House and Habitat build thread:

After some saw work and cleaning.
6d1005bd9f6ec36c1c59a168bc2e4788.jpg

My chainsaw is in the window for perspective.
ec1d24eec29ab772c59ca13eed6bd24b.jpg

57f4642b079fa812f7d0380b97f28324.jpg

The hill side wall has fallen in.
683f292a6c433f03cc9c5bb42917d357.jpg

This stone is at the center of the fallen wall. I think a timber fit in this notch and was the center of the roof.
d2d83582b7b64f1e556da309ae90b98d.jpg

Stones were notched for interlocking fit.
2f5591d703cbe9b7ccec58ad8268faf6.jpg

The other structures at the site after the cleaning.
38fbbffa98c6adaa65ab8eb3ddb20b21.jpg

aef8efa677cecd3d4a21780c0d9c5550.jpg

e99657b49c7adaa1cc8d8c907a05a24c.jpg

f0d0510cfe8a7085e1fce3b8f1251be8.jpg

e5615b461124f41e60182877f799c3a1.jpg

e2d2ac8e3b3f6f7d83b03ec3cd25f6f0.jpg

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Is that an old school house?

That rat was desperate. I pulled a pair of 'black beaks' out of a dogproof one day....when use put a small square of sponge on the trigger....always wondered if that crow lived!
I added an explanation to the post with the pics (probability while you were posting). I don't think it was a school house. Rock fences, old wire, and some other structures suggest it was a homestead. But I'm no historian so maybe it is.

The rat barely fit into the hole. He's now coyote bait.

I've caught crows in leg holds before, but never just a beak. Had to be one confused bird!

Wow! So awesome to have those around. Very interesting with the two styles of rock involved.
When we went to Europe we learned how old some places really are. They took centuries to build a castle with several generations of rulers overseeing parts of the build. You can see the difference in materials and workmanship for each addition.
It looks to me like we have a couple of build styles and probably an original settlement for shelter, and another that was built later with more time and care taken.

That's one hell of a tour. Nice work! Did you ever come to a conclusion on what your oak issue might be? I almost wonder if it isn't old age.

When we went to Europe we learned how old some places really are. They took centuries to build a castle with several generations of rulers overseeing parts of the build. You can see the difference in materials and workmanship for each addition.
It looks to me like we have a couple of build styles and probably an original settlement for shelter, and another that was built later with more time and care taken.

Glad to see that you went in and got those trees cut out of there since they would eventually ruin it.

That's one hell of a tour. Nice work! Did you ever come to a conclusion on what your oak issue might be? I almost wonder if it isn't old age.
No real conclusion; but with the scars on the trunks, drought, and then wet yr I'm hopeful it just a combination of things that took down a couple of oldies.

Maybe they used 'blems' from bridge construction quarry? most of those are quarried stone and you gotta figure the scrap pile would be free gratis....craftsmanship looks similar to some of the old houses down here which were circa 1900, coal mines, Italians. How?..good question....suspect TNT, rock hammers, chisels, wedges...cheap immigrant labor....and knowledge of quarry and mining. There was a minor German French influence down here.....but Italian mostly. The flat/thin sandstone here went for rock/mortar walls or mudded into whiskey stills. Somewhere I have an old split rail axe head which was used to make split rail fence.

You don't know how much I enjoyed those pics of the old homestead. I find that stuff fascinating. In my area there was a strong influx of Italian and Polish and German. There are walls and structures across the state still intact with no upkeep since the 1800s. Their ingenuity is beyond comprehending especially in todays world of poor pride and workmanship. If you haven't, youtube how to split rocks like were used in your house shown. I had an old time mason show me how to split and manage a boulder into blocks of stone. I always thot it was brute force, but in reality just manipulation of the rock structure, and a little brute force. You just never know what you will see on a forum about deer management. Thanks.

Maybe they used 'blems' from bridge construction quarry? most of those are quarried stone and you gotta figure the scrap pile would be free gratis....craftsmanship looks similar to some of the old houses down here which were circa 1900, coal mines, Italians. How?..good question....suspect TNT, rock hammers, chisels, wedges...cheap immigrant labor....and knowledge of quarry and mining. There was a minor German French influence down here.....but Italian mostly. The flat/thin sandstone here went for rock/mortar walls or mudded into whiskey stills. Somewhere I have an old split rail axe head which was used to make split rail fence.

The area that this sets on is unusually flat for our terrain, always figured they quarried it on-site. I wonder if it was the quarry site for the bridges too? I found a picture on the internet of them building one of the local bridges; several men, 1 horse, and a set of really tall gin poles.
Your guys' stone is a lot different than ours.
That split rail axe head would be cool! I love old tools!

