How many plan to walk away from QDMA?

After 11 years of being a member, I called and cancelled a couple days ago. I believe the forum was their best tool for actually helping educate people on how to improve deer habitat, and they couldn't care less about throwing all that knowledge out the window. To not at least have it available for viewing is unconscionable.

I’m out as well. The way they handled the shut down and the way they just treated some of the most hardcore members they have showed me enough. I always thought that QDMA stood for the science and truth behind deer management but I’m afraid I was just being blind. I fully believe they got rid of the forum so that we could no longer dictate the message to the public. Being the top hits on Google searches is a very, very big deal. If they we’re really concerned about allowing the truth to be told, then they wouldn’t be burning all the books like they’re doing. A couple years ago one of the top brass was on TV pushing one of the products where you pour powder out of a bag and the big bucks come running….using words like “science”. That rubbed me the wrong way back then and should have been a bigger red flag.

It's like waking up to see what you brought home last night is not quite what you thought. I had issues with some of their thinking anyways and in some ways I think their mentality has contributed to loss of hunting interest within the general population and even loss of the true enjoyment within the hunting ranks of the sport. I had worked hard to promote their thinking in a state whose mentality of the deer was in the complete opposite direction. Even their mediocre mag was exposed to 1000+ individuals/mo in my office for 7 years. No more. I'm sure the org will exist well without me but I want no part after they burned that bridge in such a rude and inconsiderate manner without any thot to the many who had spent many hours helping their agenda. I typically don't get worked up about most things in life and tend to roll with the punches but this crap just PISSED me off in a bad way. We as a group can return the act of developing a mature deer herd and educating the masses as a movement as it once was and not as a money goaded corp entity it had become.

I found the forum through a google search and found the mother load of info. As a new land owner the forum helped me more than any other info source could have. I joined QDMA last year and renewed last month and will probably not renew after this. A magazine is no match for real time info from those who practice and do this stuff regularly and are willing to educate others and share it.

I won't be renewing my QDMA membership. I honestly joined last year because I wanted my QDMA Forum signature to say "QDMA Member" instead of "guest." Funny thing is that I had to send a follow-up email a couple months after I joined to get them to actually update my profile. I believe in the QDM philosophy but I can contribute to education and outreach without being a QDMA member from hereafter.

And I almost forgot... I haven't received a single issue of Quality Whitetails yet! So much for that "membership perk!"

I'm done with em.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Really? By some of your recent posts over there I think that was pretty clear:D. I actually snipped a few of them and posted them on other forums because I liked your literary skills!!!!;) A man of few words!

I won't be renewing either. As many have said they are alienating some of there most hard core members. The magazine has also went down hill in the last year or two. At least with the big boys like NWTF they are fairly up front "we want to make money to fund conservation projects" which is fine. QDMA always went more the education route now they want to jump in and compete with the big boys (NWTF, DU, PF). Hell even Whitetails Unlimited has bigger local banquets than the QDMA national convention. Best of luck.

Really? By some of your recent posts over there I think that was pretty clear:D. I actually snipped a few of them and posted them on other forums because I liked your literary skills!!!!;) A man of few words!

It got me my first banning!

Maybe I should have toned it down so I could tell them they suck every day until the end.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Walked away many years ago from QDMA and made it clear why to forum users many times. Not happy with the closure of the QD forum as it is a very busy time of year to deal with more BS. A wise man watches the tides, so he can see the tsunami coming!

You don't have to be a member of any organization to have a positive impact on the resource. You just need the kinship and brotherhood you have created in past domain!

Save your membership money for better edification of what you do....or spend it on your loved ones!

Simply tell people your story every time you get the chance. Spread the word and the word will spread! Jesus did not need a forum or a membership did He?....no He spread His word and His word spread among the masses...like wildfire!

There is a massive difference between studying biology and the practical application of biological principles in the field. Many biologists lack field scale and ecosystem scale experience. You my friends are 'practical field experts' and must tell your story!

It is your failures and successes with land stewardship which will help others to apply these biological principles to their land stewardship practices. One part ebbing and flowing with other parts to create a holistic well oiled machine!

Leave the QDMA biologists and young politicians to their chosen path and consequences of such. One day we all must face the music of our actions in front of God Himself!

Tell your story here through your pictures, good citations and your penmanship/interpretation. Leave a legacy for others...just as Paul Knox did. All of you are experts for your land...no biologist knows it better than you.....educate yourselves...put your story to pen!

Enough of venting over QDMA forum...it is done....move forth with Godspeed! Rhetorically....You have been ousted from the Holy Land....now create your new city!

Use your time to spread your word here! Fill up the Native Habitat and Food Plot forum with land tour threads.....go forth....get on with it....set the precedent for a strong foundation! Be wise....be kind....be determined!

Go on....get busy....go....go....go! Rome were not built in a day but someone had to set the first stones! Who take charge and set the first stones? Go....man....go!

+

Glad you over here Doug. Will make my life simpler if I can find all the great input in one location.

When I came to the other forum....it sat upon a firm foundation. When I go to another forum it must first be set upon a firm foundation!

I will wait and watch as you folks build your dream land! Go forth....get busy folks....build the foundation!

+

You are a writer! I better see some blood on these pages from your diligent typing....let your fingers fly and be free! Go...man....go!

When I came to the other forum....it sat upon a firm foundation. When I go to another forum it must first be set upon a firm foundation!

+

I think that last foundation might have had a few cracks in it! House is sure coming down quick. Why not grab a bucket of mortar and help build?

I look at this like we'll just take the dozer to the old house and build a bigger one on the same footing (knowledgeable, passionate people). Glad to see you here Doug, at least testing the waters. You are exactly the type of "footing" I am referencing above.

Last edited:
I grew up not knowing anything about QDMA, but joined after finding the forum. Honestly, the QDMA never did anything that I truly enjoyed except provide the forum for all of us, therefore, I'm out

QDMA is more interested in being a social club than a resource. I subscribed on and off to the magazine over the years mostly unenthusiastically....because it is very mediocre most of the time with an occasional good issue. Lately it is just junk. I don't care about the who's who of QDMA and it almost reads like a gossip rag and with a lot self-aggrandizing. I used to like the Leupold landscapes that featured in depth sketches of how property owners had improved their properties. That went away.

When I found the forum a few years ago I rejoined and have not let it lapse since. I do not believe for one second that this decision was motivated by anything other than a perception by the inner circle of management that the forum detracted from their control of the message and concern for how that impacted sponsor marketing, etc. No doubt the underestimated what will ultimately be the fallout from this poor decision. Will not rejoin as long as the forum is down and current management is in place.

I had found the QDMA forum after the aquisition of more property, which I felt I could use to help improve deer habitat, and thus improve my own hunts. I only found the forum after internet searches on how to do just that.
I'm just a simple guy from central Wisconsin who loves to hunt, and only has 35 of my own acres to do that on.
My thanks goes out to those who set out to create this forum, where I can continue with what I set out to do, learn how to improve my deer habitat and therfore improve my own hunts.

Back