Is a "pear" a pear?

j-bird

I killed some callery pear with tordon a week ago or so......but it got me thinking.....could a person graft a traditional pear (moonglow, ayers, keiffer) to the existing root of a callery pear? I would think so, and I could see some issues with additional sprouts coming from the callery but .....is it possible....anyone out there done it? I guess I was just trying to find a use for such a pest.

My understanding is you can do that...having said that I hate them so much I am going to kill everyone that pops up...

I've successfully grafted them over to ayers pears last year and tried 4 more this year.

I wonder why I always have to protect my planted pears from browse but the deer don't seem to hit the pop-up invasive callery?

Is a pear a pear? Yes, unless it is a fake pear..........

Actually, quince can be used as a rootstock for pears, but there are incompatibility issues with some pear cultivars. They can overcome this by doing an interstem graft with a compatible pear between the quince and desired pear cultivar.

We plan on topworking 3 or 4 callery pears this weekend. I did one last weekend. This is my first attempt at doing these.

Ok cool. Well I HAD 2 callery pears, but they got a tordon bath! I was just thinking that if I find more maybe I try to turn a negative into a positive. I know you can do it with crab apples and regular apples, just wasn't sure about pears.

Are pears any more difficult to graft then apples? I assume it's the same processes and techniques.

I've read of people doing this on other fruit growing forums.
I'm attempting to convert some of my native Osage Orange into different trees such as Che.

I just figured if I can top work a callary pear into something useful why not.....and if it dies....big deal....it's a callary pear! If I killed one of my apple trees - I'd be a lot more upset. Calculated risk sort of thing.....and I don't have any pears so maybe kill a couple of birds with one stone some time.

It's fruit tree that can be grafted onto an Osage Orange (hedge). I have lots of hedge, wouldn't mind if I could convert them into something I could eat from. I have 3 of them planted right now. I plan on using scions from them when they get bigger to start my conversions.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/che/

I just grafted 6 more of these wild Types over the last week. I'm hoping they do as good as my ayers it was around 1.5 in diameter wild pear and its 10ft tall after one growing season. May take 10 years to make pears but beats a wild useless pear.

It's fruit tree that can be grafted onto an Osage Orange (hedge). I have lots of hedge, wouldn't mind if I could convert them into something I could eat from. I have 3 of them planted right now. I plan on using scions from them when they get bigger to start my conversions.

http://www.eattheweeds.com/che/
Well - I learned something today. Can't say I had heard of it before your post.....good luck with them.

Im sure you will find more callery pears in the future jbird. Ive got a couple that i plan to graft next weekend. But most of them arent where i want them and they get squirted.

Back