New hunter

infraredice

I havn't hunted in almost ten years and i was a kid back then. I want to prepare for the season, and i was wondering if anyone had any tips they could throw me. Ive got a feeder but its a cheap hanging feeder i was using for hogs thats probably only 5 gallons. And i still need to learn how to skin and prep and all those things. Ill be hunting with .308

First, I don't know where you are located, but I'd get rid of the feeder. Next, I'd contact your state wildlife agency. I'm a Hunter Education instructor in Virginia. In the last 10 years, our state has transitioned from all in-person classes to permitting on-line training only. In person classes are still available, but there is much less demand for them.

Our DWR and switched gears a bit. We are now focusing more on workshops that help new hunters transition into hunting. Opportunities range from lottery guided hunts, to field and range demonstrations, to classroom workshops. I recently established a curriculum for our Turkey Hunting Workshop. We've had some of the best turkey hunters in the east teach at the workshop. I know we also have hands-on field dressing and butchering workshops offered here.

I would guess that many states are going through a similar transition. I'd contact your state wildlife agency and see what they offer.

You can probably get all the info you need to skin and prep a deer from YouTube videos. I know Growing Deer TV put one out and I’m sure there are more. As far as methods of hunting deer, that’s gonna be fairly specific to your land and your geography. There are lots of “how to” articles in various hunting magazines and I’m sure online also.

Welcome to the forum !

You can probably get all the info you need to skin and prep a deer from YouTube videos. I know Growing Deer TV put one out and I’m sure there are more. As far as methods of hunting deer, that’s gonna be fairly specific to your land and your geography. There are lots of “how to” articles in various hunting magazines and I’m sure online also.

Welcome to the forum !
Thanks for the welcoming! Im hunting on private property in Texas. Im just nervous about ruining the meet after the kill before i get back. I am fully confident in my shooting skills, its the process of getting something to show up and then getting it prepped im worried about. Im also young so i dont have tons of money to throw at expensive feeders and such. Thanks for the advice, i will be watching some videos and how tos for sure.

First, I don't know where you are located, but I'd get rid of the feeder. Next, I'd contact your state wildlife agency. I'm a Hunter Education instructor in Virginia. In the last 10 years, our state has transitioned from all in-person classes to permitting on-line training only. In person classes are still available, but there is much less demand for them.

Our DWR and switched gears a bit. We are now focusing more on workshops that help new hunters transition into hunting. Opportunities range from lottery guided hunts, to field and range demonstrations, to classroom workshops. I recently established a curriculum for our Turkey Hunting Workshop. We've had some of the best turkey hunters in the east teach at the workshop. I know we also have hands-on field dressing and butchering workshops offered here.

I would guess that many states are going through a similar transition. I'd contact your state wildlife agency and see what they offer.
Why should i get rid of the feeder? I still use it for hog. I know i should upgrade it for deer but

Why should i get rid of the feeder? I still use it for hog. I know i should upgrade it for deer but
In many states, but certainly not all, baiting is illegal. Many consider it unethical, but that is a personal decision you will need to make. Next, concentrated food sources cause more face to face contact than deer naturally have and some diseases can have increased transmission.

In general, especially when you are starting out, you will have many things to focus on. A feeder is not going to improve your chances of success. They tend to work against the learning process. New hunters, often think...I'll put out a feeder...deer will come their...I'll shoot it. The should be more focused on learning the habits of deer and observing their natural behavior. Learning how deer relate to the environment and habitat is part of the fun of deer hunting.

It is just my opinion, but a new hunter will become a better hunter focusing on how deer relate to the environment they are in. If you are interested in hunting deer over a food source, a small food plot would be a better option. It is available to deer 24/7. Deer will distribute naturally throughout the food plot. Food plotting also connects you to the habitat. It can be a form of habitat improvement for deer.

I'm not saying there are no cases where supplemental feeding may be useful, but they are the exception, not the rule.

Hog killing is a whole different game. With hog hunting, we are trying to limit the damage of nuisance animals. In most cases they are domestic animals that have gone feral and become invasive species. Folks use traps and kill them at night with thermal optics.

I do both. I usually have a feeder at the end or side of my food plots. There is no doubt that the food plot is the biggest draw because I only throw 5/6 seconds both morning and evening. I pen my feeders with 8 hog panels where the hogs don’t homestead. They still come around, and I still shoot them, but they don’t hang around and run off the deer. I feed from September until February, when there is the least browse available. I also feed protein from about January to June, that helps with antler growth and lactation. I wasn’t always able to do these things, so I feel your pain. Do the best you can and good luck !

BTW, I’m in East Texas, what part of the state are you from ?

I do both. I usually have a feeder at the end or side of my food plots. There is no doubt that the food plot is the biggest draw because I only throw 5/6 seconds both morning and evening. I pen my feeders with 8 hog panels where the hogs don’t homestead. They still come around, and I still shoot them, but they don’t hang around and run off the deer. I feed from September until February, when there is the least browse available. I also feed protein from about January to June, that helps with antler growth and lactation. I wasn’t always able to do these things, so I feel your pain. Do the best you can and good luck !

BTW, I’m in East Texas, what part of the state are you from ?
Im in central, thanks im gonna write that all down. Trying to learn all i can!

Back