Live from the Stand 2022

Sitting here on the Hollow in the best rut zone we have. Over the years countless bucks have used this area and I can’t even remember how many chases and follows I have seen in here. This area used to be literally torn up with deer sign, rubs, and scrapes but this year there are none. Day in and day out cellular trail cameras show zero movement of deer. This is my 3rd sit on our property and first sit in this stand…what neighbors do matters!
20ddc9ff516ad37bf8f2b1c4e660f0f1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Single worst morning I have ever had on our place. I sat for awhile until I heard the first rifle shot on our north side where the neighbor leased his 230 acres out. As soon as I get near the fence I see the first blind they set up this past week…30 yards and in the best crossing we have…I then begin checking fence along our west, north, and east lines and find more stands.
294ee7641d8809a0305acfcd1702f295.jpg

I keep walking and notice some trails headed into a really overgrown area I had dozed out about 2 years ago and just let go back to nature and I found the wounded buck or what was left of him.
2b38d77267cf3fe4cc061f8e69c9dd28.jpg

c0e324dfa3705b46f2935f5e6a4eb2c3.jpg

The entire area stank of dog and explains why. Have had a parade of dogs daily coming into the property.
abebfc8dccf6bc0e47ef18d5285396c6.jpg

6fc9520f01b4edaaa859365c69cf38ff.jpg

As I was standing there looking at him I heard the 2nd rifle shot off our NE corner…rifle seasons begins in 8 days…I guess I am going to go get my dozer today and start clearing for cattle…

Last edited:
Single worst morning I have ever had on our place. I sat for awhile until I heard the first rifle shot on our north side where the neighbor leased his 230 acres out. As soon as I get near the fence I see the first blind they set up this past week…30 yards and in the best crossing we have…I then begin checking fence along our west, north, and east lines and find more stands.

I keep walking and notice some trails headed into a really overgrown area I had dozed out about 2 years ago and just let go back to nature and I found the wounded buck or what was left of him.

The entire area stank of dog and explains why. Have had a parade of dogs daily coming into the property.

As I was standing there looking at him I heard the 2nd rifle shot off our NE corner…rifle seasons begins in 8 days…I guess I am going to go get my dozer today and start clearing for cattle…

That's awful. Best wishes on whatever you decide to do.

I am pretty well done...I guess I will just keep leasing a place to hunt for deer as long as I can and turn this place into a cattle operation. My first cleanup area is along that fence...

That’s got to be a hard decision as much as you like to hunt. Can you afford to out bid the leaser on the 230 acres? That seems to be a more permanent solution to the problem. Just my way of thinking though.

Crap. And you are right. Neighbors make all the difference. And it’s usually not the owners but people they let hunt speaking from experience. Good luck with whatever.

That’s got to be a hard decision as much as you like to hunt. Can you afford to out bid the leaser on the 230 acres? That seems to be a more permanent solution to the problem. Just my way of thinking though.
I could afford to and already should have but I didn’t. It’s a tough deal because I haven’t spoken to that landowner since about 2016... I was gonna have to use part of it for cattle anyway so it is what it is for now...

Crap. And you are right. Neighbors make all the difference. And it’s usually not the owners but people they let hunt speaking from experience. Good luck with whatever.

You speak the truth. People with no “skin” in the game take advantage. As a landowner myself I would never set up on the fence...now before anyone gets all sideways you have to remember my property and all the properties around are solid woods so it’s not the same as only having a few trees along the property line in AG country.

It’s like Public Hunting with absolutely no game wardens...

It's like public hunting with dogs. I think that it is still too early to throw in the towel, don't pass, double down.

Back in Iowa, gun season kicked off in the hood about a week early for some criminals. Here in Kentucky, I have yet to witness the same phenomenon. As far as dogs go, I am down to just an occasional lost hunting dog coming through.

Remember Teddy Berger ran his professional poachers on my ground, 3 stands immediately placed on my fence row. I had to split big bucks with them, I figured, about a 1:1 ratio for 8 years but it didn't ruin me.

Fence sitters are lazy slobs looking to steal from someone else's hard work.

Good luck

G

We had a neighboring outfitter put a tree stand in the fence line once. Talking to the landowner didn’t fix it. Fixing fence for 30 minutes a day immediately below the tree stand with a guy paying $5,000 a week to watch you do it did fix it. I wore out a post driver on one single t post….

It’s nice and crisp here this morning and it was windy, cloudy, and intermittent rain all day yesterday. There should be some traffic here today. The woods are full of acorns though so that’s probably gonna slow things down in this food plot. At least I’m hunting !797707A9-209C-4358-8ECF-D7714DF76006.jpeg

Just saw a doe and youngun cross my road, but no shot. We don’t kill does here much but I think I will this year given a chance. I’m low on venison !

I think a buck was following her but I didn’t see one.

Last edited:
Nosebleed stand again. Cluster getting here w detoured by wreck. Rain and wind all day yesterday. Warm , snow tonight. NW wind. East west ridge w 2 man made scrapes near.
Bucks should b moving. Bow kill last year of nice buck from said scrape. Maybe his son today ??

Sitting the middle of our property today. Didn’t see anything this morning, see what happens this evening. Blind on neighboring property 30 yards with main window directly facing our property aggravated me so bad I bought a new ground blind to put facing theirs…it’s all stupid because they have plenty of interior as do I…

Fellow hunter on our lease killed this buck this morning. Monday and Tuesday I had 5 different opportunities at him but decided he needed 2 more years…
720892c2e82758f7c5cd832c4c9acd22.jpeg

Back