Ohio Farm Tours

I couldn't tell from the pic if that was MFR. Basically it has a curved thorn that once felt or even seen will not be forgotten. To kill it I just spray it with roundup the day it leafs out and then again when it begins to re-sprout leaves. That puts a hurting on it. Also spraying and then mowing a few days later and spraying again when it reappears does it in here.

Important though---when mowing I back into it but not so far as to drive over the thorns. Luckily the patches of MFR here are all small so far. And I am trying to keep it that way. Good luck with it.

I couldn't tell from the pic if that was MFR. Basically it has a curved thorn that once felt or even seen will not be forgotten. To kill it I just spray it with roundup the day it leafs out and then again when it begins to re-sprout leaves. That puts a hurting on it. Also spraying and then mowing a few days later and spraying again when it reappears does it in here.

Important though---when mowing I back into it but not so far as to drive over the thorns. Luckily the patches of MFR here are all small so far. And I am trying to keep it that way. Good luck with it.

Thanks. This is on the side of a hill and in areas I could only cut it with snips. I am thinking about cutting and spraying with a back pack sprayer. Not sure if that'll help native browse but I'd assume it has too.

As usual, you been a busy man Buck. Place looking great. Loved the cabin pick. As chain said, main diff between MFR and GB is the first will have a fishhook thorn, whereas GB is more a straight thorn. Also GB usually more green looking stem although MFR can look similar with early growth. My deer do browse both year round especially new growth. Repeated mowing will set it back and even kill it as will gly spray. But seeds spread by birds and inherent resprouting will bring it back regardless. It is a constant work. I have both on property, and really deer browse both equally. And MFR is one of the first greenup shrubs in late winter. I nailed a 1 inch thorn from a dead stem in my leg yesterday and I squealled like a little girl.

As usual, you been a busy man Buck. Place looking great. Loved the cabin pick. As chain said, main diff between MFR and GB is the first will have a fishhook thorn, whereas GB is more a straight thorn. Also GB usually more green looking stem although MFR can look similar with early growth. My deer do browse both year round especially new growth. Repeated mowing will set it back and even kill it as will gly spray. But seeds spread by birds and inherent resprouting will bring it back regardless. It is a constant work. I have both on property, and really deer browse both equally. And MFR is one of the first greenup shrubs in late winter. I nailed a 1 inch thorn from a dead stem in my leg yesterday and I squealled like a little girl.

Gb? What does that stand for and do you feel t is worth trying to eradicate? Just let it go. It is super thick but somehow the deer make it through it into the plots.

GB would be greenbrier. A little more prefered for browse and doesn't have quite the evil thorn but still a beast to walk thru. Either can be overwhelming especially in heavy timber cuts. I've seen both so thick no way an animal can walk thru. But if not overwhelming, they will bed within it in heavy pressure times such a rifle season. My son annually shoots a nice buck along a cliff edge covered with this stuff and it is a bear of a retrieval. I try to mow it but dont have energy to spray all the areas. Only place I really work hard at it is behind my house. And it still comes back with spray and mowing every few years.

Good work on expanding the orchard Al, looks great.

Thanks buddy. This is actually just the yard orchard so we are going to plant maybe one or two more rows in it if I ever find time to clear out some more GB and MFR down below the orchard currently. Once I do that I could easily fit another 10-15 trees. Boy would that be sweet someday!

Couple more pictures from the farm this weekend. Bobcats are not legal to hunt in Ohio, however we are covered up in them. This is a nice sized cat!

IMG_2577.JPG

If you are not in the woods in March, you are missing out on great opportunities to see sign like you cannot see any other time of year. I love to shed hunt/ and just walk the woods in March.

Sometimes you get lucky and find a trail like this:
IMG_2592.JPG

I definitely don't want MFR to take hold but the green brier is tame in comparison and is a good winter food for the deer and is actually a welcome sight here.The MFR in comparison will rip your best jackets in one walk thru and the deer eat very little and don't seem to really like it. The grouse do eat the red seeds of the MFR but there is other food available for the grouse.

I agree with you on getting out in March. The trails are so obvious. Actually your picture of march is what our April looks like.

As I woke up Saturday morning I took a nice walk to the Stonehenge food plot. As I stopped to thank God for all that I am blessed with I noticed the over-seeding of oats, rye, ww, turnips really filled in nicely after the beans have been demolished. Although I still till, and I haven't noticed a reduced OM in my soil. I do buy into the offering as much growth all year is not only good for your soil, it is also good for your deer.

The 2 acre field is just a green carpet where the deer are hammering anything that is left over. Not bad for broadcasting into standing beans!
IMG_2572.JPG

I definitely don't want MFR to take hold but the green brier is tame in comparison and is a good winter food for the deer and is actually a welcome sight here.The MFR in comparison will rip your best jackets in one walk thru and the deer eat very little and don't seem to really like it. The grouse do eat the red seeds of the MFR but there is other food available for the grouse.

