Left over roots in plot help.

All.

I’ve dragged my new plot with a fence drag that was just cleared by an excavator. There are small roots sticking up in a lot of places. What’s the best course to get rid of them. Hand cut all of them? Can I just let them rot away? Tired of cutting already.

All.

I’ve dragged my new plot with a fence drag that was just cleared by an excavator. There are small roots sticking up in a lot of places. What’s the best course to get rid of them. Hand cut all of them? Can I just let them rot away? Tired of cutting already.
Wait a year and hit them with a brush hog. I wouldn't worry about them any further. I just got done with an expansion and I've got the same thing. I walked the plot to make sure there were no mower-wreckers (logs) sticking up. The rest will get whacked off next summer.

Left some bur oaks in there. This is getting set to a big time perennial legume/rye plot with some soybeans and other goodies in there for the fall. Next spring coming up will be rye, alfalfa, birdsfoot trefoil, hairy vetch, 5 clovers (ladino + others), chicory, flax, and may sneak some barley in if the rye didn't hit all the spots.

sticks.jpg

probably depends on size lot of small ones like even up to quarter size diameter i'm letting the disc chew them up over next year or two. Anything bigger than that i'm trying to pull it up with even forks on tractor or if its really big chaining it up and ripping it out

Back