Planting soybeans or corn without seeder/no till question

Vandy

Just curious if this is the right way to go about planting soybeans or I guess corn (mainly beans though) through broadcasting.

1) till ground with lime/fert (this would be with a tractor tiller)
2) drag plot with harrow to level
2) broadcast beans/corn on fresh tilled/dragged dirt
3) cultipack (this would be with a real cultipacker I think it weighs in at 375-400lbs cast iron everything)

Just trying to get an idea on if this would achieve as close of planting depth without use of seeder/drill.

Thank you all for response

Just curious if this is the right way to go about planting soybeans or I guess corn (mainly beans though) through broadcasting.

1) till ground with lime/fert (this would be with a tractor tiller)
2) drag plot with harrow to level
2) broadcast beans/corn on fresh tilled/dragged dirt
3) cultipack (this would be with a real cultipacker I think it weighs in at 375-400lbs cast iron everything)

Just trying to get an idea on if this would achieve as close of planting depth without use of seeder/drill.

Thank you all for response
You have the right ideas and good equipment for the job, but your seed won't be deep enough. Ideally corn at 2" and beans at 1 1\2" is required for good germination rates. Seed them after the tiller so the soil is rougher then drag or cultipack depending on your soil type. Or drag seed and drag again. Seed at heavier rates if you are broadcasting.

Just a side note; corn and beans usually don't work well if you have less than two acres. Adjust this number up or down according to the size of the local deer herd and how close you are to other ag fields.

Mennoniteman- thank you for the response. I kinda figured that just seeding after tilling is the way to go. The few places that I would want to do this vary from no real ag land near by to literally 40 acre away which I probably would stay away from in those situations as well. I full expect deer to demolish plots... if early enough it might be possible to do a buck wheat type mix over the top then (at least I think it could be done, still a lot of learning to do)

Buckwheat is a good soil conditioner for poor soil and deer will eat it, but deer seem to prefer other crops first. If the corn and beans don't work out consider a late summer planting of clover radishes and winter wheat or oats. You have the perfect equipment for those, till, drag, broadcast and cultipack. A real killer shooting plot!

I till then broadcast beans/corn then lightly till to bury the seeds. If you put your tiller 2" then majority of your seeds with be buried 1". I don't have a cultipacker, but if I did I would use it after burying the seeds. I get a great plot every year (as long as I get rain )

I planted my first soybean plot on Saturday.. 4 acres. My tools include an offset disk, cultipacker, and a broadcast spreader.
My sequence was as follows:
1) Heavy disk with disks at most aggressive angle
2) Disk with least aggressive angle
3) Cultipack
4) Broadcast Seed
5) Light Disk 1-2"
6) Cultipack

We'll see how it does.... I think in the future I could skip Steps 3 and 5, and just seed after the first light disking.... but being unfamiliar with the new spreader I wanted to actually see the seed distribution as I went, which was easier on a cultipacked surface.

Thank you guys for all the help. I really want to try it this year on a plot by the house although that plot is .5arce but I do have a spot up north that I could do a 1-2 acre that I know would be better suited for the amount of pressure the beans will get. I figure the .5acre will be pure dirt by late summer (5-6 deer consitantly on 14acres). Then I could always do the radish/oats/etc there

Back