pruning before tubing?

I did my mullberries in late spring but can probably be done anytime with them. I just cut some new growth off the tree. Left two leaves on each plant. Took a knife and made a few scrapes on the part I'm sticking in soil. Coat the part of the cutting I want to root with raw honey and stick in a pot. Just used plain miracle grow potting soil. Had about 75% success. I found out later I also needed a male tree so went and found a male tree and repeated. They are all planted at my 160 in the same general area so I only planted 2 male trees. I put the cuttings in small 4" pots with a large tray. Put the tray of 4" pots in a white trash bag to act as a greenhouse. Worked like a charm. You can google it---lot's of videos on rooting cutting on youtube.

I did my mullberries in late spring but can probably be done anytime with them. I just cut some new growth off the tree. Left two leaves on each plant. Took a knife and made a few scrapes on the part I'm sticking in soil. Coat the part of the cutting I want to root with raw honey and stick in a pot. Just used plain miracle grow potting soil. Had about 75% success. I found out later I also needed a male tree so went and found a male tree and repeated. They are all planted at my 160 in the same general area so I only planted 2 male trees. I put the cuttings in small 4" pots with a large tray. Put the tray of 4" pots in a white trash bag to act as a greenhouse. Worked like a charm. You can google it---lot's of videos on rooting cutting on youtube.
Think it has to be done in pots, or could you put them in their final place and expect decent results?
Thanks for the explanation.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Think it has to be done in pots, or could you put them in their final place and expect decent results?
Thanks for the explanation.

Brush has done that with willow or poplar trees but he uses lumite with the cuttings to hold in moisture. I'm not saying it can't be done but I don't think it would be very successful.

Brush has done that with willow or poplar trees but he uses lumite with the cuttings to hold in moisture. I'm not saying it can't be done but I don't think it would be very successful.
Thanks.

Raw honey?

Raw honey?
You want to get honey from a bee keeper. You don't want to use pasteurized honey that you get at a grocery store. Google "Raw Honey". The honey provides great energy (high sugar) for the cutting but the antibacterial/antifungal properties of the honey keep the scion from getting infected and dying/rotting before producing roots. I have better luck using raw honey as a root hormone over the OTC powder you get at the garden center. Google "raw honey rooting hormone" - lots of info on the WWW

https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/garden-how-to/info/honey-root-hormone.htm

Back