Ohio Farm Tours

Back to your deer numbers...do you guys have crop damage permits? I think those permits affect our numbers as much or more than any hunting season. BTW I think your population increase numbers would be very conservative for here. Your DNR were at our hunting show begging to hunt Ohio. Deer and turkey everywhere they say.

That's the kind of stuff that ticks me off! Haha all they care about is selling license... I've heard ODNR representatives telling out of staters that it was nothing to kill a 150 class deer in Ohio! Which is BS! Haha Those people don't even touch the woods they just tally up the results and look at surveys haha

I agree crop damage permits are killer! And extremely wasteful in Ohio... can wipe out a ton of deer! It's not broadcasted a lot by people but I do know of a couple areas in Ohio that it was being done and had the opportunity to be apart of it but I thought it was wayyy too wasteful of deer meat

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Well I actually had a conversation with the head of the DNR. I wrote a letter to him, explaining my concerns. It was informative. He did mention that the crop damage permits have been decreased at least for my part of state. I think 6 tags in the entire county.

Only thing you can do is lay off the does in hopes to increase numbers.

Saw about 20 deer last night on farm in northern Ohio. That was a fun sit. No shooters.

When you are scouting your land start big and then break it down. For example first look at your plot, hows it look, etc. Then start really looking at the plot, the lay of the land, and you'll see how the deer move. It is amazing to me how even in a field/plot the deer will have specific areas they travel more then others. Notice the trail below. WORN DOWN!
IMG_2461.JPG

The season ends this week and I will not hunt the farm anymore by choice. I don't have but one buck I want to kill. He has made it this long that I am praying he makes it one more week, I think he could be a stud next year. I have a mess of deer that should be good ones next year as well.

This walk is one I have done a thousand times but every time it feels like the first.

"country roads, take me home, to the place I belong, SE Ohio"

IMG_2462.JPG

Thank you all for following this season. The work is just about to begin. I will start habitat work, trapping coons, minerals, soil test, cutting firewood for next year, planting trees, all the week after the season ends.

Gunna be a great off season!

Nice country road picture. Always good to make a decision Not to hunt because you are happy with what you got, and what can be. Be careful out there in the woods with shovel and chain saw

Nice country road picture. Always good to make a decision Not to hunt because you are happy with what you got, and what can be. Be careful out there in the woods with shovel and chain saw

Thank you buddy! Yes the farm is just a special place in my heart. Aint the best hunting in the world, aint the best in the county, but its mine and at the end of the day I am blessed to call it that.

Always try to be careful, when it gets tricky is when you are trying to hold a chainsaw and a beer! HAHAH JOKING!

The season ends this week and I will not hunt the farm anymore by choice. I don't have but one buck I want to kill. He has made it this long that I am praying he makes it one more week, I think he could be a stud next year. I have a mess of deer that should be good ones next year as well.

This walk is one I have done a thousand times but every time it feels like the first.

"country roads, take me home, to the place I belong, SE Ohio"

View attachment 5759
You aren't in Texas anymore Buck. But then, maybe you could've brought some of their deer back with you. Cool pic, does look like home.

You aren't in Texas anymore Buck. But then, maybe you could've brought some of their deer back with you. Cool pic, does look like home.

HAHA thanks bud! I tell ya I love Ohio deer, I am very satisfied with the deer I hunt year in and out. I am just so picky. I have some great farms to hunt and I pass so many deer trying to kill a 130+ and often a 160+. Then the end of the season comes and I think, shoot! I probably should have killed one I passed, haha!

Well the off season preparation has officially started. I received my soil sample kits and will be taking some samples in the next couple of weeks.

I love the off season, sometimes as much as deer season!

Back in a stand on farm in northern Ohio. Well see what happens. It's cold and I'm honestly starting to burn out on deer hunting but I got to try it!

Back in a stand on farm in northern Ohio. Well see what happens. It's cold and I'm honestly starting to burn out on deer hunting but I got to try it!

Well saw a few does last night. Nothing close enough to even shoot. I am going to church tonight so I won't be hunting this evening. I am putting my cousin in a stand. Tomorrow is last day of Ohio's season. I am thinking I am going to just wait till next year and get back after it.

My season was up and down. I didn't kill a single deer but overall I am grateful for the time I had to hunt!

All but one of the bucks using our place have already shed out...Early for us because I usually don't start finding sheds until mid march...

All but one of the bucks using our place have already shed out...Early for us because I usually don't start finding sheds until mid march...

That is wild, our season just ended yesterday. I have to check cameras but a couple of days ago I still had bucks on camera holding. Actually not even one had shed yet!

I suspect our properties are not that far apart.

On my land, bucks almost always shed around the end of the year.

20 miles away on my dad's ground, most hold until February or march.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haven't checked a majority of my cameras yet but my cell cam I have one shed buck coming in in Stark county and in guernsey county last Saturday we had a shed buck come in but don't know yet what the percentage of deer are still holding. I know it's different all over .. regardless I'm not going to start trudging through the woods till march tho haha

Haven't checked a majority of my cameras yet but my cell cam I have one shed buck coming in in Stark county and in guernsey county last Saturday we had a shed buck come in but don't know yet what the percentage of deer are still holding. I know it's different all over .. regardless I'm not going to start trudging through the woods till march tho haha

I'll probably look a little this weekend but not hard. Most deer I don't believe have shed yet. I'll look at cameras on Saturday for sure

Back