I know this is a deer hunting forum, but....

I thoroughly enjoy turkey hunting and we have a "Bird" hunting section on this forum for stuff like that...

I'm a big turkey hunter. Unfortunately on my place the population has crashed over the past 7 years. No idea what the issue is.

That seem to be an issue in a lot of places. I know it is on my place.
I have the opposite problem. I bet on my two parcels we have 50-60 turkeys. Hunting them is a joke early season when you get this many birds. I've got two guys the first 3 seasons - they'll shoot 5-6 but this doesn't make a difference at all. We need a season to take a bunch of hens or some over population control means.

I'm a big turkey hunter. Unfortunately on my place the population has crashed over the past 7 years. No idea what the issue is.

Same in my parts of the state. I think a big part of it is the explosion of nest predators since fur prices are in the crapper.....

Hoosier here as well! I would pick turkey hunting over anything else. Heading to Georgia two weeks from today for their opener. Shot a nice Osceola in FL. last year. Trying to get out west for a few other sub species is in my near future!

Hoosier here as well! I would pick turkey hunting over anything else. Heading to Georgia two weeks from today for their opener. Shot a nice Osceola in FL. last year. Trying to get out west for a few other sub species is in my near future!

I haven't hunted Osceolas since 2010. I killed 5 in 3 years on wide-open public land. It was fun, but I'm done with that till I'm retired. I have a house-trailer in Okeechobee.

My part of Indiana has never had turkeys, get my turkey fix in NE MO.

I will hunt opening day and that's about it. Once you've seen one turkey, you've seen them all. And they are difficult to make taste good.

It gives me something to do in the spring besides run the chainsaw I guess

I have the opposite problem. I bet on my two parcels we have 50-60 turkeys. Hunting them is a joke early season when you get this many birds. I've got two guys the first 3 seasons - they'll shoot 5-6 but this doesn't make a difference at all. We need a season to take a bunch of hens or some over population control means.

I have this same problem. Way to many birds for all small timber around here to support. Then our great state of Illinois only allows hunters to take one bird during spring season. I see 50 or so birds just about anytime I go into a couple of my properties. I can't get out of state guys in to hunt turkey because out of state tags are crazy priced. So eventually the turkey will rule the world if they don't start allowing us to kill them.

Population depends on our yotes and bobcats. Those populations are down and I see flocks of 40+ everytime I pull into the farm. Don't really care much for them and hate them when evening is coming on with a deer hunt and the things decide to roost over you. What a racket. Last few I've shot with bow but never the recurve. Going to try that this year expecially on this one old loner Tom I see sometimes. Other than that, wouldn't care if the season existed. I think we can take 3 spring and fall. No baiting.

Population depends on our yotes and bobcats. Those populations are down and I see flocks of 40+ everytime I pull into the farm. Don't really care much for them and hate them when evening is coming on with a deer hunt and the things decide to roost over you. What a racket. Last few I've shot with bow but never the recurve. Going to try that this year expecially on this one old loner Tom I see sometimes. Other than that, wouldn't care if the season existed. I think we can take 3 spring and fall. No baiting.
I'm sure you could find plenty of folks willing to help reduce the population with very little work. LOL

Last edited:
I hope to get one, but like Nebraskaz71 I'm normally in the wrong place at the wrong time.

Back