Over-wintering Chestnut Seedlings

timrod

I'm looking for some advice on over-wintering some chestnut seedlings that are going to be first year plants. They are currently in 2gal pots, and 12-24" tall. What should I do so I can plant them in the spring, yet keep them alive through the winter? I would just plant them now, but the area I want them to be is currently under construction. (Pond area)

Tim,

Do you have a building that is not heated but has one good window on the south side of it. If you do have this, I would try to overwinter them in that building. I want them to get some mild sunlight. If I have a cold concrete floor, try to get some old Styrofoam to put under them.

Get some old boxes if possible and collect leaves in garbage bags. Put the garbage bags in the boxes and make a tight formation of the seedlings and put those boxes around them. If you can keep that building in the high 30s you will be good.

If you get a timer that controls 24 hours at 30 minute interval you can protect them with a couple of chicken lights. Put light on them in the coldest of time.

I overwinter persimmons one winter by snugging them against the house where I had a great wind screen in place. I did leaves in a box with the garbage bags over the outside of the box. I put leaves over the top of them. I keep the wind from hammering them and they made it thru. If you have round pots, put leaves in the area between the pots to eliminate air infiltration.

One option - find a greenhouse that will overwinter them for a slight fee.

I hope these ideas give you something to work with.

I overwintered potted trees one winter by stacking straw around them. Basically i divided straw bales into maybe 6 parts and made something of a shelter around and between and on top of the pots. Those trees lived. We dont have bad winters here though.
This year, wanting to be extra careful, i am going to do something of the same inside of my pole barn. I will water them as needed to maintain some moisture.

Done this for years now with great success. Google hoop house made from cattle fence.Build one.cover with white 6 mil plastic keep both ends open,but protect with fence so rabbits can't get in.Put all pots in there once they go dormant and loose leaves.water thoroughly before a freeze and that's it.they will freeze solid,that's ok.it the thawing and freezing regularly that kills them.I do this with all oaks,chestnut, pear,persimmon, crabapple,and even my grafts go in there about February to heal up.

I'm looking for some advice on over-wintering some chestnut seedlings that are going to be first year plants. They are currently in 2gal pots, and 12-24" tall. What should I do so I can plant them in the spring, yet keep them alive through the winter? I would just plant them now, but the area I want them to be is currently under construction. (Pond area)

I would over-winter them for you in my greenhouse but Montgomery County is a bit of a ways away from me.

Timrod,

My greenhouse has electrical pvc - as opposed to metal. You could build a small hoop house on the cheap and take it down only to re-use it next year. How many plants will you be carrying thru the winter. How tall are your plants?

I would be glad to share with you what I learned about building one. My greenhouse is 16 by 26 with water, electrical and a gravel floor. I have 2 by 8 as baseboards. My hoops are not in concrete - I can replace one if it was to break. I have wood end walls.

Hope things are good for you.

They are actually in Tazewell county, blizzard. but the great weather we have been having has allowed all of the dirtwork to get completed ahead of schedule. I'm going to try and get them in the ground one day this week. We will see. Thanks Wayne for the suggestions, I think worse case scenario I can build something in my garage, but planting seems like the best option

Tazewell to Clark would be a bit of a jaunt to winter some trees. My greenhouse is 40x80 and other than trying to grow some trees in there this winter its empty. We used to grow a few flower/plants etc for our shops but have found that it is cheaper to just buy plants as needed so the greenhouse sits empty anymore. It is a lot easier buying a few plants, sell them and get new when needed than trying to water and keep hundreds of plants alive until they sell.

Back