Overwintering Persimmon Seeds and Acorns

ok

What are the tricks/methods to get them to germinate?

bill

I don't have answers, but my seeds finally made some progress
I've been stressing out over my persimmons, too, and I was watching this conversation with interest. I collected persimmons from fresh fruit, allowed them to decay, then cleaned them well, soaked for a while, dried off, and split out into baggies. Into the fridge, wait till January. For 2 weeks I've had a dozen in damp growing media by a window nearly above the heating wood stove. On Wednesday I was pleased to find 5 persimmons had sprouted radicles.
172082192rsz2.jpg
2 persimmon seeds have sprouted.

172082199rsz2.jpg
I transplanted 5 seeds into trays. more will follow. (hopefully)

Last edited:
Looks good, very few persimmons around my coastal region of the state. I had ordered 50 bareroots form the state forest service but hurricane matthew changed those plans. If i can find some seeds im going to start from seed.

Persimmon seeds take a little patience. If you really want to test your patience then try some paw paw seeds.

Im thinking a few persimmon and pears from the produce stand will get me some more seeds to play with since I cant find any acorns this time of year

Persimmon seeds take a little patience. If you really want to test your patience then try some paw paw seeds.
Dogdoc, how do you nudge persimmons into germination? After 3 months of refrigeration, do you place them in moist sphagnum moss and place them in a warm place? Or maybe 2 days in the fridge, 2 days out, repeat like chestnuts?
Thanks.

Im thinking a few persimmon and pears from the produce stand will get me some more seeds to play with since I cant find any acorns this time of year
Charlieyca, last week I bought a few apples from a local orchard and some of the seeds inside already had little root radicles growing.
Also, I have extra persimmons if you need some. I'm a beginner and only have a few persimmons that have already sprung small roots, so I'm hesitant to make bold claims about how viable they are. :)

I just bought 4 asian pears, 4 gala apples and 4 persimmons from a little produce stand down the street on my lunch break! Thats about all the room I will have once they sprout (hopefully)

Must be nice. I never see persimmons for sale up here so I jumped at the opportunity last fall to collect fruits from a wild tree in Virginia.

Next time I'm at my place I'll grab you some seeds if you still want some. They are scattered all over my place.

Dogdoc, how do you nudge persimmons into germination? After 3 months of refrigeration, do you place them in moist sphagnum moss and place them in a warm place? Or maybe 2 days in the fridge, 2 days out, repeat like chestnuts?
Thanks.
After 90 days in the fridge I just plant them directly in my RM 18 trays. I place some Saran wrap over it to hold in heat and moisture. As soon as I see the first seed start to pop out I remove the Saran wrap. It's very rare for one not to germinate.

2 of 8 seeds in my apple for lunch were already germinating. Still cold stratify or put it in the dirt?
I soaked my fresh-but-already-germinating apple seeds in water for 12 hours, dried them on a paper towel, and then placed them inside the re-moistened paper towel in a sandwich bag and dropped in the refrigerator crisper. I would have just planted them into seed trays, but I my free time is extremely limited and the peaches, pears, persimmons, and chestnuts that have already germinated are using that time. So, I put my seeds in the fridge for safe keeping until I have time to set up a larger seed working area.

I would like to trade some seed. I have about 40 swamp chestnut acorns in the fridge, would you like some ?
I'm almost at burn out with trees and seeds right now so just PM me your address and I'll mail you some seeds. I have to collect some first but I passed at least 10 piles of persimmon seed packed scat on my place Wednesday. Heck, I still have a few trees that have shriveled up persimmons still on them.

Maybe wayne wants some, feel like I need to carry my weight by sharing something since my knowledge so far isnt worth a whole lot!

Have any of you scarified persimmon trees by boiling? I've done it with honeylocust with great success. I just got some common persimmon from Sheffield's, and I don't know if they had them in cold storage or what, so I've got them in the 'fridge.

BTW, if anyone is looking for gobbler sawtooth acorns, I've got a ton. I bought a few from Sheffield's, and he called me saying their acorns had already sprouted a radicle and they needed to get rid of them, so he sent me a big bag of them for the same price as a tiny bag. I've probably got 50-60 at least. I won't need that many.

Back