Pond Upgrade

TheOldOak

Decided the pond just wanted big or deep enough. Didn't have the cash to build it the size I wanted when we first had it done about 6 years ago. Fast forward 6 years. Amazing what you can do with a little Kubota tractor. It is a Kubota with attitude though, it believes it is a bulldozer, haha. About 25 hours on the tractor with box blade and FEL working, amazing the amount of dirt you can move. Only about spilled it into the pond once. Close call made me realize slow and steady wins the race on this stuff. Turned into a much larger project than I initially thought. Just need it to rain now, Indiana has missed most of the recent showers, dry as a bone which actually worked in my favor as the pond was already down 18 inches. Check out the picture show.

Couple of pics before this project by started.
d230fdde06dc137fdf9ea26ae4954c07.jpg
9b05b09c27202f126eda2261a300b7f1.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Dam stage, raised it about four feet, which took an incredible amount of dirt to build the backwall. Took the dirt from around the edges, fortunately the dirt is mostly clay in this spot and holds water great.
35da0e38db71ec46ac1764fc268cb1a4.jpg
2b0bb0dabf3b22c978241abd077eda14.jpg

Final stages of dam. Didn't take a whole pond picture yet, but you get the idea. Watered in oats and clover seed, I never miss an opportunity to create a new food plot, LOL.
1bcf6010ad753d2598b513c8330dadff.jpg
e2969c7dd0b21eb189cd1555d79a94c0.jpg

Hope you got good compaction.

This ^^^^^, plus I hope you skinned the vegetation off of the dam before you added the dirt. If not, you may be in for a surprise. I don’t mean to criticize but dirt needs to go onto dirt to really bind. The optimum would have been to strip off the vegetation, scarify the dam, then add your fill in 8” to 1’ lifts. The only compaction you probably got was where your tires actually rolled. That may be enough, and then it may not. Good luck, you cannot have too much water for the most part.

Back