Oklahoma Controlled Hunts?

OkieKubota

Staff member
How many of you Okies on here apply for the Contolled hunts our state has to offer? I have had some really good luck in the past in McAlester AAP (traditional archery deer hunt), Spavinaw, Cookson, and Cherokee GMA and I even got an elk on the Wichita Mountains wildlife refuge hunt.
If you have never applied or been you might give it a try. Online application fee is just $5 person and up to 4 can apply together on some hunts...Deadline is May 15th...

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/controlledhunts.htm

How many of you Okies on here apply for the Contolled hunts our state has to offer? I have had some really good luck in the past in McAlester AAP (traditional archery deer hunt), Spavinaw, Cookson, and Cherokee GMA and I even got an elk on the Wichita Mountains wildlife refuge hunt.
If you have never applied or been you might give it a try. Online application fee is just $5 person and up to 4 can apply together on some hunts...Deadline is May 15th...

https://www.wildlifedepartment.com/controlledhunts.htm
I applied for Whichita and Cookson bull elk, and antelope. No need for the deer drawings.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I like hunting quality different areas and our state has some quality deer hunts. Killed some bruisers on these hunts...

I have never applied for a controlled hunt. I would like to apply for an elk hunt one day.

I used to apply every year but I really haven't in quite a while. I prefer to hunt where there isn't a lot of other people if at all possible. I used to go on all the youth hunts with my kids and that was fun but haven't been since they grew up. I always dreamed of drawing the Bull elk hunt or the MacAlister bow hunt but never did. I drew a muzzleloader hunt at Pushmataha WMA and didnt get anything and also Ft. Cobb. muzzleloader hunt and got a doe. My son drew a youth hunt at Ft. Cobb 2 yrs in a row and got a doe each time. I think they are great for guys that don't have a place to hunt. I've been fortunate to always have a place to hunt deer. And some of these places are way better than any land I have to hunt on thats for sure.

Dogdoc, I'd start putting in for the elk now. Chances of drawing are pretty slim, so it's best to start throwing your name in the hat early. Talking with guys that work it, it is amazing (and sometimes kinda disheartening) how many 70+ year old hunters are finally drawn after many years of applying, but by then their body just isn't able to give them the best opportunity possible.

I drew that Wichita Mountain elk hunt back in 1998 and got an elk...I met 2 guys there on my hunt that were there for their second time...it is a once a lifetime hunt now but back when I did it you couldn't put in to try for another draw for 10 years...I am actually eligible again due to a grandfather clause...

The deer hunts across the state are great as well. Really mature animals killed every year...

You can hunt elk in Texas fairly cheap. Or if you want to spend 5-10 K you can get a HUGE bull. I don't do that, i'm more of a meat hunter. I shot 2 cow elk 2 years ago and it cost me $555.00 each. I butchered them myself. My family likes venison and elk, we eat at least 1 meal a week of either fish we've caught or some game animal. Drawing an elk tag would be great but you can drive another hour west and at least get some meat if your don't get drawn.

No draws for me this year.

I've heard Fort Gibson and Gruber are nice but I don't even know where to begin on a good spot. I know that late season there is nobody there and you'll be covered up in elk if you're in the right spot.

This is the first year I have not put in for a controlled hunt in a long time. I put in every year for the Elk hunts and MCAAP hunts. My wife has aphasia and dementia and I am her care giver and her current stage I cannot leave her alone. It makes working on our land hard but not impossible, yet.

I have been luck enough to get drawn for MCAAP three times, tough hunt but fun.

picture00001.jpg

Two guys I know got drawn for Elk cow hunts this year. Congratulations to all that got drawn.

Thanks guys...

Stevie, I may have been in McAlester when you were there at some point in time...I have taken 7 deer out of there with my BW recurve...doubled twice and have a rock...

No draws for me this year.

I've heard Fort Gibson and Gruber are nice but I don't even know where to begin on a good spot. I know that late season there is nobody there and you'll be covered up in elk if you're in the right spot.

Fort Gibson only gets deer hunt by draw unlike a bunch of other areas. Even have to draw for archery there. 25 hunters there the weekend we are in and a bowhunt in October is the only other folks getting a crack at a buck. Good odds if we have good weather. I have been in there quite a bit and have good ideas of where to setup and since it is open for scouting all the way into October we will be solid by November...

Fort Gibson only gets deer hunt by draw unlike a bunch of other areas. Even have to draw for archery there. 25 hunters there the weekend we are in and a bowhunt in October is the only other folks getting a crack at a buck. Good odds if we have good weather. I have been in there quite a bit and have good ideas of where to setup and since it is open for scouting all the way into October we will be solid by November...
I was thinking of Cherokee since it's actually closer to Fort Gibson...oops

This is a map of the area...

cad4c429afe8a7cd07ca6a72bb2c6a16.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back