New broadheads

Well, I just got in from doing a little testing at a nice 28*F. After some verification, I think I have the original Rage 2-blade not the hyperdermic.

Test (not perfectly scientific): shot one arrow into my Glendel Full Rut buck with brand new broadheads, at the back 1/4 of the block (not many previous arrows have hit there). Obviously, if I wanted a full scientific result I should shoot a fresh target each time. I don't have that luxury. I shot from 20 yards with four arrows with my:

Bow: Mathews Icon set at 70lbs.
Arrow: Carbon Express Maxima Hunter 350
Broadheads:

49c69bae16dbd9b43a2ea28c91be14cc.jpg

Rage 2-blade
Muzzy MX-4 100 grain
Muzzy 3-blade 125 grain
Cutthroat Right Bevel 150

Distance: 20 yards

Results (blaze orange tape represents depth of arrow in target):

a35f02ec10631a6ab303b0931ef13a02.jpg

Analysis: obviously the heaviest arrow had the deepest penetration (which is what everyone's hypothesis would have been) which was the Cutthroat. The very interesting thing about this test is the results of the Muzzy MX-4 100 grain vs. Muzzy 3-blade, they nearly tied with the advantage going to the heavier 3-blade with roughly a 1/4" deeper advantage. Now, the difference between the MX-4 and Rage was significant, as the MX-4 seemed to penetrate significantly more than it's equal weight partner. This must be the difference between cut width or something.

Now the cutthroats flew very well left and right. Obviously since they weigh a little more than my 100 grain Rages I was shooting and setup for, the drop at longer ranges was noticeable with the heavier head. Here is my 50 yard shot, aiming normally.

0a83433cf51e7eedb1c3f75466d7ee4f.jpg

This test was very fun and I think I would like to try out the Carbon Express Nativ 100 and XT, both vs the same group.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanted to update this quickly. I noticed I did not fairly show the depth of the penetration on the arrows. I now realize instead of lining up the actual arrow, I should have lined up the broadheads tips on the same plane. If you look at the Muzzy 125 vs MX-4 100 you can see the 125 actually penetrated further because the broadheads tip is much longer than the MX-4:

3d2d9ce8d4a84d8807b157fdb05c4970.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It would be interesting to see the difference if you added weight to lighter tips so they all weight the same and have the same foc. My guess is that the muzzy blade would be very close.

With a two blade point the arrow rotates as it passes through the deer. With three and four blade points the rotation stops. I wasn't getting a pass through until I switched to a two fixed blade point. Here is a clip with Uncle Ted about removing the bleeder blade for better penetration, and filing a chisel point that's less likely to bend. Not single bevel, but a big improvement on multiple blade points.

Back