Need help on what mower to get for my situation

Yukonhunter

I put in a few 1000 Christmas trees, I also have a lawn to cut and have to cut around my crops and fruit trees...it's mainly flat with a few rut bumps here and there. I was thinking maybe a commercial zero turn mower but not sure on what brand. Any suggestions

Toro and Xmark come out of the same plant, for the most part, and are good mowers. Ferris is also a good mower. Not sure where you are located, not all brands are everywhere. Those mowers are popular here.

I'm also interested in a commercial mower but haven't had time to do much checking around. I want something that will mow 6 inches high so I can use it occasionally in a food plot. So far haven't found anything that mows that high.

Steer clear from Koehler efi motors boys.. just had one replaced under warranty with low hours. They have lifter issues. Their less than impressive when you put a load on them as well.
I have had good luck with kaw fx motors.
I'd skip on scag mowers as well. Pain to pull the blades off for sharpening because the bolt runs all the way through the spindle with a nut on top. I don't know why they do that. No one else is...
If I was gonna buy a new zero turn today it prolly be a 61" kabota or ferris.
Currently running a 61" toro 3000 with my landscape biz. It does an ok job. Just kinda sour about the Koehler motor issue

Like with tractors, buy from a dealer with good service. I use a diesel kubota zero turn with no complaints. Can't remember the exact model, but its commercial grade and was bought used.

I have ridden quite a few brands and bought a Hustler. If you go that route, either get one of the FasTrak's(they have a "residential" and a commercial, both great) or buy the XOne commercial mower. All are exceptional mowers and will do everything you want. Best ride and steering I have used. If you have to mow under the trees or fences, get a Grasshopper with the deck out front, but they are expensive if you go that route(they start at $10,000). If not, a mid mount mower will do. I also like Gravely Mowers. They have been around for a long time and make a great product. Make sure it is a welded deck and not a stamped. The Hustler I had would run at 9mph. Everyone said it wouldn't cut at that speed or not cut good, it did it every time. I usually cut at around 6-7mph because of comfort and control, but if it was a bump free or semi bump free yard, I could roll at 9mph and keep my lines straight. Their Super Z will drive and mow at 14mph:cool:. Buy an extra set of blades right off and you can change them out when dull and resharpen them at your convenience instead of wasting an hour or more removing, sharpening and reinstalling one set. Don't get "fancy" blades, just get another set of what comes on it as they do everything you need. I would change my blades in the spring before I started mowing(I started mowing in mid march) and about mid/late July I would change blades again and that would get me until about mid October when I put the mower up from cutting leaves. No matter what the manual says about the hours for oil and filter changes, I changed both every spring before I started. Get the biggest mower you can use and that will fit on your trailer. I cut with a 52" deck, but would have loved a 60". Its just that the 60" wouldn't fit through a man gate in a fenced back yard. Big Dog is a good brand also, but its owned by Hustler and is basically a Hustler mower with a few less bells and whistles. I do like the LED head lights that come factory installed. Hope some of this helps.

I've had a lot of brands, I stick to the deere commercial zero turns now. Ordering a new z960m on tweels this week for my farm, 60". Currently have a z950a and it does everything you could ask of it. Worse one I ever owned was cub cadet.

I have a commercial Walker 61", but it really isn't that great. It is very fast and will cut at around 12 MPH but my ground is rough enough that you can't go that fast without getting bucked out of the seat. My next mower will probably be a Grasshopper. Supposedly they ride decent and I like the power fold deck for easy maintenance. Cool attachments too.

If your looking for the best, get yourself a Ferris.

I would stay away from any of the zero turns that aren't commercial grade. Kubota, and Cub Cadet would be my next picks. My dad has a mowing business and I get to fix what he breaks.

Steer clear from Koehler efi motors boys.. just had one replaced under warranty with low hours. They have lifter issues. Their less than impressive when you put a load on them as well.
I have had good luck with kaw fx motors.
I'd skip on scag mowers as well. Pain to pull the blades off for sharpening because the bolt runs all the way through the spindle with a nut on top. I don't know why they do that. No one else is...
If I was gonna buy a new zero turn today it prolly be a 61" kabota or ferris.
Currently running a 61" toro 3000 with my landscape biz. It does an ok job. Just kinda sour about the Koehler motor issue
My older 60" Snapper also has the bolt that runs all the way through the spindle. Not overly impressed with snapper. My advice is get the brand that there's good service and parts available, and the dealer isn't twenty miles away, guaranteed something will need fixed, and if you're buying new, getting good warranty service is key. A good dealer is just as important as the brand.

