Persimmon grafting......why not early?

CAS_HNTR

I grow a bunch each year, why cant I graft them year 2-3 like you would an apple?

I always see them field grafted to big trees.

I grow a bunch each year, why cant I graft them year 2-3 like you would an apple?

I always see them field grafted to big trees.

You can graft seedlings. I have grafted seedlings that were 2 years also and trees in the field that were too small to bark graft.

The reason you see us grafting larger trees in the field is because we are converting male (non fruit producing) trees to female trees.

You can graft seedlings. I have grafted seedlings that were 2 years also and trees in the field that were too small to bark graft.

The reason you see us grafting larger trees in the field is because we are converting male (non fruit producing) trees to female trees.
You just w & t them too?

I am converting native trees to improved varieties. And I already have the rootstock so no planting or babysitting the trees.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I have w & t grafted many persimmon seedlings successfully. Like Doc mentioned, in the field we usually dont get after them until they have some size. Either thats when i find them, or they arent female trees.
Sure is fun finding a new persimmon to be grafted. :D

Back