Live from the stand 2021

Afternoon sit is underway. These cell cams let us hunters know just how comical we look to deer sometimes. Me and my buddy are up eating lunch at the cottage and less than 100 yards away a deer (possible antlers visible) rolls through at 1:37 right in front of the stand he was sitting. You just gotta laugh.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Had this old pit bull within 45 yards. Massive body and great mass but only 7 points.

AFUImaj.jpg
Would have been the biggest deer if my life.

Sent from my SM-S515DL using Tapatalk

Activity is picking up in our area. Son had 4 different bucks go by last night. Its only going to get better.

Wow, how was it that light there 50 minutes ago which would have been before 6:30 am?

Didn’t see a thing but the temps were awesome for this time of year. My little throw and mow patch is trying to green up too. Now just need more time to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am bowhunting and in a stand at the very back of our property about 100 yards from the fence that is also the same stand I took my first buck on this property from. I was going to sit another stand about 100 yards further into our place but it looked like squirrels had chewed the strap in half holding the ladder stand in place. Absolutely calm wind and 49 degrees. Very quiet!
616ce868cf71be898f235cd7c61222a3.jpg

Seen 3 bucks this morn including the 10 I wanted. Shot an 8 this afternoon working 2 scrapes I made hour earlier.
Post some pics tomorrow I need to ck for light leaks in my eyelids. Been Hard work for an old mountain man!

Didn’t plan on hunting tonight, but thanks to rain yesterday beans were too wet to cut and it was too wet to plant wheat. Got all trucks hauled to mill an maintenance done had hour an half of daylight so jumped in stand quick. Picked a spot where I could slip in quiet with wind in my face, after sitting maybe 20 minutes I looked up and this old warhorse we been after stood up out of his bed 40 yds away! Shows the importance of ingress egress to stand sites.

Attachments

• 1CF94192-00E9-40D2-945F-E6F0BD63DF23.jpeg
    1CF94192-00E9-40D2-945F-E6F0BD63DF23.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 2
Didn’t plan on hunting tonight, but thanks to rain yesterday beans were too wet to cut and it was too wet to plant wheat. Got all trucks hauled to mill an maintenance done had hour an half of daylight so jumped in stand quick. Picked a spot where I could slip in quiet with wind in my face, after sitting maybe 20 minutes I looked up and this old warhorse we been after stood up out of his bed 40 yds away! Shows the importance of ingress egress to stand sites.
Can’t see a photo...

Well this will be a long diatribe for a mediocre deer. I haven’t hunted but maybe 5 times the last three seasons. As you know I lost my son from a seizure in 2019. In addition, my dad passed last December and my best friend, business partner, and hunting partner of 30 years passed then also at the age of 60 after a 3 year battle with cancer. It’s tough not having at least the option to talk about our hunts. I’ve just had no desire to work the farm , much less bother hunting.
I don’t say this for sympathy but to acknowledge for others that life does get in the way sometimes and only time can allow some type of healing. I know many of you have been or are going thru worse issues.

Any way i decided to hunt this past Wed after a snow/rain on Tues and I knew they would be moving well. Honestly I had to make my self leave that morning at 5, just had no desire to even go. But I knew it was needed. I hoped to see a 10 I’d spotted while throwing some wheat seed out one day. Headed to back ridge where I had located a heavy rub line. A cold North wind kind of day. Indeed I saw the 10 midmorning but he had broke a tine and I chose to see if he would make another year. Another couple shooters came by that I let pass.

That after noon went to the Nosebleed stand on the back ridge which sits on an oak flat bordered by very steep drops. I make two mock scrapes with my pee and climbed into the stand. NW wind was perfect for this stand. About an hour in to the sit, at 3:30, I hit the doe bleat and within minutes came 5 does. To the back of them was this 8 and I decided to take him regardless of size. He was looking to get some Tush with only that on his mind. As you know, its the mamma Does that you truly have to trick. With swirling winds they got nervous few times but settled munching on acorns. The buck worked the one scrape, then came down to the other 20 yds out. I had goofed in that I didn’t see a tree that would block his boiler when he worked the scrape. As he finished, he turned and I had a hard qrt away shot. I held behind the back rib and releasing, the Rage found its mark.

Although I heard him crash 50 yds away I waited 30 minutes worried it was only a liver hit and may take some time. No blood trail with no pass thru shot and this why I always take a bearing on last spot seen. Sure enough there he lay. As if in celebration two ear piercing F16s flew by scraping the treetops.
I sat feeling the heat escape his body reminiscing for a few minutes. I can’t remember what my wife wants from the store but I can remember every deer I’ve taken and where and who I was with. And have had some great hunts with some of the best guys in the world.

I am a lucky man.

I climbed to a ridge behind and above the one you see. Great stand w awesome views.
a5811c25406c62fb513615fbfb826d65.jpg

Leaves just refuse to fall this year.
9072e5239b7097ad8cd7b352695c8afc.jpg

My dominant self pee man made scrape from whence he was taken.
bdfb9d725767a8a2997ee128eadee649.jpg

d7b1df0645f924b845b2faa78a1086c6.jpg

9c7410145f38862a3677fe80024bbd12.jpg

b4e79b2cdf32bc5df7291a479ecb77c7.jpg

Great job dogghr, and glad to see you out in the woods where you belong. I’m sure that all those special people you mentioned who have passed on are looking down with approval. Thanks for sharing an inspiring hunt.

Nice dogghr!! Good and touching read too, thanks for sharing. Good job on getting back in the woods!

Great read and great job on the deer dogghr. I almost felt like I was there...nothing recharges the soul like tree stand time...

Back