Lots of Hustlers around here as we have a good dealer locally. Very few people complain about them.
Lot of Hustlers here too.
The only trouble my Hustler had was me running over things or cutting to close to something and popping the rear tires. I replaced both rear tires last year. There was some construction going on at a business I mowed and one of the little marker flags had been pulled up or knocked out during work, it ended up in my sidewall with a rip. The other tire well, lets just say STUPID ELECTION SIGNS. The t-post wasn't driven in the ground far enough and I caught the blade at the base and ripped that side wall. The place I deal with didn't keep my tire size in stock because it was the machine that Hustler used a different tire size on and they had to be ordered. They would let me use one of their demo mowers at no charge to me, while I waited for the parts..... I think it was a selling ploy to get me to buy another mower.

Lot of Hustlers here too.
The only trouble my Hustler had was me running over things or cutting to close to something and popping the rear tires. I replaced both rear tires last year. There was some construction going on at a business I mowed and one of the little marker flags had been pulled up or knocked out during work, it ended up in my sidewall with a rip. The other tire well, lets just say STUPID ELECTION SIGNS. The t-post wasn't driven in the ground far enough and I caught the blade at the base and ripped that side wall. The place I deal with didn't keep my tire size in stock because it was the machine that Hustler used a different tire size on and they had to be ordered. They would let me use one of their demo mowers at no charge to me, while I waited for the parts..... I think it was a selling ploy to get me to buy another mower.
Dang that's a rough season! I run those lil flags over occasionally. Never had one penetrate my tire! My roughest season involved me breaking the same sliding glass door twice:(

Dang that's a rough season! I run those lil flags over occasionally. Never had one penetrate my tire! My roughest season involved me breaking the same sliding glass door twice:(
Glass doors are expensive!! I was complaining about a rear tire that cost $90 each before tax. I broke my neighbors bedroom window with a landscape spike and drove it in her wall once(didn't even know it). Instead of her knocking on my door and telling me so I could fix it, she called the police and filed a report and then I had a certain number of days to repair it before charges were filed against me. What's up with that?

Back to the scheduled post question.....

Last edited:
Glass doors are expensive!! I was complaining about a rear tire that cost $90 each before tax. I broke my neighbors bedroom window with a landscape spike and drove it in her wall once(didn't even know it). Instead of her knocking on my door and telling me so I could fix it, she called the police and filed a report and the. I had a certain. Umber of says to repair it before charges were filed against me. What's up with that?

Back to the scheduled post question.....
Daggum!!!!
These commercial mowers can def be dangerous. I ask my customers to stay inside while mowing. I don't know what it is but for the longest time they constantly came out an tinkered in the yard while I would mow. Not sure why. Maybe they are intrigued by the zmower?!
I once sent a pin off the deck roller sailing through the air Which then impaled into the side of a house! It would have killed someone had it hit them in the right spot! Sounds similiar to your situation! I now make it a point to explain to them that if I hit simthing it can be a deadly projectile!

Daggum!!!!
These commercial mowers can def be dangerous.
The problem is, it's not your yard the majority of the time and you have no clue what is laying in the grass. I always walked the yard and picked up visible stuff and grabbed things that I saw while mowing, but some things are good at hiding. I told every customer that I am not responsible for anything that gets chewed up and spit out by the mower, that is in the yard. I would tell them if they liked it, they needed to pick it up to keep it. I mowed the yards on the same day every week unless it rained. Most of the time it is kids toys or dog toys. One of those dog ropes with knots on both ends is the worst. That warrants blade removal to get it all out.

You guys should try commercial brush hogging... I do this and get lots of jobs very, very near homes...sometimes I am hired because the yard grass got too tall to mow...People seem to love to watch equipment work so they tend to come out to see but I always recommend they stay indoors or on the other side of the house. I have yet to damage anyones property by flinging something out of the rotary cutter but I have run over some stuff that got damaged...I try to catch as much stuff as I can, walk it out, ride with the loader bucket low to avoid nasty surprises but sometimes get stuff...usually kids foot balls and such...

Always ask where the septic tank is...lol

Love my ferris. If you're looking for a good zero turn, check them out. Plus, I don't know if I'll ever own another without suspension. I always thought my ferris rode nice. I didn't realize how nice till I mowed with a buddy's scag... felt it in my back after not long. I guess I got spoiled.

Back