How to control Merestail?

PecanArcher

I'm getting more merestail in my orchard than I would like. My herbicide strips are kept up with gly and it is not doing much to the merestail. Any ideas on what else to try to use? I can't use 24-D in the orchard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have quite a bit if marestail at my place. I have found that mowing is the my best option when I can spray. I have not seen any gly resistance with mine yet so I will spot spray when needed.

What rate for gly? I'm using approximately 2qts per acre but it might be a little on the low side of that.

What rate for gly? I'm using approximately 2qts per acre but it might be a little on the low side of that.

If you're in an ag area the marestail is gly resistant. there are quite a few things that will kill it like garlon, tordon, valor, raptor, etc

When I am spot spraying I use 3 to 4 oz per gallon. I have a 15 gallon tank sprayer. I can do about 3/4 acre with it and I mix in 2 quarts. So it's a little bit on the heavier side. I don't have any Ag around my area so that might be why I am not seeing resistance yet. The 2 plants that I have trouble with is wild blackberry and passion flower--they just laugh at gly.

For marestail I tend to use a broadleaf herbicide (brush killer). It laughs at gly on my place....and basic 2,4D will only kill it when it's younger. For a more mature plant - I use a product called "crossbow" or "crossroad" - that does the trick.....it will kill all other broadleaf plants as well. I have places right now where I sprayed gly 2 weeks ago and everything is dead.....except the marestail......like I said, it just laughed.....I knew it would.

If your wanting to keep it just out of your orchard area, unless it is a very large orchard you could manually remove it. I have gly resistant marestail and I walk my bean plots(5 acres) twice, once in June and again in July and hoe or pull them out. My plot is as clean as it has ever been and marestail can't be seen. Away from the plots I spot spray with pastureguard and cimmaron as I look for serecia lesp.

If you don't want to spray then you can pull it or mow it.I do both depending on where it is.ignite also will usually kill it.That is what you spray on liberty link soybeans.Had a farmer tell me the other day that in 15 years they will be back to discing as you won't be able to use a herbicide that will kill anything

I'm getting more merestail in my orchard than I would like. My herbicide strips are kept up with gly and it is not doing much to the merestail. Any ideas on what else to try to use? I can't use 24-D in the orchard.

My method might not work in your orchard situation, because you probably want to mow it frequently - but there is a very good way to take care of MT. Let it grow the whole season without mowing it, and then about 2 weeks before the seed become viable, mow it low. It won't be able to recover, because it has already put most of its energy toward seed production. Since it's an annual, you have eliminated the seed crop, and it doesn't come back from the roots next year.

If you mow it occasionally throughout the season it will adapt to the mowing and still produce seed on a low stalk. It will keep coming back year after year. But use the method I mentioned above and you will take care of it - unless of course you have seed blowing in from another nearby field where it is growing. It may take a couple of years doing this to exhaust the seed bank, but it works very well.

Back