Orchard Rejuvenation Workshop

Sam

I'm going to a Orchard Rejuvenation Workshop this Saturday. They have multiple varieties of oranges, tangerines, lemons, grapefruits, kumquats, apples, pears, peaches, plums, figs, pomegranates, and guavas. If we have time, we may also work with muscadines, blueberries, blackberries, and raspberries. I'm very excited just a short ride from my house and family properties so no only will i get some hands on experiences but hopefully will be able to get some names of trees that work in our area maybe even some cuttings to try and propagate.

Here is a news video that was done about the garden.
http://www.wcjb.com/local-news/2017/01/whats-growing-mockernut-hill

That looks like a super workshop coming up. A search for Mockernut Hill botanical garden brought up a lot of info about the property and the instructor. Very qualified to teach us. I look forward to hearing about your adventure Sam.

It was a fun morning. Sadly most of the tree we worked on are in such sad shape they aren't going to make it much longer. I also failed and didn't take pictures. We shaped/trimmed up a pomegranate, plums, peaches, apple, pears, and a couple citrus. We scored some cutting from plums and peaches, not sure what kind they are but they have grown into huge 10-15yr trees and have produced lots of fruit over the years. Newbe question i stuck them in some pots but will they need to be grafted on root stock or am i going trying to root them?

Sadly those are too far gone to do anything with. Scion needs to be cut and placed into cold storage right away. Once it loses dormancy like those in your picture you will have little to no success grafting and thats if you grafted them as I type this. Very few trees root well from cuttings like that. Even then you would want to go about it in a different manner than what you have there.
Pull them and stick them in a vase and enjoy the blossoms for a few days!

Back