jawbone age

readonly

I shot this buck the other day...interested to hear thoughts on the age of this deer considering both the jawbone and trailcam pics.

If i were strictly going by the game cam pics I would say 4.5 but the tooth wear is not exorbitant (possibly 3.5). Aging by jawbone is not an exact science though. Tooth wear is a combination of age and diet so an old deer with a lot of hard mast in their diet would show extreme wear. Same age deer with a lot of forbes and soft mast in their diet would be exceptionally less. My guess based on pics is 4.5 on this deer.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hardly any tooth-wear. Not that the teeth lie on this one, but as pinetag said a lot has to do with diet. What state did you kill deer in?

This deer was killed in foothills of Virginia. Last year's buck was bigger, and jawbone also showed light wear, but not this light:

pictures suggest 4.5.

jawbone at least 2.5.

tooth wear is probably dictated more by the soil than the age of the deer. People in Michigan, sand and gravel, would look at a jaw bone from a 6.5 year old buck from Iowa, silt, and call it 2.5-3.5.

G

We had a couple does checked by the MDOC last weekend. They were checking for CWD but also asked if they could pull a tooth for ageing purposes. I mentioned that jawbone ageing can be a bit subjective. The gal pulling the tooth mentioned that the teeth (or maybe just the front tooth that was pulled) have rings similar to a tree that gives them a much better idea of the age. Moments after pulling the teeth they were able to say that one doe was 1.5 year old and that the other was 2.5 or older. This is the first I've heard of such. It may be worth looking into for more accurately ageing a deer on the ground.

We had a couple does checked by the MDOC last weekend. They were checking for CWD but also asked if they could pull a tooth for ageing purposes. I mentioned that jawbone ageing can be a bit subjective. The gal pulling the tooth mentioned that the teeth (or maybe just the front tooth that was pulled) have rings similar to a tree that gives them a much better idea of the age. Moments after pulling the teeth they were able to say that one doe was 1.5 year old and that the other was 2.5 or older. This is the first I've heard of such. It may be worth looking into for more accurately ageing a deer on the ground.
I don't know if it is still around, but several years ago, there was a company that would age your deer this way. The cost of the packet included shipping and aging.

I don't know if it is still around, but several years ago, there was a company that would age your deer this way. The cost of the packet included shipping and aging.
You are correct. I did a quick Google search and found a couple companies that do that. They do a cross section of the incisor tooth. I believe the cost was $25.00

My taxidermist that lives in PA. Pulled the front tooth out of my buck I killed to get it aged. I am not positive but I think he has this done for free at a college if I remember right.

I just sent this year's buck's incisor teeth to DeerAge. Total cost with all shipping from my zip code is $31.95, and I'll have the results back by mid March.
However, I was talking to a taxidermist yesterday and he said that Matson Lab is where all the aging is actually done. He said all the other "labs" are sending their samples to Matson for the process. I don't know if he was correct or not. The Matson web site is a little confusing but it looks like they charge twice what DeerAge charges... $65 at Matson. Am I missing something?
FWIW...I've sent 4 sets of teeth to DeerAge over the years and each has come back to be estimated at 4.5 years old. I would have estimated 3.5 by tooth wear. There was less wear than what the books say there should be at 4.5.

I also agree the jawbone looks 2.5 and the trail cam pics look 4.5+. The second jawbone definitely shows more wear, looks 3.5 to 4.5 according to my understanding of how to age by jawbone.

So.....that what then do you think is the actual age of the deer, seeing that those two factors conflict?
HAHA. I guess i'd have to say 3.5. A really well developed 3.5 year old. I dont know anything about the land around where he hunts so I know that a deer with a build like that would be at least 4.5.

HAHA. I guess i'd have to say 3.5. A really well developed 3.5 year old. I dont know anything about the land around where he hunts so I know that a deer with a build like that would be at least 4.5.
I'm not looking for fight,but in my area we have taken bucks that good that were 2.5. It's all about genetics and food. We have also taken 3.5 cow horns the weighed 160 lbs field dressed. Sometimes the doe and the buck are a super good match.

Back