Persimmon leaves brown and dropping

Heart shot

Hello all,

My first post, used to post occasionally on the old site, but not much. Signed up here, but taken some time to post.

I recently bought a house on 3 acres and I have a bunch of persimmons, both male and female. Well recently 2 in the front yard have had the leaves brown up and start dropping. They are right next to 2 Bradford pairs that also had the same thing happen about 1 month ago.

Do you think this would be fire blight? Can persimmon get FB?

I don't have a picture now, but wanted to know if Bradford pairs and persimmon can get FB.

Thx

Bradford pears can get FB. Doesn't kill the Bradford but they can be a constant source of FB. To my knowledge persimmons do not get FB. My guess is it would either be a moisture issue or some type of insect damage.

Persimmons dont get FB. So, hard to say what the issue is. Moisture? Insects?

Ok thanks, I did not think they would get FB, but with them right next to the bradfords I wasn't sure if I was missing something. The other persimmon on the property look great.

I actually just saw this same thing on one of my new farms. I was excited to have located several persimmon trees on the property and when I went back to see how well they had produced I found dried up persimmons on the ground. The tree itself looks ok and there are still some persimmons hanging on them as well. I was stumped to as why they had dropped so many on the ground though. My best guess was that maybe wind had blew them off during a storm a couple of weeks ago. Maybe I should go check the tree a little closer and make sure that it is still doing alright after hearing this.

Ive got a persimmon in a partucularly moist location that looks terrible. I do see leaf spotting on some trees, and i attribute that to rainfall and a fungal issue which likely could cause leaf drop.

Persimmon leaves can get to looking horrible but it doesn't have a negative impact on the ones I have observed to fruit and prosper.

I would break the rules of this forum if I said what I think about Bradford Pears....:D

Heart Shot,

Welcome to the forum. It pays to ask for help as you see. The more you post the more comfortable you will become.

Glad u r here.

Yes welcome, I overlooked that it was your first post. You will love posting here. It is better than the old QD??? something - can't remember what that was....:D

Thx guys, I hate Bradford pairs too. Can't wait to cut them down, but they provide great shade and not ready to loose that. With the FB they have I am thinking they will have to go soon.

I'm hoping the persimmon bounce back

My persimmon in IL are experiencing the same thing. 45 days ago the branches were breaking from the crop now the trees are almost defoliated and the crop is on the ground. The leaves had dark brown to black spots on what was left.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

In my part of illinois the tent worms on persimmon is as bad as ive ever seen. Conversly most of may fruiting trees have some of the largest crops i can remember. Most leaves are black and brown spotted and look terrible but like native said, fruit looks great. Persimmons seem to be almost bullet proof.

It's not uncommon for persimmons to drop leaves early in late summer, they brown up sooner than most others. I've got probably 100+ on my place and I've noticed this each year. It's just what persimmons do.

Is there any answer to why they are dropping persimmons on the ground before becoming ripe? I have not seen this before on the persimmon trees around here.

the seven will kill them dead and you can get liquid if needed.I powdered mine yesterday and they were dead in an hour

Back