Left over apple rootstock tops.

Neahawg

This year we decided to take the tops of our rootstocks after grafting and shove them in the ground to see if they would root. We didn't get I high success rate but looks like we have about 5 total doing well. To me that not bad to get a few freebies with little effort invested.

aa2e8ac289d91860531553d73f95a123.jpg
280b9554eb78b0e288bd4be323dee621.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

This year we decided to take the tops of our rootstocks after grafting and shove them in the ground to see if they would root. We didn't get I high success rate but looks like we have about 5 total doing well. To me that not bad to get a few freebies with little effort invested.

aa2e8ac289d91860531553d73f95a123.jpg
280b9554eb78b0e288bd4be323dee621.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
5 out of whatever are better odds than i would have given you. Thats pretty cool.

I've kept them damp all year so far by pouring a little water on them each day. I think if I would have cut them all back to just a few inches above the ground we may have got a few more takes. Either was I'm happy with the ones that are growing.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

Wonder if they'd root in water?
Be worth a try. Seems like I read somewhere to put in a few willow branches in when you try and root things in water also. Something in the willow branches help them make roots.

That's awesome. I've tried apple and pear cuttings before with no luck. Can't beat free.

Excellent. This was five out of how many put into the ground? And what are the particulars--ie length of cutting, in ground depth etc?

I think 40 anatovonka. However some we just put in the ground as is some were cut back to a shorter length. Couldn't give an exact length as I didn't measure but at least a few inches above and below soil.

The ones that were cut back have done well, however many are still green they just don't look as good as these five. I also did have a 6th that accidentally got taken out by a weed eater. :(

Also I believe Merle tried 10 b118 with little success. I've seen on another board where a guy has had the best luck with m111.

I put mine in two different locations and the spot with morning sun and afternoon shade did better than my spot with full sun.

Overall though even with a low success rate it only takes a few minutes to shove them in the ground very little input involved.

Excellent. This was five out of how many put into the ground? And what are the particulars--ie length of cutting, in ground depth etc?
About 50 I think. They were fairly long, I cut the tops off within a few inches of where the roots started, then shoved them as far as I could, about a foot, in the ground.
I have 2 growing that I cut back to a foot or so above ground and 2 that I left full length. I have a few others with small leaves, but no active growth.
Chuck has 1 growing well and 2 so so.
I just saw he answered this lol.

Back