You don't know how much I enjoyed those pics of the old homestead. I find that stuff fascinating. In my area there was a strong influx of Italian and Polish and German. There are walls and structures across the state still intact with no upkeep since the 1800s. Their ingenuity is beyond comprehending especially in todays world of poor pride and workmanship. If you haven't, youtube how to split rocks like were used in your house shown. I had an old time mason show me how to split and manage a boulder into blocks of stone. I always thot it was brute force, but in reality just manipulation of the rock structure, and a little brute force. You just never know what you will see on a forum about deer management. Thanks.

I mirror your feelings about this stuff exactly.
I've got a set of Pins and Feathers with intentions of working stone. Lol, most of them are still stuck in a large boulder below the house. Actually having an old timers show you how it's done is invaluable, and really neat too.

Catscratch,

Love the tour of the old stone structure. Thanks for sharing. The chainsaw on the wall gives great prospective.

Wayne

Card pull this morning (I love checking trail cams!).
Put one in the front yard just cause I thought it would be cool. I broadcasted some clover in the yard this fall and we get visitors regularly.
5040d1439cf5426c1393d07bcc88e886.jpg

It always amazes me how attractive fresh dirt is to critters. The new water hole I dug a few weeks ago has no water in it yet, but there are always deer and coyotes checking it out. I've found they love mounds of dirt more than anything. Always fresh tracks on any mound that I make.
b6eb3fa4de1acf5ad439bb8626d05fc8.jpg

174c5982a77f687f3c1464635c33b628.jpg

e4fa1b293b9497d58553e8ec5a9b0b89.jpg

The rub post I set is still being visited on a daily basis. Easiest attractant for trailcams I've found yet.
8cc2c433d26d1db8c6cc521603e70442.jpg

A couple of new guys. There are several transitions times for our deer herd. Late winter is one of the times I tend to start seeing new bucks.
d1c1f617dc2e9bba5d6913af2801068d.jpg

e151e82cd6b8d055da7dccf1b09f1633.jpg

This morning's sunrise was incredible. Every time I think I've seen the best one possible, a new one blows my mind.
Have a great day everyone.
aa959842d6a1cb707a24b284db2f283f.jpg

Last edited:
Catscratch,

Love the tour of the old stone structure. Thanks for sharing. The chainsaw on the wall gives great prospective.

Wayne
Thanks. Pics never do justice. I hoped the saw would bring some reality to the size of the stone.

In the middle of cooking some backstrap for lunch and looked out the window in time to watch a yote work one of our sets. He's one of the mangy one's, nice to have him out of the population.
aba6923d7f90aadfd3b29f47871c69be.jpg

Some yearly visitors showed up. 6 swans were on the lake yesterday morning and another 10 showed up this morning. They are amazing to watch.
7e5c30880898ae69d343aef1fcd21f55.jpg

b988b1420548987285aaf9c95c642ebd.jpg

I moved and reset traps last night (haven't kept them set during the week, and didn't keep them set while we had an ice storm last week... so it's been a while).
I have two dirthole sets and two dogproof coon sets. Haven't caught a coon yet or even seen one on a trailcam pic for a couple of months. But I was pleasantly surprised to find both legholds to have something in them this morning.
One less mangy yote and one less nest robber on the place.
7549289ec48db09f8a67314f0ef965d4.jpg

9cc8ad323caf282797719c15c55fa150.jpg

Walking the trap line give the kids "plinking" time. We walk the woods and shoot at anything we feel like, not like when on a hunt and you have to be quite all the time. Lot's of laughs and mini hunts. Relaxing and cherished time with the kiddo's.
5a6017e7f57cad0bba1ed18ffe812c4a.jpg

This odd color phase robin has been hanging around the place. I asked a taxidermist if a robin could be mounted. He said if it's illegal to shoot it, it's illegal to mount it :( I suspected that would be his answer though.
9feb7e49d52b6845499991ab8596f67c.jpg

Last edited:
Good deal on the "plinking" time. I enjoy it myself, and two oldest grandsons are really into it.
The deer thought your new water hole was just a big scrape, and they were IMPRESSED and anxious to see the buck that made it!!

Lol, that would be an impressive buck! I doubt they are in it much now, the ice storm we got last weekend actually put down over an inch of rain and filled her up when it all melted.

I think bare dirt is one of the best attractants you can get. You'll notice both catches last night were on dirt mounds. Another place I like to trap is on a bale of hay/straw. Yotes love to investigate and perch on them.
6c6c3f0ae16e66096baf8994a5bdf394.jpg

Dang I hate mange! Its not even a really effective way to control adult coyotes as they seem to survive for a long time with mange. Mangey coyotes dont make anything but fertilizer. We had mange real bad here about 10 years ago. I have only killed one this year that had a touch too much mange on the belly to sell on the fur market but I will tan him and sell him in the taxidermy shop to someone. The rest of mine have been mange free! I am about done putting up my coyotes from my week of calling and snaring so I will post a picture sometime soon.

That robin is cool. I swear I have had the same robin set up shop at my house the last 2-3 years. It has a white spot on its tail feathers so it seems to be pretty distinguishable from the others around.

Back