Natural Hingecut Bedding

ALwoodsman

Around seven years ago a nice water oak blew over into our field during a storm. We talked about cutting it but after several months it was still alive so I decided to see what would happen. As it got close to fall I was riding by on the tractor and as I looked over at the tree I noticed several does bedded in it. Later that year during deer season I jumped up 2 small bucks bedded there. Several years passed and I hadn't noticed any more deer beds so last year after reading Jim Brauker's hinge cutting book I decided to go under the tree and clean it out. I cut out any low limbs and cleared any debris on the ground. I had forgot about it until yesterday when I was hanging a couple of stands nearby. I crawled in under the limbs and found 6 well used beds.
Now my problem is that I walk right by this spot on the way to some of my stands. I guess I will find a way to detour around it.

IMG_1875.JPGIMG_1874.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is great! I have an Elm tree that did something similar but the deer don't bed there because it fell from the woodline into the field and I guess they feel it is too open there. They do bed the woodlot right behind it though...

That is great! I have an Elm tree that did something similar but the deer don't bed there because it fell from the woodline into the field and I guess they feel it is too open there. They do bed the woodlot right behind it though...

This one fell into the field also. I guess the tall grass is enough to make them feel safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow I was about to cut up an old tree that just came down on edge of my field laying just like this one. I've noticed how the deer don't like feeding under it, but I'm thinking about doing your thing and see what happens. Cool.

Back