Planting brassicas - drag or cultipack?

If you use a chain harrow to bury brassica seed, will it bury the seeds too deep? Would I be better off cultipacking? Perhaps drag then cultipack?

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Both work fine. But if you have a cultipacker, I'd suggest using it. Firming the soil via that technique ensures good "seed to soil contact" and the compressed soil retains moisture near the surface better as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Deer Hunter Forum

Drag>pack>seed>pack, pray for rain.
You could skip the 1st packing if the ground isn't too deeply torn up from dragging.
Radish (also a brassica) can handle slightly deeper planting than the tiny-seed brassica varieties.

Drag>pack>seed>pack, pray for rain.
You could skip the 1st packing if the ground isn't too deeply torn up from dragging.
Radish (also a brassica) can handle slightly deeper planting than the tiny-seed brassica varieties.

THIS ^^^ Is the best advice for brassica seeding.

The key is to firm up the seedbed before you seed, and then pack it again, after. If you just drag, broadcast and then pack, you will probably have good success, but some seed may still be buried too deeply to germinate. Getting the seeding rate correct is important with brassica, so they don't crowd each other out. That means broadcasting at the correct rate and using the right process for good germination. Drag>pack>seed>pack is the best way for most folks to achieve those goals.

Back