Most will never know how your help will mushroom over several generations to come. Congratulations, just my little rant for the day.
It's an inspiring thing having an experienced resource to get the scoop...I appreciate you and others that share with those of us that really need it.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

There actually are some decent mixes out there especially for doing small number of plots. I think the 11000 ft coverage on front of bag what really got me going. I, too use some of them if caught at diff price, but I still throw out my compliment to all you people. You don't know what you don't know until you find out that you don't know. Even one of my coops has their own mix they like to push on me when I'm buying my seed combos. I just smile and say no thanks, they know, and smile back.

There actually are some decent mixes out there especially for doing small number of plots. I think the 11000 ft coverage on front of bag what really got me going. I, too use some of them if caught at diff price, but I still throw out my compliment to all you people. You don't know what you don't know until you find out that you don't know. Even one of my coops has their own mix they like to push on me when I'm buying my seed combos. I just smile and say no thanks, they know, and smile back.
We have a couple of local co-ops that have mixes, they both asked why I didn't just get their mix and so I politely explained I didn't want my clover and brassica seed mixed with my cereal grains and why. Both times they said you must take this deer stuff serious. I just grinned and paid for my order.

I picked up seed today from a small coop in south Oklahoma. While the guy was filling my order, I noticed a 5lb bob of chicory. I was thinking about adding it till I saw the price, $43.00, No Way!

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I would venture to say that 9 out of 10 bags of BOB seed I have inspected are either infested with the dreaded ryegrass or have too much seed of different sizes, making it virtually impossible to plant it effectively.

One thing I've always wanted to see is a 50# sack with 20 of WR, 20 of oats, 5# of winter peas, and then a smaller, separate sack inside of it, with 1# of ladino, 1# of chicory, and 2# of medium red. It would be 50# of seed in the sack, but it would be separated and sufficient to plant 1/4 acre with the LC fall mix. You would take out the smaller sack, broadcast the larger, lightly disc in (and/or cultipack), then broadcast the smaller seed and cultipack again. If a guy were to buy four of these pre-packaged mixes, he'd have enough for an acre. (Actually, that would be more than enough, but at least it would be good seed that wasn't loaded with junk...)

Yep, even if you get a good deal on many of the BOB mixes you will regret planting them due to the high percentage of ryegrass. It will likely be a recurrent pain. My local farm stores do have some mixes produced by some local companies that do not use rye grass, and even though a little more expensive than mixing my own, I can typically get AWP or cowpeas in a mix with cereal grains so that I don't have to order them separately. I then just add additional cereal grains if need be to cover my given area. Not a bad trade off. The past few years they have also begun carrying forage radishes, chicory, PTT, and rape seed, all individually packaged at reasonable costs. Handy!

I buy 90% of my seed at the local seed & fert store.

Bought turnip seed for $1.50 / lb & daikon radish for $1.75 lb last week. I thought that was cheap

The company " Evolved harvest " has 90% Rye grass in most of their mixes. Evolved harvest is ripping off uneducated plotters. They would be a perfect partner advertising in the QDMA magazine.

Whitetail institute, Antler King, Tecomate and Mossy oak at least give you a decent mix.

Last edited:
Back