Live from the stand - 2023

I would like to say that I'm retired but as I have said before, I'm still looking for my first job out of University. I will be of age to collect social security in 49 days but will probably have to postpone that with my new gig in the woods, for tax purposes. It seems that you won't have trouble finding something to occupy your time, body, and mind.

G
Yes, always something. I hadn’t mentioned it yet, but a criminal recently busted through my in-laws basement wall with a vehicle and took off on foot. A structural engineer estimated that the vehicle had to be going 100 mph or more. We are currently dealing with that mess. Having trouble finding someone to do the work, but now have a good prospect. We should know Monday evening.

IMG_3395.jpeg

The gun that won the Vietnam war. My grenade launcher is stuck at the moment. I was told yesterday by Dustin at Lewis Pawn that he would give me $500 for my Yugo. Last evening I was ready to pack it up but this morning I'm thinking that you may never know when you might need a grenade launcher, bayonet, and 7.62 x 39. I decided that I can't do it. Native, I'm just interested in your thoughts.

DSC07769 (1200 x 800).jpg

G

The gun that won the Vietnam war. My grenade launcher is stuck at the moment. I was told yesterday by Dustin at Lewis Pawn that he would give me $500 for my Yugo. Last evening I was ready to pack it up but this morning I'm thinking that you may never know when you might need a grenade launcher, bayonet, and 7.62 x 39. I decided that I can't do it. Native, I'm just interested in your thoughts.

View attachment 26187

G
Yes sir. Don’t sell it and keep it ready for use at all times. That is a nice piece.

Yeah, retirement doesn’t pay much, but I don’t plan on taking any cash with me me when I kick out. I am gonna have way more good memories than bad though.

I’m not hunting this morning but am in my blind for a few minutes before I have to leave and take someone to a doctor appointment. Got here well after daylight and immediately saw 3 bucks feeding in a small plot 227 yards away. One was a mature 8 and the others looked to be 2 or 3 year olds. They have since left and disappeared into the nwsgs. Have only seen one doe, which is very unusual. Even this late the fog had a few low places blocked out.

Edit - just spotted the 3 bucks 200+ yards from where I first saw them. Now 285 yards from me. They are traveling together. Got a better look. I’m going to say two mature deer and one two year old.

Edit - it just hit me why I’m seeing fewer deer this morning. They are on white oaks right now. I have several but not that I can see from this vantage point. Here I see reds and swamp chestnut which drop later and regular chestnut oaks which have already dropped days ago. I do see some other oaks that might be dropping but whites blow them out of the water in terms of preference.

Last edited:
6 point eating bean waste and 2 mor antler less crossing.

IMG_3521.jpeg

Edit - right at dark several more deer eating beans but nothing interesting. We need colder weather and they say it is coming soon.

Last edited:
Yes, always something. I hadn’t mentioned it yet, but a criminal recently busted through my in-laws basement wall with a vehicle and took off on foot. A structural engineer estimated that the vehicle had to be going 100 mph or more. We are currently dealing with that mess. Having trouble finding someone to do the work, but now have a good prospect. We should know Monday evening.

View attachment 26186
How does somebody walk away from a crash like that?

How does somebody walk away from a crash like that?
I don’t know. Lots of people have asked that question.

PS - we have someone to do the work. They will do some bracing and temporary work to get it through the winter and replace the wall next spring.

Last edited:
Finally able to get out for Archery season here in Upstate NY. Not much action but did see 3 bucks and 2 does last night. No chasing yet, the bucks didn’t even pay any attention to the does. Bucks still in groups. Had one little guy blocking my path back to the house last night.

Attachments

• IMG_3743.jpeg
    IMG_3743.jpeg
    108 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_3758.jpeg
    IMG_3758.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 16
Fun hunt here so far this afternoon. Already seen turkeys, coons, and 4-5 bucks chasing a doe. One of the bucks was torn up from fighting - broken main beam, scars on neck and body, and limping on his front, right leg.

To my west - deer eating sawtooths

To my south - 8 point 2 year old in lane grazing

To my north - wide 8 point probably 3 but
maybe 4 on acorns at woods edge

Occasional deer at other various spots.

Eastern front is clear.

Back