Intro

PecanArcher

Hey all. I was a member back at the QDMA forum. Although I wasn't super active, I always new I could come to that forum for awesome info and conversation. Hate to see it go, but glad to see a new forum started. Looking forward to being apart of it!

As for me: I'm a husband; father of 3 kiddos 3 and under; firefighter; and pecan farmer. When I'm not tied up with any of that, I'm hunting:cool:. Happy to be here.

Welcome to this habitat group of addicts.

Could you share a little info about your Pecan Farming? Years ago in the late 1970s I lived in Waycross, GA for three years. I had a home with two huge pecan trees that paid for my taxes.

How many acres? Do you machine harvest?

Thanks for being a fire fighter. :)

Welcome to this habitat group of addicts.

Could you share a little info about your Pecan Farming? Years ago in the late 1970s I lived in Waycross, GA for three years. I had a home with two huge pecan trees that paid for my taxes.

How many acres? Do you machine harvest?

Thanks for being a fire fighter. :)

Best job in the world :)

By no means am I an expert in the pecan world. I actually married into that part of my life about 5 years ago ;). My father-in-law started the orchard about 15 years ago. It's 45 acres. Irrigated and laid out in rows. All grafted to a few different paper-shell varieties. It was semi neglected for years from the various people who lived and worked the farm for my FIL. I've been managing it on my days off since 2011. It was harvested for the first time in 2012. All machine harvested with shaker and pecan harvester and a whole lotta work ;). I'll probably do about 8000lbs of cleaned, in-shell pecans this season. Plan on planting about 400 trees before next spring.

Welcome to the board! I see you are a fellow Okie...

I remember a few of you from the QDMA forum. 3 kids have had my hands tied and I didn't frequent the forum as much recently o_O. Figured when I'm at the fire station I can check in here on a more regular basis.

Glad to have you aboard. I can only imagine how busy with 3 kids. My Dad always said "God knew what he was doing when he gave kids to young folks". Grandpas like me can enjoy them in short visits but send them back. Wanting to know more about Pecan farming. I planted three tress from Stark Bros a couple years back. They are alive and doing ok but not fast growers.

Glad to have you aboard. I can only imagine how busy with 3 kids. My Dad always said "God knew what he was doing when he gave kids to young folks". Grandpas like me can enjoy them in short visits but send them back. Wanting to know more about Pecan farming. I planted three tress from Stark Bros a couple years back. They are alive and doing ok but not fast growers.

I get to rest when I go to work at the fire station :p - What kind did you plant? If you keep any grass/weeds around the tree killed by spraying or mulching it will really help for pecan trees. My tree rows have herbicide strips about 8' sprayed on either side of the tree. So they have at least 16' of weed free soil in all directions below the tree. Fertilize every two weeks when they bud out in the spring and do that up until the end of June. That plus water, lots and lots of water and they will grow like weeds.

Last edited:
Yes I can tell right now - all of us goin enjoy this Pecan Lesson for sure. :D

I want to know what pecans to plant for deer and when can I expect them to bear? Is pollination an issue?

You are the teacher here and many of us will be eager learners. I have 220 acres where the timber was cut.

I am not interested in feeding the squirrels - I want a pecan tree that whitetail deer will use.

What kind did you plant? If you keep any grass/weeds around the tree killed by spraying or mulching it will really help for pecan trees. My tree rows have herbicide strips about 8' sprayed on either side of the tree. So they have at least 16' of weed free soil in all directions below the tree. Fertilize every two weeks when they bud out in the spring and do that up until the end of June. That plus water, lots and lots of water and they will grow like weeds.

I got the Triple Play Collection, and looks like I need to get busy.

cc2.JPG

I got the Triple Play Collection, and looks like I need to get busy.

View attachment 1159

Kanza is a great pecan. It's becoming one of the favorites around here for consumers and growers. Half of my orchard is Kanza. I don't know much about the other two.

Let me know if you have questions. I'd be happy to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I can tell right now - all of us goin enjoy this Pecan Lesson for sure. :D

I want to know what pecans to plant for deer and when can I expect them to bear? Is pollination an issue?

You are the teacher here and many of us will be eager learners. I have 220 acres where the timber was cut.

I am not interested in feeding the squirrels - I want a pecan tree that whitetail deer will use.

As far as what pecan, I'd say any pecan is good. A buddy at work hunts in western Oklahoma. He has native pecan trees along a creek and sees deer hammering pecans there. And natives have extremely hard shells compared to any paper-shell variety. My advice would be plant 2-3 different varieties that have a reputation for doing well in your neck of the woods.

As for pollination, yes it can be an issue. Pecan trees produce male and female flowers on the same tree. They do it at different times depending on the variety. You will need 2-3 varieties that will work well at pollinating each other, especially if you plant where there are no native pecan trees. They will self pollinate at times, but it is generally a odd shaped, sub-par pecan. Any place you purchase from will be able to set you up with varieties that would pollinate properly.

Most paper-shells will shuck-split in October but can be later in November. Again, just depends on the variety. They will start dropping from wind and wildlife a few weeks after the shuck splits.

Squirrels will absolutely love you for planting pecans. I take about 50-60 a year off my place and still lose whole trees worth of pecans before I can get to them to harvest.

IMG_2358.JPG

That's one option if you are able to check them regularly. Otherwise the old .22 does good too.

Consider this. It can take close to ten years for a tree to bear a decent crop on it. And a fungus called Scab is a big issue here. Some varieties are resistant to this fungus and would be good to plant so you don't lose your crop to fungus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back