I agree with you on getting out in March. The trails are so obvious. Actually your picture of march is what our April looks like.

I need to look more into my MFR and GB.

We had some greenups but it was only 38-45 degrees this past weekend at lows in 30s this past weekend. Finally we are starting to warm up , this week getting up into the 65s-70range I believe! The turkeys are ready for it!

Well got a great weekend at the farm. It is always way to short! However I got a lot done. Started off by fixing the Polaris, finally got the new stud and tire back on. It is working like a charm!

After that it was time to check some cameras. IT was funny to see these two bucks still holding antlers much past the season. I do believe they have all shed out now though. They are already hitting the minerals pretty hard that I have put out for them.

View attachment 6448
View attachment 6449

Should be two good bucks next year!

Man those are some great looking youngsters right there! Great potential! And totally agree man March for me is what I call the deadliest month haha cuz that's when I find out the most info on the property from scouting and coming up with a plan of attack I guess you could say for the following season. I think a lot of people overlook this time of year because they aren't thinking about actually shooting a deer..thinking or looking for other things

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Man those are some great looking youngsters right there! Great potential! And totally agree man March for me is what I call the deadliest month haha cuz that's when I find out the most info on the property from scouting and coming up with a plan of attack I guess you could say for the following season. I think a lot of people overlook this time of year because they aren't thinking about actually shooting a deer..thinking or looking for other things

Dan happy to see ya back on here brother! I know you been busy via Facebook finding sheds and all wanted to make sure you didn't leave us on the forum.

I tell you I have been covered up in nice young deer. I am hoping this next year will be a standout year at the farm. I am going to be planting heavy on the brassica side in my big plots. On my smaller plots I am going back to clover/chicory combos and overseeing with grains/brassicas in fall.

Amazing how fast the time goes and we are already focusing on next year!

Dan happy to see ya back on here brother! I know you been busy via Facebook finding sheds and all wanted to make sure you didn't leave us on the forum.

I tell you I have been covered up in nice young deer. I am hoping this next year will be a standout year at the farm. I am going to be planting heavy on the brassica side in my big plots. On my smaller plots I am going back to clover/chicory combos and overseeing with grains/brassicas in fall.

Amazing how fast the time goes and we are already focusing on next year!

Haha yea I haven't been on here in a while because I haven't been down to the main farm in a while but hopefully changing that this weekend to check up on everything checking cameras and finally doing shed hunting down there..

But yea man you got a ton of nice ones on the property right now from all the pictures ive seen you should definitely have a couple different shooters next fall to choose from!

I think we are doing the same with our plots this year.. keeping it kind of simple probably not doing beans this year the deer hit the clover/chic mix more during the actual deer season so like you said I think we are going to do a brassica overseeded in clover/chic/alf mix in our main plots ... we will have about 5 acres of corn planted by a local farmer in our only Ag field but it's right next to the road and in the past have had people poach deer out of it at night so good and bad

Haha yea I haven't been on here in a while because I haven't been down to the main farm in a while but hopefully changing that this weekend to check up on everything checking cameras and finally doing shed hunting down there..

But yea man you got a ton of nice ones on the property right now from all the pictures ive seen you should definitely have a couple different shooters next fall to choose from!

I think we are doing the same with our plots this year.. keeping it kind of simple probably not doing beans this year the deer hit the clover/chic mix more during the actual deer season so like you said I think we are going to do a brassica overseeded in clover/chic/alf mix in our main plots ... we will have about 5 acres of corn planted by a local farmer in our only Ag field but it's right next to the road and in the past have had people poach deer out of it at night so good and bad

Yea if a deer is in an open field on any of those back roads, they are roasted down there. I love SE Ohio but plain and simple some are a different breed! Hahaha.

Looking forward to your update! Good luck shed huntin.

Well pictures were a bit limited this past weekend at the farm. However we were able to get a lot done.

1. Got two food plots sprayed off
2. Cut up a big ash tree I fell and got it all prepped to run the splitter through it
3. Ol Toxey was excited to head to farm with me
4. Also cleared trails
5. Checked trail cameras
6. Planted 1 more apple and 2 more pear trees

Overall a great trip! Thank you for reading Happy Easter!

IMG_2625.JPG
IMG_2628.JPG
IMG_2630.JPG
IMG_2631.JPG

Gotta love that fire Buck. TOxley growing fast. When working the farm alone, I sometimes look at my dog and ask her if she'd go get help if something bad happens. Not so sure she would, just would keep digging for skunk and groundhogs. I love watching the nose on my dog, amazing how they smell something hundreds of yards away. She covered a dozen ac yesterday with nose in air till she got to the source. Has always made me more cautious of deer hunting and their noses. Happy Easter to you my friend.

Back